Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Traded in my 05 Subaru STi for an 06 Evo MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traded in my 05 Subaru STi for an 06 Evo MR

and loving it! Just got a red MR 2 days ago...been waiting well over a week for it to be deleivered. I'm glad my second attempt at buying a Red Evo MR ended well. First attempt was before i bought the STi last year when the Evo VIII MR's came out and the dealership couldn't locate a red one.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

good choice!! welcome to the REAL 4door saloon....hahahha!!!!! congrats!!
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats... you should change your profile from an evo IV to an evo IX tho... just looking out
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

nice upgrade!! welcome to the family.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evrblazin
Congrats... you should change your profile from an evo IV to an evo IX tho... just looking out
'

haha thanks...i totally missed that typo
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Good choice! I've actually got both an STi and a IX MR. I basically only drive the MR and my wife drives the STi. When the X comes out we are going to sell the STi and get a X.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Lol... reminds me of my sister and her husband. He drives an 05 RS, and a IXMR. she used to have an 05 STI. She got in, and drove the MR, and the first thing she says when she gets back "wow.... so thats what a fast 4 door feels like"

I think both are kick *** choices... none the less..

welcome to the evo club buddy!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the IX.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats. What did you like about the MR vs the Sti?

My friend is about to upgrade the turbo on his 05 sti and probably blow his motor. I can't wait. lol
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

As the "Stig" from Top Gear said "the Subaru (STi) is a good boy's car..... but the Evo is a man's car"

That about sums it up. The STi is probably the better daily driver, especially for a woman, but the Evo is a car that can get wild and be driven at the absolute limits.

As for performance the STi does't have as good of steering, it has more body roll and in stock form the turbo really dies out at 6,400 rpm. The gearing is way too short, especially first gear which is almost useless. The seats are no where near as good as the Evo seats and the suspension is rougher and choppier than my MR. The interior of the STi is smaller than the Evo IX and has much less back seat leg room than the Evo.

On the good side the STi's tranny and driveline are virtually bulletproof. The short-throw shifter and tight gear box are very pleasant to drive. It also has a lot of low end torque which makes it fun to drive around town but it also makes it feel faster than it really is. The STi has a nice automatic climate control system and better dash board guages. It also has cruise control which is nice to have on long trips. Plus the mirror controls are in a normal location on the door so you don't have to lean way forward to adjust the mirrors only to find that you went to far.

That's why the STi is my wife's daily driver and the Evo is mine. She likes a "sporty" car that still has all the creature comforts where I could care less about anything other than performance.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Max-Q
As the "Stig" from Top Gear said "the Subaru (STi) is a good boy's car..... but the Evo is a man's car"

That about sums it up. The STi is probably the better daily driver, especially for a woman, but the Evo is a car that can get wild and be driven at the absolute limits.

As for performance the STi does't have as good of steering, it has more body roll and in stock form the turbo really dies out at 6,400 rpm. The gearing is way too short, especially first gear which is almost useless. The seats are no where near as good as the Evo seats and the suspension is rougher and choppier than my MR. The interior of the STi is smaller than the Evo IX and has much less back seat leg room than the Evo.

On the good side the STi's tranny and driveline are virtually bulletproof. The short-throw shifter and tight gear box are very pleasant to drive. It also has a lot of low end torque which makes it fun to drive around town but it also makes it feel faster than it really is. The STi has a nice automatic climate control system and better dash board guages. It also has cruise control which is nice to have on long trips. Plus the mirror controls are in a normal location on the door so you don't have to lean way forward to adjust the mirrors only to find that you went to far.

That's why the STi is my wife's daily driver and the Evo is mine. She likes a "sporty" car that still has all the creature comforts where I could care less about anything other than performance.
haha funny, cause my girl said the same thing about the STi and MR...she said the STi looks like a kids car and the Evo looks like a grown man/professionals car. Not why i traded it in though haha.

The STi's interior wasnt really 'nicer' it was just different. IF the MR came stock with a double din and nicer looking A/C knobs then i'd say the MR has a much nicer interior when you take into account the seats, leg room, all same tone/color interior etc.

I also like the way the MR feels and drives over the STi....it just seems more powerful when you step on it (not that i have yet) steering is amazing, suspension almost feels like my TEIN type Flex setup on my old DC5.

Cliff notes: I like the MR a lot better than the STi.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice

Last edited by tweakdsm; Aug 17, 2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

get ready to be pulled over w/that rally red

hah nice trade though
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good decision =P

Congrats on a new car
Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

welcome aboard. seems like i read a story like this every week or so. everytime it brings a smile to my face.

Quick Reply: Traded in my 05 Subaru STi for an 06 Evo MR