Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Keep Acura CL as Daily Driver, and Buy a Used Evo, or Sell CL and buy a brand new Evo
Keep cl, and buy a used evo around 20k
75.00%
Sell cl, and buy a brand new evo 9
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Buy a used evo, and keep Daily driver, Or Buy a brand new evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a used evo, and keep Daily driver, Or Buy a brand new evo 9

I have done all the reaserch. I know the differences. I just keep debating to myself and cant come up with an answer. I see positives to both sides, which is what makes it hard for me. I know keeping the daily driver is nice, but so is having a brand new car. So this is my dilema, should i keep my acura cl, and buy a 03-04 evo for around 20k. If i do this, if the evo is down for any reason, or i have to drive to bad area i can drive the cl. Or should i sell my acura cl, and buy an 06 evo. I know i dont have to sell the cl, but i have always paid cash for my cars and really dont like car payments. I know i can pay it, but god for bid anything happen, i dont want a 500+ dollar a month car payment. Right now i have a little over 13k cash set aside for down payment on an evo. I figure if i buy a used one i can pay it off quick, but if i am buying a new one that is 30k my payments will go back up, which is what makes me want to sell the cl, so then i can put down about 20k on an 06 evo and only have to finance the 10k. If i get a used or new one mods will be similiar. TBE, intake, tuned, upper, and lower intercooler pipes, 02 housing, mbc. My other perk of selling the cl is less insurance as well.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Getting a daily driver is the best thing i have bought since my evo. DD's are life savers.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd get the 9... but consider taxes, registration, insurance fees of a brand new car.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:36 PM

oh, and also how many people daily drive there evo with the normal mods?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by hueman
i'd get the 9... but consider taxes, registration, insurance fees of a brand new car.
Well taxes registration are included in price. It would be less then 32k out the door. Probably right around 31, but i have figured on 32. insurance is higher then cl, but not buy that much. I got a quote from state farm for 860 every 6 mo's. Its not that i cant afford the car. I actually just started a new job and am making alot more money then before, i could afford the evo before the new job. My credit is great, so interest wont be bad.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

I do.

Originally Posted by Sidewayz.net
oh, and also how many people daily drive there evo with the normal mods?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PA-silver03evo
I do.
+2....... but honestly bro, what will you be doing with the evo? Do you think you will mod the evo? I wouldn't own an evo and not mod the car but that's just me.... If you just need the evo to drive around (to and from work) and would like a launch back in the seat now and then I say go for the 9 all the way.

If you plan on taking the car to the strip and so forth then you might want to keep the CL. I am telling you, you mod, you race, autocross etc.....things will break and wear out, so the daily will be ueseful. I had a fully built boosted GSR before my evo 8 and had a 87 legend as my daily. good luck on whatever path you choose! I plan on getting another daily asap since my legend died.

Last edited by boostingevo8; Jul 16, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:02 PM

I will mod the evo, but i dont plan to get to crazy. I have swapped cars and did all kinds of stuff, but at this point in my life i want to start saving to move out. I have more money set aside for a house, about another 10k, that i try to add to. My parents are awsome, and let me live at home for free, but i dont want to be hear for ever. Im only 22, but i hope to be moved out sooner or later. My buddy has an 05 with exhuast, intake, mbc and i like the car alot. I think it feels pretty damn fast. he has never tracked it, but he hangs with our buddy's civic that ran a 12.7. Mods will be TBE, flash, intake, intercooler pipes. Basic turbo supporting mods. Thanks for the input though.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:12 PM

I have mine as a Daliy Driver and it will continue to be one. It will do just fine as one.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

I daily drive mine, but mine is bone stock as of now... I would love to have a daily driver so I could mod tyhe hell out of my Evo, and not worry about hurrying to get everything back together, or if something breaks.

I would get the used 8, and keep the CL.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:40 PM

The other reason im torn on the cl is i have had it for a while now, and have 10k of stereo stuff in it. Yes its excessive and does 150 db, which i never really turn it up now, but it just sounds amazing. Even stereo people are always impressed with how good my car sounds, with the diamond d9 subs, phoenix gold amps, mb quart q componets, and clarion vrx. I also have sirius sat, ipod, i can play movies off my ipod to my tv, all kinds of crap. its such a nice daily driver, ill prolly keep it. thanks for all the replies guys.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:15 AM

keep the daily driver i say. The mod the Evo as much as u want and if anything ever happens with either car you will still be going to work the next day! The 9's are great but i say get the 8 and keep the dd. Just my opinion
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:54 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A IX RS is my daily driver and I couldn't be happier. It all depends on what one expects from his car.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:58 AM

I bought an 05 evo expecting to get rid of my civic. I learned that keeping the civic around really helps. Sure it's falling apart, but i get 32-37mpg and i use it as my daily driver.

What really helps is for insurance reasons. The civic is my primary vehicle and the evo as my secondary vehicle.

At first i just drove the evo, but after about 3-4 months of just driving the evo, I am starting to keep it in the garage more often to save the milage.

I would buy a 9 and then buy a civic for a few grand.