Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Traded in my 05 Subaru STi for an 06 Evo MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats man!!!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Max-Q
As the "Stig" from Top Gear said "the Subaru (STi) is a good boy's car..... but the Evo is a man's car"

That about sums it up. The STi is probably the better daily driver, especially for a woman, but the Evo is a car that can get wild and be driven at the absolute limits.

As for performance the STi does't have as good of steering, it has more body roll and in stock form the turbo really dies out at 6,400 rpm. The gearing is way too short, especially first gear which is almost useless. The seats are no where near as good as the Evo seats and the suspension is rougher and choppier than my MR. The interior of the STi is smaller than the Evo IX and has much less back seat leg room than the Evo.

On the good side the STi's tranny and driveline are virtually bulletproof. The short-throw shifter and tight gear box are very pleasant to drive. It also has a lot of low end torque which makes it fun to drive around town but it also makes it feel faster than it really is. The STi has a nice automatic climate control system and better dash board guages. It also has cruise control which is nice to have on long trips. Plus the mirror controls are in a normal location on the door so you don't have to lean way forward to adjust the mirrors only to find that you went to far.

That's why the STi is my wife's daily driver and the Evo is mine. She likes a "sporty" car that still has all the creature comforts where I could care less about anything other than performance.
I never noticed more body roll in one over the other when I drove them both (Evo VIII MR). The steering in the Evo seemed more "darty" than that of the STi, but I didn't find the handling to be much better. Everyone says that in the STi it's hard to get the tail out like on the Evo, but I guess those people aren't familiar with the DCCD.

1st gear in the STi really does suck, which hampers its 0-60 time. As soon as I mash the gas I'm shifting. I do like the stiff feeling of the STi's manual, and it's a pretty positive gearbox.

Cruise control is nice, but the only time I've ever used it is just to see if it worked.

The seats in the Evo are great. The seats in an STi are like trampolines, but they sure look nice!

I like the gauges in the STi better. I think the STi has the better interior design, but I don't see where the quality is that much better. Everyone seems to say the same thing; "The STi's interior is way better!" I disagree, but that's me. I just find it more pleasant to look at.

I like the view over the STi's hood scoop better than the "nothing view" out of the Evo. It's a "Muscle Car" thing.

Looks are subjective to me, but from the front the Evo looks very aggressive compared to that of an STi. It's wider, and it looks lower. Next to an Evo the STi looks "soft," despite looking quite radical when sitting next to a lot of other cars. However, I love the STi's softer lines as much as the Evo's harder lines. They both have their merits.

As for one car being a "men's car" and the other being a "boy's car," who makes up this sh*t? They're so close in performance that it doesn't make a bit of difference which you go with.

.....And then there's the funny fact that every time Top Gear or one of these other asshat TV shows or magazines tests an Evo Vs. an STi, they always show up with some "factory upgraded" Evo like an MR or FQ300, yet show up with a base model STi. Just an observation, of course. I'd like to see an unbiased contest between a standard Evo and a standard STi. If you're going to bring an FQ300 to the table, bring an equivalent like an S203 or S204. I'm sure a standard Evo can hold its own with a standard STi. Why the advantage?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:15 PM

06 STI owner - saw this and had to chime in

First of all, congrats on your new ride! The IXs look amazing and I'm sure are a dream to drive!

*Gets into STI vs Evo fight mode* First.. I dont think the Stig speaks; and any STI owner can tell you clarksons thoughts on the STI; "This Subaru is a hugely manly experience. The noise it makes, the macho gearbox, macho steering, it even smells of man--the essence of burnt clutch--splash it on all over before going out at night for a curry...and a fight." While the Evo VII was "like a hitman.. without the compassion". Plus thats just kinda silly to justify why someone would get it; cmon both cars are just rice cars, real men drive Mustangs .

I had a chance to sit in a IX MR that was already sold at the dealer but no test drive; the seats were amazing, I think I liked them more than the Lotus Exige seats I sat in, the steering wheel also has a great feel. But neither car has "creature comforts", or if anything, its the Evo with leather and a moonroof; the STI is arguably a better all around car; with side airbags (and having 3 subarus in the household I have to mention the imprezas best in class crash test rating and subarus amazing B-pillars ), stock HIDs, awesome gauges (the Evos look like someone went to AutoZone and pimped out a stock lancer) and just a higher quality feeling interior. Dont get me wrong, I love evos, I love the look of the IX (especially in red!) but the Evo is not the "better" car; its all about opinions.

Also, someone mentioned the car feels faster than it really is; this is true with the ultra short gearing and the low end torque... but is that a negative? Driving is about having fun right? "Dude your car feels FAST! Must be fun as hell to drive! Wait a second... it took you 5 seconds to get to 60 instead of 4.7 because of that 2-3 shift? Damn I was wrong this car blows!" I just think its funny when people get super caught up in the whole argument... both cars are based around the same idea (*** kicking) but go about it with different minor details.

I am greatly looking forward to the Evo X, and Subarus response which I fear is going to be hideous looking
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SubaruFlamingo
06 STI owner - saw this and had to chime in

First of all, congrats on your new ride! The IXs look amazing and I'm sure are a dream to drive!

*Gets into STI vs Evo fight mode* First.. I dont think the Stig speaks; and any STI owner can tell you clarksons thoughts on the STI; "This Subaru is a hugely manly experience. The noise it makes, the macho gearbox, macho steering, it even smells of man--the essence of burnt clutch--splash it on all over before going out at night for a curry...and a fight." While the Evo VII was "like a hitman.. without the compassion". Plus thats just kinda silly to justify why someone would get it; cmon both cars are just rice cars, real men drive Mustangs .

I had a chance to sit in a IX MR that was already sold at the dealer but no test drive; the seats were amazing, I think I liked them more than the Lotus Exige seats I sat in, the steering wheel also has a great feel. But neither car has "creature comforts", or if anything, its the Evo with leather and a moonroof; the STI is arguably a better all around car; with side airbags (and having 3 subarus in the household I have to mention the imprezas best in class crash test rating and subarus amazing B-pillars ), stock HIDs, awesome gauges (the Evos look like someone went to AutoZone and pimped out a stock lancer) and just a higher quality feeling interior. Dont get me wrong, I love evos, I love the look of the IX (especially in red!) but the Evo is not the "better" car; its all about opinions.

Also, someone mentioned the car feels faster than it really is; this is true with the ultra short gearing and the low end torque... but is that a negative? Driving is about having fun right? "Dude your car feels FAST! Must be fun as hell to drive! Wait a second... it took you 5 seconds to get to 60 instead of 4.7 because of that 2-3 shift? Damn I was wrong this car blows!" I just think its funny when people get super caught up in the whole argument... both cars are based around the same idea (*** kicking) but go about it with different minor details.

I am greatly looking forward to the Evo X, and Subarus response which I fear is going to be hideous looking
I'm sure Subaru will answer with just as strong of a response, but IMO both, the Evo X and the "new STI" are equally as hideous.

As for Evos looking like they were upgraded at Auto Zone, that's a pretty strong statement there.

Sure, I agree that both cars are equally as great as the other, but you're forgetting that this is an Evo site, and to these people the Evo is the better car. Obviously nobody has to tell you that things are just the opposite on a Subaru forum. I purchased my STi because it's the better car for me. These people purchased the Evo because it's the better car for them.

For the record, the next time around I don't plan on purchasing either one of them. I plan on purchasing a Camaro (provided they keep the weight at around 3400 lbs and keep the IRS). If that doesn't pan out, once again, I will unbiasedly be looking at both, the STI and the Evo once again.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

My girl wanted the Rally Red MR. I wanted the Grey.....so we ended up with the grey. She wants to buy a red one still though so who knows. Good choice in color though. I HATE red cars, but I can't help but like the way it looks on the MR!!

A lot of STi hate it seems. I love my Evo, but I don't think the Evo is THAT superior to the STi as some people make it sound. They are so close in performance it comes down to opinion in which one is better. That makes it so much harder to compare them.

One of the main reasons I chose the Evo over the STi is because their was a vagueness to the steering in the STi. The Evo makes you feel like you're in control at all time and that you are a part of the car.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
My girl wanted the Rally Red MR. I wanted the Grey.....so we ended up with the grey. She wants to buy a red one still though so who knows. Good choice in color though. I HATE red cars, but I can't help but like the way it looks on the MR!!

A lot of STi hate it seems. I love my Evo, but I don't think the Evo is THAT superior to the STi as some people make it sound. They are so close in performance it comes down to opinion in which one is better. That makes it so much harder to compare them.

One of the main reasons I chose the Evo over the STi is because their was a vagueness to the steering in the STi. The Evo makes you feel like you're in control at all time and that you are a part of the car.
There is a slight vagueness, but I think you find that with any car. I think it's just present at a lower threshold than what it is in the Evo. I personally found the control of both cars to be excellent. I drive my STi and I'm pretty confident in its abilities. I wouldn't try half the things I do with my STi in a lot of other cars.

In fact, I really don't find the Evo to be superior to the STi or vice-versa. I think they achieve the same things, albeit in different ways. I've said this before and I'll say it again; The Evo is like a scalpel, while the STi is like a steak knife. They will both slice, but the Evo just looks prettier doing it. I just think the STi needs a little bit more "coaxing," or "man-handling," so to speak. While the Evo is about precision, you need to grab the STi by the ***** and twist.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:39 PM

The AutoZone comment only applies to the dashboard!, I mean its a lancer dashboard with crappy looking and hard to read gauges (gauges = pretty important in these machines) with red lighting and a little carbon fiber, no?

I also kinda want a GT500 (or more realistically considering mileage a hopped up Mustang GT) so I may try out RWD for my next car (especially if the next gen rally cars only come in DSG... yuck).

Yeah in my long post I was trying to say, "to each his own" they are both amazing. Of course this is an Evo board so the Evo is the understood choice; luckily on here for the most part, and definetely on IWSTI.com people are true enthusiasts. Now if we could only get people to not laugh down on people cross shopping a Mustang GT...

Last edited by SubaruFlamingo; Aug 17, 2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

The AutoZone comment only applies to the dashboard!, I mean its a lancer dashboard with crappy looking and hard to read gauges (gauges = pretty important in these machines) with red lighting and a little carbon fiber, no?

I also kinda want a GT500 (or more realistically considering mileage a hopped up Mustang GT) so I may try out RWD for my next car (especially if the next gen rally cars only come in DSG... yuck).

Yeah in my long post I was trying to say, "to each his own" they are both amazing. Of course this is an Evo board so the Evo is the understood choice; luckily on here for the most part, and definetely on IWSTI.com people are true enthusiasts. Now if we could only get people to not laugh down on people cross shopping a Mustang GT...
No, Evo interiors aren't the best, and nowhere near becoming of a $30000 car, but neither is that of the STi.

If you want to talk about cheap interiors, talk about the Mustang. I liked the Mustang until I sat in one. The doorpanels are cheap and flimsy, especially around the speakers in the doors. They felt like they were going to crack from my leg pressing against it. The dashboard was horribly cheap, hard plastic....terrible. It just wreaked of cheapness. Hell, a 2002 F-Body had better interior quality than the Mustang I sat in.

The exterior of the Mustang is great, and so is the layout of the interior.....it's just that the interior materials are Kia-quality.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:58 PM

Its a performance car.. not an IS250!

Still I shared your dissapointment in the mustang, even the Shelby GT500 felt dressed up. While the materials used do feel cheap, the STI is very well put together; I have only had a few tiny problems with interior materials.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Its a performance car.. not an IS250!

Still I shared your dissapointment in the mustang, even the Shelby GT500 felt dressed up. While the materials used do feel cheap, the STI is very well put together; I have only had a few tiny problems with interior materials.
No interior material problems with my STi to report. The materials aren't the best but there aren't sharp edges and they're well put together. I also don't see a lot of ungainly gaps between panels.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:11 PM

Sorry to the thread's creator for the hijack, this is kinda turning into a mini STI forum

Thinking about it though, very few "performance" cars have nice interiors in the under 40k segment. The RSX's is pretty nice for being 24,000 and still being "sporty", but I think cars like that are anamolies; take the mustang, evo, sti, cobalt ss (mid 20s when loaded), gt500.

Well, that is why the M3 was made right? RWD Luxo sti/evo
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Great to hear your happy with your new Evo!!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Is this NASIOC or evolutionm.net
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to the thread's creator for the hijack, this is kinda turning into a mini STI forum

Thinking about it though, very few "performance" cars have nice interiors in the under 40k segment. The RSX's is pretty nice for being 24,000 and still being "sporty", but I think cars like that are anamolies; take the mustang, evo, sti, cobalt ss (mid 20s when loaded), gt500.

Well, that is why the M3 was made right? RWD Luxo sti/evo
M3's are nice...although i did destroy one in the STi at the drag strip....E46...i'm guessing the kid couldn't drive.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
Is this NASIOC or evolutionm.net
obviously not nasioc cause i'm posting...

(my username got terminated on NASIOC a month or two ago :-P)

Quick Reply: Traded in my 05 Subaru STi for an 06 Evo MR