Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO VII vs. STI VII articles...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2002, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VII vs. STI VII articles...

Hi guys. I am going to buy one of these cars and I'm very interested in all articles putting the two against each other. I found the following article and it appears to show the strengths and weaknesses of each car pretty well.

scroll down to "Twin Test - Mitsubishi Evo VII vs Subaru Impreza STi"
EVO vs. STI

If anyone has some good articles on the two please post them. It appears the EVO will corner better with a sharper turn in as well as a higher exit speed, as long as the surface is pretty flat. Any major imperfections and it tends to "skip" a bit while the STI soaks up the bumps very well. Also telling is the lack of low end torque of the STI while the EVO has a HUGE advantage in this area, delivering great pull from any gear and speed. Damn, I wish the EVO had as nice an interior as the STI. That's one sweet view from the drivers seat.

Comments?
Old Feb 22, 2002, 08:22 PM

I like this quote

But Evo is madder and badder overall
Old Feb 22, 2002, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Claudius, I think your middle paragraph might not be as true for the VII as the previous versions. The VII is based on the Mitsubishi Cedia family sedan. Yes, other than the shell it is practically a different car. But technically, it is now based on the Cedia.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

EvoLuvr,

If you are looking for both sides to the EVO VII vs. STi story, don't forget to check out i-club.com as well. Several recent threads in the rumors forums have had interesting comments from those who have driven both. Mike7 on this board has driven both and was neutral on which is the best.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Claudius,

Yes, sad but true to those of us living in the land of "sport" SUVs and watered-down imports. At least we finally got the WRX, even though it was the ugly, heavier version. And now we get the heavier, reportedly less raw version of the EVO.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius

BTW, the Subaru forums merely say that the Evo uses more gas, not that it is slower. And that the interior is not as nice, which I also think is true and have stated above.
Would you say an Evo gets at least 20 mpg in stock trim? Would it be better or worse?
Old Feb 23, 2002, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by danc
EvoLuvr,

If you are looking for both sides to the EVO VII vs. STi story, don't forget to check out i-club.com as well. Several recent threads in the rumors forums have had interesting comments from those who have driven both. Mike7 on this board has driven both and was neutral on which is the best.
Thanks for the heads up danc. I've been a member of the I-club for well over a year, even though I don't own a subaru. I don't post over there but I have read many of the threads in both the rumors and factory forced induction sections. My biggest concern is the understeer of the sti. Unless it is an easily solved problem, like maybe with a thicker anti-roll bar in the rear, then it is not what I would consider a "drivers" car. I will be tracking this car at road courses so the handling characteristics at the very limit of adhesion is important to me, although it will be my daily driver as well.

For a daily driver the seemless power of the EVO wins over the lag-challenged STI, yet the drivers cockpit and ability to soak up the bumps of the STI wins over the EVO. Then again the animal that the EVO is on the track offsets the plainer interior and harsh ride.

I need to put a deposit down on one of them soon. I would like to drive them both but I may just end up buying which ever one gets here first, which is looking like the EVO at this point.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 04:22 AM

Mike7 on this board has driven both and was neutral on which is the best.
As I have said many times, I have driven both and the Evo wins in every way except 2.

The STi has soft suspension for gentle cruising so doesn't shake your fillings out (but handles worse)

The STi exhaust sounds better.

And that is comparing a standard 7 to the STi. Compare an STi with a tuned Evo.............
Old Feb 24, 2002, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmmmm, it has all been said about 654321584 times.... My advice is, don't listen to anyone and judge for yourself, that way you know what car you like.
BUT when you drive them you WILL find out that the Evo is quicker..... hehehehehe.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Look at them both, drive them both, decide on which would be more fun to mod, and go with it. Why listen to what someone else likes better.

Some people say that tidy whities fit better than boxers, that doesn't mean I have to switch.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

i prefer Body by Calvin Klein
Second Skin Satin by Victoria Secret is pretty good too. Ooops!

Yea, test drive both STi and Evo and it's highly unlikely that most of us will be able to take both cars to the limit constantly. So it really doesnt matter if carA is 2 secs quicker than carB.

Quick Reply: EVO VII vs. STI VII articles...