Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

2006 EVO possible shop car info

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatbastard
i believe what mark was getting at is this... you can't have a one size fits all suspension... look at what your goals are (realistically) and then choose what is in your budget in regards to demands... that said, i don't think a $9,000 group N suspension is going to meet your tarmac, gravel, ice, commuting needs the same... street cars are the great exception, while it's cool and great at the track to have the fancy crap, it's not always in your best interest... for most people, DMS 40s, 50s or ohlins are more than what they will ever use... it's just a matter of looking at your options and what your real needs are within a giving budget,

all that said, posts that state, "hey i'm getting this job and the shop is all mine afterhours to do what ever i please..." is hardly the way to handle yourself in a proffesional manner, regardless of your age (even though comments like that show your immaturity and lack of professionalism)...

i wish you luck with your project... evos are great cars...

-franz
I wish I could afford a tune broseff...
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fatbastard
all that said, posts that state, "hey i'm getting this job and the shop is all mine afterhours to do what ever i please..." is hardly the way to handle yourself in a proffesional manner, regardless of your age (even though comments like that show your immaturity and lack of professionalism)...

i wish you luck with your project... evos are great cars...

-franz
This whole thread now gets a zorro snap.

Last edited by Bimmubishi; Aug 20, 2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
This whole thread now gets a zorro snap.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:23 AM

obviously suspension is still important on snow and ice but not nearly as important as a road course or autocross... plus how many times do you race on snow and ice... i dont think anyone that drives a car regularly would setup a suspension just for ice
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pengulns2001
obviously suspension is still important on snow and ice but not nearly as important as a road course or autocross... plus how many times do you race on snow and ice... i dont think anyone that drives a car regularly would setup a suspension just for ice
but there are a lot of people who do have winter setups... if you end up working at KTR, you will learn this (and many customers who ice race, which is popular in the NE)...

how suspension is setup is dictated by what the user deems important... you will never find a 'one size fits all' choice in higher end pieces... in fact, the 'higher end' the suspension is, the more setup it is for each condition... we use different spring rates, shock settings, gears, aero, etc... for every track we go to (each track has it's own setup, which then changes with weather conditions, surface conditions and driver)...

if you are looking for a do all suspension, maybe the DMS 40mm or Ohlins R/T will be better suited for what you are looking for (without breaking the bank)... i've been using the Ohlins R/T on my car for some time and can say i'm quite happy with them (actually have a set of DMS 40s and 50s on the way for track testing)...

but if you're not sure exactly what you are looking for, maybe you should meet up with some people at the track and talk with them (and maybe even drive their cars)...

-franz
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:01 AM

obviously ice racing is a special situation and people that ice race their cars dont drive their cars regularly. If they do its hopefully not with the suspension setup like that.

spring rates are fairly cheap and easy to change so the only real question is how adjustable the damping and ride hight is. i know ride hight wont be a concern and its pretty much impossible to get shock dyno graphs unless you own a shock dyno.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Most manufactures will send you info like dyno charts, but the thing is a dyno graph is kind of useless unless you know what conditions the shock was tested under as well. They will give you an idea, but nothing very specific unless you have a set of base line parameters from experience or other test to compare.

IE if you compare a DMS 50mm tarmac shock to a DMS 40mm street shock, you see they are hugely different on paper, but it requires a whole lot of experience to relate what the data you see means in actual daily driving conditions. The data is only as good as the interpreter.....

For the record, I am not saying or trying to insult anyone by saying that I have or you don't (experience). I have just very recently found out a ton of new and useful information on various aspects (not nesecarrily shock related) over the past few weeks by talking with some old freinds, and working with some new faces, etc.

-mark
Old Aug 24, 2006, 05:02 AM

I have used a shock dyno in the past and your right if you dont know how the shocks were tested the graph is basically useless but it could still give me an idea of the adjustability range of the shock... assuming they could give me a graph at max and min adjustment points. Unfourtunatly the only experience i have using a shock dyno is with formula cars and while i can relate the graphs to how the car will drive from experience i really would not be able to do so with a street car as i have no experience with them
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:47 PM

guess ill be buying DMS i just found out were a dealer and id be an idiot to buy anything else with our reduced price
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of racing will you be doing? Do you think the car will be ready by next season? Maybe we'll see you out there.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I think you will be seeing Franz next week PENGUINS, talk to him about it, he has some DMS 40mm on his car right now.
-mark