Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Shift Knobs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shift Knobs

Is there a counter weight shift knob that is wrapped in leather. The only reason i ask is the counter weight knob i have gets very hot in the day time and is almost un-drivable.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:30 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throw a towel or something like that over it during the day....works for me.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daisaw1219
The only reason i ask is the counter weight knob i have gets very hot in the day time and is almost un-drivable.
Are you resting your hand on it? The knob should only be touched when shifting - 1 sec or less.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by FJF
Are you resting your hand on it? The knob should only be touched when shifting - 1 sec or less.
that one sec will burn the **** out of your hand when its been sitting out in the sun all day in 100+ degree days
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Leave a towel, glove, clean sock in your glove compartment so you can just take it out on hot days.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:30 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Made_in_Japan
that one sec will burn the **** out of your hand when its been sitting out in the sun all day in 100+ degree days
I've been driving with aluminum shift knobs for more than 20 years. Hell, I've had one in my GTI for almost 15. Many times the cars were parked in the hot sun and reached very high internal temperatures. Yes, the knobs do get hot, but for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone can "burn" his hand while using a proper shifting technique.

This is a very good book that illustrates in detail many important aspects of high-performance driving, including shifting:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...023352?ie=UTF8
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:37 PM
Account Disabled

maybe his knob isnt aluminum......alluminum disipates heat alot faster than most metals....when i had my gready counterweight i couldnt evn touch it for a split sec in the middle of summer.....especially when the heat index is around 120ish......
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 The greddy knob gets MAD hot. I actually used a sock in the summer time which is kinda ghetto, but Im from the ghetto so its OK

maybe his knob isnt aluminum......alluminum disipates heat alot faster than most metals....when i had my gready counterweight i couldnt evn touch it for a split sec in the middle of summer.....especially when the heat index is around 120ish......
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Aluminum's forte is distributing heat evenly relative to its mass, even though it tends to retain it significantly longer than copper (for example). I cited aluminum as a generic reference. In reality, any commercially available metal shift knob should not be burning one's hand if he shifts his car correctly. You must have seen people walk on coals. A participant's feet don't get burns due to the oils and moisture on the skin, which take a bit longer to expire than the time spent on the hot coals. The same principle applies here, but to a lesser degree; a shift takes a lot less time than a walk on the coals.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 20, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Aluminum's forte is distributing heat evenly relative to its mass, even though it tends to retain it significantly longer than copper (for example). I cited aluminum as a generic reference. In reality, any commercially available metal shift knob should not be burning one's hand if he shifts his car correctly. You must have seen people walk on coals. A participant's feet don't get burns due to the oils and moisture on the skin, which take a bit longer to expire than the time spent on the hot coals. The same principle applies here, but to a lesser degree; a shift takes a lot less time than a walk on the coals.
Ok, try driving with the shift knob that's in my WRX right now after it's been sitting outside all day while I'm working. I only touch the gear knob to shift and it still hurts like hell. Maybe I don't necessarily get burned, but it does hurt and it sucks. I usually have the AC blasting and one vent pointed at the knob to cool it off as quickly as I can.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

How long does it take for you to make sure it's out of gear before you start it up? Then you have to put into reverse, which takes just long enough to burn the holy hell out of you.

I don't know about you guys, but with the 115 degree heat we've been having lately whenever I grab a hold of my Razo 340g my hand burns like that dude from Raider's of the Lost Ark.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:06 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SP00LIN
How long does it take for you to make sure it's out of gear before you start it up?
I have a clutch.

Then you have to put into reverse, which takes just long enough to burn the holy hell out of you.
Less than a second, using the palm of my hand.

Please don't miss my point. Just because one drives a manually transmissioned automobile, doesn't mean that he does it well. This is why I suggested a good book that addresses the subject directly.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SP00LIN
How long does it take for you to make sure it's out of gear before you start it up? Then you have to put into reverse, which takes just long enough to burn the holy hell out of you.

I don't know about you guys, but with the 115 degree heat we've been having lately whenever I grab a hold of my Razo 340g my hand burns like that dude from Raider's of the Lost Ark.
+1....its been so hot here right when i get in my car i dont even want to grab the steering wheel (the stock momo one.....)
Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

+1....its been so hot here right when i get in my car i dont even want to grab the steering wheel (the stock momo one.....)
I know what you mean.

We'll watch FJF change his tune as soon as he comes on out to the Valley of the Sun in summer time.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah that Greddy knob really gets hot. I just unscrew mine after getting to work and screw it back on after the work day.

Quick Reply: Shift Knobs