Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying bigger rims?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying bigger rims?

Hey everyone, I'm a total newbie to this site and I need some . I want to put 18's on my evo and I want to know what I need to do for this. The steps I guess. I'm not talking about install though. I know I should get the wheel balanced or what ever and get them to put those little weights on the rim to make sure everything's equal but here where my question come in. I know if you get a lift on your truck and get bigger tire you need to do this. I hear you have to like adjust the ECU or something for the bigger wheels or it will effect your gas mileage and throw your speedometer off a little. Sense your are getting bigger wheels there's more mass and it adds rotational inertia. Can some one tell me if I need to do this or explain to me what I have to do or how its done. Basically, what do I need to do to put bigger rims on my car and have everything working properly.
Sorry for the long NOOB post
Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

No you don't have to do any of that. Just buy em, buy tires that fit the rims, and put em on bro.

No adjusting needed. And no need to apologize for a question. We're here to help.

The size doesn't matter unless you go WAY over stock for spedometer purposes. Your gas mileage won't really be affected unless you put extremely heavy wheels. You still shouldn't really see a difference though.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:51 AM

ya I'm going with 18's (never would go higher on a compact car). There lighter then the stock wheels I think. So nothing to worry about as long as I'm not going with huge, heavy wheels?
BTW: Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Yep nothing to worry about at all. Just make sure they fit the Evo. Because I'm not sure about all the offsets that fit. Someone else could chime in about that one.

Lighter than stock? Shoot that's even better.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 06:15 AM

Same here, I'm looking to put these bad boys on...
ssIX P521 EVO 18x9 Rims Set : Satin Bronze
Old Aug 1, 2006, 06:16 AM

18"...and I think a bit lighter if my memory serves me well
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:59 AM

P521 by ssIXproject

The P521 wheel for the EVO is a solid 2 piece construction made in Japan. It is available in Galaxy Black, Metallic Silver and Satin Bronze. The wheel is hub-centric to the Evo so no need for hub rings. You can check the wheel specs out at www.ssIXproject.com or give us a call.

Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

the only other thing that comes to mind is getting a set of springs i remember when i first put 18x8.5 5 zigen fno1r-c on my car they looked rediculous until i put springs on. so you may want to look into those
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention that the tires are what can actually throw off the speedo ... if you put 18's on the car, you need to make sure that you get the correct tire size to keep the diameter as close to the stock tire as possible ...

For instance ... on my VW the stock tire size ws 205/55/16. when I got my 18's, I was originally sold a 215/35/18 tire. The diameter of this tire was too small, and along with throwing off the speedo caused me to damage my cheap and soft wheels becuae there was little tire there to absorb shock. The correct tire size for my VW is actually 225/40/18, which is wider and taller.

Try this calculator to find the correct tire size for your Evo and you sound be fine.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Your only concern is to make sure that the overall rolling diameter of the new tires is close to the stock size. Odds are it won't be exact but you can come within a percent or two.