Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Any STi to EVO IX converts? opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any STi to EVO IX converts? opinions?

Who's sold their STi and went to a EVO IX, what do you think? what do you like over the sti? what do you miss?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Search" especially when you've been around here for awhile
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WRX to IX right here.

Ive been in many modded STi's.

I love the EVO and cant complain one bit. WAAYY more moddable. You can gain so much more whp for so much less. It feels weird to buy a brand new turboback for $775 shipped. If that was a Subaru > $1k.

No comparison with handling either. EVO >>> STi
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Was at South Coast Mitsubishi yesterday.

They had two traded 06 STI's on the lot.

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9"Miss Rose"
"Search" especially when you've been around here for awhile
Well the reason I ask now is because the IX's have been out long enough to have issues or have given time for the owners to make a distinct comparison between it and their previous STi, it looks like my subaru is prolly sold next week and i'll be picking up a GG IX but i don't want to regret it
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostFrenzy
Well the reason I ask now is because the IX's have been out long enough to have issues or have given time for the owners to make a distinct comparison between it and their previous STi, it looks like my subaru is prolly sold next week and i'll be picking up a GG IX but i don't want to regret it
OIC..you wont have Regrets!!! thats a promise. sooo many Happy Campers when getting a IX...just some basic mods and your at 330WHP already and thats not even spending more then 1300.. 400whp is just around the corner... esepecially when you have the EVO'S cornering ability (suspension Superb) you'll be glad that you traded in your STI..sorry for the flame!!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had an 04 STi and moved ti a IX MR. If you want to ask me whatever questions you want, feel free to PM me.

I'd say "search" but the differences in owning an STi or Evo have to come from experience of owning both, and that's not common.

I didn't WANT to sell my STi for any reason, I LOVED that car. However, it was stolen, so I HAD to move on. I did a writeup from first impressions on a local rocky mountain forum.

Have a read here: my 04 STi vs 06 Evo MR comparison on AWDpirates.net

I'll be adding more information soon since I've had the Evo for about 5 months and have done some significant modifications.

Basically the STi felt more punchy and the drivetrain was incredible.. It seemed to have more personality. I miss the brutal strength of the transmission and the sound of the exhaust the most. The car is brutally powerful.. With the sound of the exhaust and bulging hood scoop, the car demands respect. With a few minor tweaks to the suspension, it will handle just as well as the Evo. Later models (especially the 06s) are supposed to have much improved turn-in feel.

The Evo is a little more like an assassin. Not nearly as much personality, but much more accurate and smooth. There's no surprises, just telepathic handling and power input. That's what I like most about the Evo, is that it's more of an extension of you than something you control. The seats, the smaller steering wheel, the quicker steering ratio, they all work together to increase control.

The Evo IS easier to mod HEAVILY. That's the benefit of using an engine block that's been around for over a decade. You can get the STi block to stupid power levels as well, it's just more expensive to do so.

Basic modifications are the same on both cars (exhaust, intake, coilovers, interior stuff, etc). However installing a front swaybar on the Evo looks nearly impossible..

Let me know if you've got any more questions. What exactly are your goals/needs?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:09 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
bulging hood scoop
You mean the snow shovel? :-)

Thanks for taking the time. It's an interesting read.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

wheelhaus... nice review. i too am hoping to hear more from sti to evo converts. i know the differences in the car but i'm more worried about the maintence and clutch/t-case issues.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:00 PM

i'm mainly looking for more straight line performance i've went 12.7@107 w/ the STi having intake/catless tbe/tmic/custom tune and i'm certain a evo ix with likewise mods would smoke it
Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheelhaus, I totally agree with you when you say the STi has more "personallity". I had a Java Black STi that looked like this:

....now I have an EVO that looks like this:

IMHO, my STi looked totally evil. It had the look and oh my god, the sound. It had the Cobb downpipe and RS*R catback. People would ask me if that was a V-8. The low tone thud that emited from the exhaust was absolutly wicked. To tell you the truth, I don't know why I traded my STi for the EVO. Sure the EVO handles better and takes to mods cheaper but the STi, IMHO, was way more fun to cruise around town with as an everyday car. The 2.5 felt strong as an ox just cruising around at 30-35mph. With the EVO, I can tell I'm driving a 2 liter engine, the car just does not have the low end grunt of the STi. Now slam the throttle down and the EVO is the stronger feeling car with it's bigger turbo and more boost. That is one downfall of the STi - it uses that little turbo and not much boost. I could'nt imagine how an STi would feel with a bigger turbo and more boost. I'm guessing it would feel just as strong as an EVO - I don't know. The other thing I miss about the Subaru is Cobb's amazing AccessPort technology. I had the AccessPort running stage II and it made a world of difference in how my STi felt. It's kind of cool to have something that can plug into the diagnostic port under the dash to control and download maps right into the ECU. I think Al from dynoflash is working on something similar - I'm not to sure but I think I saw it somewhere on the forums a while back. The EVO has the superior interior over the STi. The blue was cool at first but I was looking to change it to the S204 all black interior. I love the EVO's interior which is plain, simple, and to the point. I do miss the Defi style gages though - they were very cool to look at everytime I turned the car on.
All in all the EVO is a wolf in sheeps clothing. The car looks good but it does not look evil. The STi on the other hand has the look and sound that gives it a personallity. Personally, I like the vibe the STi puts out a little better. I'm an old school musclehead and the STi reminds me alot of an old musclecar with it's hood scoop, boxy style, and exhaust note. The EVO is way more civilized both in styling and sound. I love both cars and am very happy with my MR. I look forward to many more mods and 450whp.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I almost traded my STi in on an Evo IX. But I sat down, thought about it, and really couldn't come up with a reason on why I should. To me, after driving multiple Evo's, I just feel more personality in the STi. I have no idea why, but it's like the car has it's own character to it, I didn't feel that in the Evo. I feel alot more power in the STi too, when I drove the Evo, it felt just like my old Integra cruisin around town at 30-45 mph. All in all, I am very happy I kept my STi.

But either way, you will be owning an awesome car. Just pick which one you feel a better connection with.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Went from stage 4 +, brakes, suspension, sti trans'ed wrx to Evo, can't and don't want to look back....loved my Subaru but the handling of the Evo and the out of the box hp are great.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

I never drove an STI but I'd say the Evo does feel very nuetral.... almost no character except your own driving skills, very precise in handling and stealthy about its speed that once you look at your speedometer you're like "Oh ****, better slow down". I guess it's the 2.0....

I say it's hard to impress your passenger if your car is stock because they don't feel the car pulling and it is so stable and linear in power (but it is going fast!) but twstie turns can

LIke someone else said before... it's like an assassin.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

I own both cars now. I couldn't part with the STi but I had to have the IX MR. The Evo is a phenominal car and I actually enjoy driving it more than the STi. The Evo feels and drives like my beloved E30 M3 but with more power and more performance. It's simply amazing. My STi is a Protuned stage 2 and dyno'd at 304 hp at the wheels while my Evo is still stock. Even though the STi is more powerful I still enjoy reving that little 2.0 engine more. The handling and steering of the Evo is razor sharp and crisp while the STi feels dull and heavy.

In terms of women the Evo is like a wild sex starved party girl. Fire her up and she will rock your world all night long and leave you wanting more in the morning.

The STi on the other hand is like the nice sweet girl you take home to mom then bang on the way back home.

Either way you are getting laid but sometimes the wild **** is a lot more fun.

Quick Reply: Any STi to EVO IX converts? opinions?