Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Traded in my 05 Subaru STi for an 06 Evo MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A buddie of mine has a 04 STI and I love the car. its a blast to drive, and looks sweet as hell. I have yet to drive my 03 EVO, but hopefully it is even more fun to drive, becasue as much as i like the looks of the EVO, I think the STI looks better. Although my buddies STi is white (my first choice in colors) and my EVO is yellow ( not my top choice)
Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
There is a slight vagueness, but I think you find that with any car. I think it's just present at a lower threshold than what it is in the Evo. I personally found the control of both cars to be excellent. I drive my STi and I'm pretty confident in its abilities. I wouldn't try half the things I do with my STi in a lot of other cars.

In fact, I really don't find the Evo to be superior to the STi or vice-versa. I think they achieve the same things, albeit in different ways. I've said this before and I'll say it again; The Evo is like a scalpel, while the STi is like a steak knife. They will both slice, but the Evo just looks prettier doing it. I just think the STi needs a little bit more "coaxing," or "man-handling," so to speak. While the Evo is about precision, you need to grab the STi by the ***** and twist.
I completely agree with what you say!! If I couldn't get the Evo, the STi was my next choice. Their is nothing wrong with the STi, I just felt like the Evo was more "me" and felt better to drive. I didn't take either car to the limits before buying, so comparing them based on what they are capable of is kind of hard when you're not wringing them out!! It just seemed easier to put the Evo into a corner and feel like you're in complete control and the car isn't going to let things get out of hand.

I will say though, when I get a little more extra money, I would love to buy an older WRX or maybe an Impreza RS 2-door and do a JDM swap. Turn it into an "offroad" car if you know what I mean!!! My brother had an 04 WRX that had 400 miles on it when he bought it. So I would imagine it was put through hell through 400 miles of test drives. That car never gave hime a single problem EVER!! Unfortunately he sold it....for an Evo !!

This got a little off topic, but just wanting to point out that the guy who got the MR already had a bad *** car before. He just happen to switch over to another bad *** car that probably fit his personality better!! And the red MR really does look slick!!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

enjoy the rarest of the rare. u got rid of a "boys" car & bought a "Man's" car. bloody well done chap!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

I'll just have to mention this. Some of the comments I've read on this thread absolutely amaze me, and not in a good way.

One jackass tv/magazine editor makes a comment that he likes an Evo better than an STi so he says, "Oh, this one's a man's car, while that one's a {i]boy's car,[/i] and people just run with it.

I guess that means that since Motor Trend picked the 2006 STI over the 2006 Evo that it must be. Long live the STI, the better car! Whatever......

You all know that if the Evo wasn't around you'd all have an STi sitting in your driveway. It's the same thing with Subaru owners. They can beat their chests about the STi but everyone knows if the STi wasn't around they'd be in Evos. Let's be honest, the ones in standard WRXs are in standard WRXs because they couldn't afford Subaru's top dog.

But, FWIW, the "boys" play better in the dirt. That's clear from all the gold in their trophy case. Not to mention, didn't Mitsubishi drop out of WRC for the 2006/2007 season?

The few of you sound like a bunch of mental midget NASIOC members......

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; Aug 18, 2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SubaruFlamingo
Sorry to the thread's creator for the hijack, this is kinda turning into a mini STI forum

Thinking about it though, very few "performance" cars have nice interiors in the under 40k segment. The RSX's is pretty nice for being 24,000 and still being "sporty", but I think cars like that are anamolies; take the mustang, evo, sti, cobalt ss (mid 20s when loaded), gt500.

Well, that is why the M3 was made right? RWD Luxo sti/evo

please don't use the words performance, evo and Cobalt SS in the same sentance. Cobalt SS = hamburger with a side of rice.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigEd925
please don't use the words performance, evo and Cobalt SS in the same sentance. Cobalt SS = hamburger with a side of rice.
I had some jackass Cobalt owner tell me a few weeks ago, "Dude, you wasted your money. You shoulda bought a real car like a Cobalt SS Supercharged! You do know that they will run side by side with stock Evos and STis, right?"
Old Aug 18, 2006, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

...both cars are based around the same idea (*** kicking) but go about it with different minor details.
You hit it, and I appreciate you seeing that way ;-). I like my evo but appreciate an STI just as much. Car fan I guess...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good Trade. Both cars are great, I prefer the MR.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have both the sti and an mr..i have to agree with max about the sti and the turbo making power up to about 6500..most of you guys only get a short test drive and dont get to drive the cars day in and day out, when you take them out on the same roads they perform almost the same..the evo feels more responsive and ride quality is better, doesnt bounce around as much on the road..when driving the sti the gear box is funky, when shifting i hit my elbow on the center consol and it gets annoying and the stick itself seems to be too tall..if i had to choose between the two id go with the mr any day.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aryder
i have both the sti and an mr..i have to agree with max about the sti and the turbo making power up to about 6500..most of you guys only get a short test drive and dont get to drive the cars day in and day out, when you take them out on the same roads they perform almost the same..the evo feels more responsive and ride quality is better, doesnt bounce around as much on the road..when driving the sti the gear box is funky, when shifting i hit my elbow on the center consol and it gets annoying and the stick itself seems to be too tall..if i had to choose between the two id go with the mr any day.
Thank you! I'm sure you will agree with me on this too... I like my STi alot. I think it's a great car and it performs excellent BUT after owning both in my opinion the Evo is a better performance car. Personally I think the STi is a tougher and more durable car but the Evo performs better.

When I first took my IX for a test drive I liked the way the car drove but I thought the STi was faster and a better performer. That was due to the fact that I had owned the STi for 14 months at that point and I was familiar with it. After several months with the Evo I learned to exploit its true performance and I found that it was superior to the STi. There is no way you can form an intelligent opinion of a car by a 15 minute test drive. It takes many miles before you really get to know a car.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:40 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Wise choice in the trade. Have fun in the Evo man.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I am an Evo Fanboi, anyone wana fight about that? Thought so.................
Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ibtl
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

the next time i have to take out the trash, i am taking some of you with it....
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, that's me. The know-it-all.

I'm the one that's threatening violence on people because they disagreed with me, too.

I believe Blonde removed his empty threats.

Quick Reply: Traded in my 05 Subaru STi for an 06 Evo MR