Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Anybody here buy an Evo not knowing what it was?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok i do have to say this...
when i bought my car i did know what it was but i didnt buy it for the speed or the acceleration, i bought it for the braking, handling and safety. I use to have a 2 door honda civic (my baby) then i found out my wife was pregant, i had to get a 4 door car or a SUV. i seen the car, was joking around with some friends and said "i should get that" so we looked it up and then i seen how safe it was, braking is amazing and the handling is great if you ever needed to swerve quickly...

i went to get one, took it for a test drive and never got it about 35 on the test drive, i fell in love with the steering responce and the braking.

now OFCOURSE once i got it and felt the raw power it had it brought back memories and that is when i started to put money into it to make it faster. BUT to ease my mind and my wifes, there was no way i was going to let my new born son ride in the car that i had a Buschur Racing stage 5 kit on, so i bought another one (another black one) same year, brand new... just so i could have a normal one for me and my son and then a fun one for me.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gatorade
I bought an injen intake ..im going to throw in a skyline JDM bOV and I think some flaming decls would like be cool dude..im 14 years old...I want evo .. oMg PaUl waLkEr SiGnEd my f&f and 2f2f pOstrR!1!11OWnedd!!11 Im better thaN yOu allzzz biaTcheSSSSSS CoMe GeT sUMMMMMM

-typical-
well put gatorade
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i got my evo because i could get anything i wanted for under 40k and ive liked evo's since the first time i rode in one back in 04
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I knew what I had bought when I got my STi. I bought the car I was waiting for Japan to send to the States for 10 damned years (1st year for STi was 1994).

My wife had no clue that the STi is about 10% more "refined" than the actual rally car itself. She had no clue it was a "race car for the street."
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
This has become a ‘how did I happen to buy an Evo’ thread so I thought I offer my story since is a little unusual.

My wife Sharon liked fast cars. She drove a ’79 sky blue Trans Am, which she kept in mint condition. If I brought home some vehicle that didn’t have the lines she liked or a big enough engine, she’d have a fit. One night I was on the Mitsu site seeing what the new to our shores Evo was all about and Sharon wanted to know about the car. So, I told her about what I had read in the car mags and showed her what was on Mitsu’s web site. She said, “Can’t we have three cars?” She wanted an Evo. Well, I said no.

Sharon had a heart condition that doctors couldn’t fix and a week later she died. It was December 22, 2003, and I realized I needed to have the funeral the next day because people would be leaving for the holidays on the 24th. So there was the rush to make the arrangements. The house was full of people.

On Christmas Eve I took my brother to the train depot in Hastings, 30 miles away. He was the last of my houseguests to leave to be with their families for Christmas. In the middle of all of this the radiator in my car blew so we took Sharon’s TA. The train left at 1:30 am in the morning on Christmas day and as I left Hastings and headed home I put on the high beams and they were still on when I pulled into my garage. I hadn’t seen another car on the road. Talk about feeling alone.

So, as I wandered an empty house I found myself looking at the Mitsu site again. There was a button to find the nearest dealer, which turned out to be in Lincoln, 100 miles away. So, I called them and asked if they had an Evo. They had two, yellow and red. They also promised that if I would come to the dealership they would let me drive one.

We had had a blizzard over the holidays and the streets in Lincoln were like open sewers.
Sorry if you have a yellow car but I couldn’t stand even getting close to the yellow one I disliked the color so much. So, I checked out red one.

The salesman kept insisting we go for a test drive and I kept saying no because I knew what condition this showroom car would be in when we got back. He just kept asking so, finally – and you all know what the Evo driving experience is like.

I went home and thought about it for a week and then I went back to Lincoln. The salesman said, “Two other people tried to buy this car while you were gone. I told them both the car was sold.” I got a great price, they had all the paperwork ready to go in my name (weird) and I was out of there in 10 minutes. It was the best car buying experience I’ve ever had.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
This has become a ‘how did I happen to buy an Evo’ thread so I thought I offer my story since is a little unusual.

My wife Sharon liked fast cars. She drove a ’79 sky blue Trans Am, which she kept in mint condition. If I brought home some vehicle that didn’t have the lines she liked or a big enough engine, she’d have a fit. One night I was on the Mitsu site seeing what the new to our shores Evo was all about and Sharon wanted to know about the car. So, I told her about what I had read in the car mags and showed her what was on Mitsu’s web site. She said, “Can’t we have three cars?” She wanted an Evo. Well, I said no.

Sharon had a heart condition that doctors couldn’t fix and a week later she died. It was December 22, 2003, and I realized I needed to have the funeral the next day because people would be leaving for the holidays on the 24th. So there was the rush to make the arrangements. The house was full of people.

On Christmas Eve I took my brother to the train depot in Hastings, 30 miles away. He was the last of my houseguests to leave to be with their families for Christmas. In the middle of all of this the radiator in my car blew so we took Sharon’s TA. The train left at 1:30 am in the morning on Christmas day and as I left Hastings and headed home I put on the high beams and they were still on when I pulled into my garage. I hadn’t seen another car on the road. Talk about feeling alone.

So, as I wandered an empty house I found myself looking at the Mitsu site again. There was a button to find the nearest dealer, which turned out to be in Lincoln, 100 miles away. So, I called them and asked if they had an Evo. They had two, yellow and red. They also promised that if I would come to the dealership they would let me drive one.

We had had a blizzard over the holidays and the streets in Lincoln were like open sewers.
Sorry if you have a yellow car but I couldn’t stand even getting close to the yellow one I disliked the color so much. So, I checked out red one.

The salesman kept insisting we go for a test drive and I kept saying no because I knew what condition this showroom car would be in when we got back. He just kept asking so, finally – and you all know what the Evo driving experience is like.

I went home and thought about it for a week and then I went back to Lincoln. The salesman said, “Two other people tried to buy this car while you were gone. I told them both the car was sold.” I got a great price, they had all the paperwork ready to go in my name (weird) and I was out of there in 10 minutes. It was the best car buying experience I’ve ever had.
I'm very sorry to hear about your wife. I guess I just really can't comment about your experience with buying the car.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, thanks Sinister Subaru, but the time for condolences has passed. I was single for a year, just enough time to realize that being single has its advantages too and then I got married again. My new wife had never driven a clutch car. Poor Evo!
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Well, thanks Sinister Subaru, but the time for condolences has passed. I was single for a year, just enough time to realize that being single has its advantages too and then I got married again. My new wife had never driven a clutch car. Poor Evo!
Good to hear, man. I've been with my wife for a total of just over 10 years. I forget what the single life is like.

She's not familiar with driving manual either, but I guess sometime I should teach her how to drive the STi......I dread it.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

whats a subaru evolution wrx?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racerxl99
An STI MR?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 04:33 AM

That's crazy to do that , but u cant do that when u are billionare!!!!!
Old Aug 28, 2006, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Coby Gan
That's crazy to do that , but u cant do that when u are billionare!!!!!
If I were a billionaire I wouldn't own either, an STi/STI or an Evolution.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by racerxl99
Lol
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

after watching a Mazda commercial I went to the local dealership and told the salesman I want to zoom, zoom zoom! But I didn't realize it was a Mitsubishi dealership, they offered me an Evo instead, and I took it. It worked out ok, though.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly

I went into a dealership after searching on the internet for a faster car than a RSX-S that I could trade into.... ha ha ....anyways..I went into the only mitsubishi dealship in town Autoplex Mitsu...at the time of May of 2004 after college...this had nothing to do with thos FandF movies...I just saw the EVO and fell in love with it after I test drove it. I didn't even know it exsisted....so yes I'm an idiot.. But I did my research before buying...glad I bought it...at the time it was the last one left...I've been happy with the purchase ever since.

Last edited by bluepeartype-s; Aug 28, 2006 at 07:50 AM.