Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Got a ticket.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you really think he will win? and i doubt a a 16 year olds parents will even bother. they couldnt have given him the car without knowing he was gonna rack up a few tickets. hes a minor with a 276 HP car. at the most, the passenger charge will get dropped. the front plate i garuntee will stay. cali cops i hear are **** as hell about the front plates. theres no way he could plead he wasnt aware that it was the law.

and to the guy who said floor it and pass the other cars your driving with. dont even listen to him. thats the dumbest thing you could do. if he catches your plate you are even mroe screwed than you would be for speeding. evading police. not good.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mikejam1688
and technically getting pulled over for even doing 41 in a 40 zone is called speeding. so i think the 45 in a 40 is reasonable. see...theres always a reason.
Actually, in California, any posted speed limit below 55 mph is technically an "advisory" speed limit. You can admit driving faster than the posted speed limit and still be found not guilty; the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your speed was unsafe.

It would be damn near impossible for the prosecution to get a conviction for 41 in a 40 unless there are extenuating circumstances (weather, construction zone, etc.), even assuming that you admit to the 1 mph over. They'd have to show that 41 is unsafe while at the same time justifying why the posted 40 is safe.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

cali cops i hear are **** as hell about the front plates.
I drove a daily driver for over 2 years ('92 - '94) with no front plate and never got written up for it once.

That was years ago though -- it may be different now with more speed and red light cameras around...
Old Sep 5, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

well obviously is not practical to pull someone over doing 41. i was just simply stating that any speed over the speed limit is technically breaking the law. although i didnt know cali did that. here in CT the limit is the limit. if the cop wants to be an a** than he could pull you over for a tiny thing, like rolling stop signs, barely going over the limit, overreving. alot of people i kno have gotten excesive display of horsepower tickets. maybe he thought that revving his EVO to 5000RPM(which is alot for just cruising) was driving recklessly. i dunno bout you, but if i was a cop and heard a car turning at 5 grand cruising down the street, its pretty safe to assume theres moderate to harsh aceleration going on.

the front plate depends on the car. i drove a 92 galant for a year and a half with no front plate and didnt have any problems at all, while my friends in their rsx's and mustangs and such are getting snagged for no plates. its the car that draws attention. no one can deny that cops pay attention to faster cars.

Last edited by mikejam1688; Sep 5, 2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:34 AM

you really think he will win? and i doubt a a 16 year olds parents will even bother. they couldnt have given him the car without knowing he was gonna rack up a few tickets. hes a minor with a 276 HP car. at the most, the passenger charge will get dropped. the front plate i garuntee will stay. cali cops i hear are **** as hell about the front plates. theres no way he could plead he wasnt aware that it was the law.

and to the guy who said floor it and pass the other cars your driving with. dont even listen to him. thats the dumbest thing you could do. if he catches your plate you are even mroe screwed than you would be for speeding. evading police. not good.
what does he have to lose? they don't do anything but lower tickets in court (if not dismiss them completely) , so why not try? doesn't cost you anything.

get your *** up early and go to traffic court. if not, then don't complain about how much the ticket was or how unfair the cop was, because that's what traffic court is for.

the last time i went to traffic court, the cop was so pissed off of the charges the judge was dropping that he started interrupting the judge and trying to leave before the judge was done. it was great to see the cop so pissed off.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have one question, can i go there and explain my view without a lawyer?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:25 PM
Admin Alumni

Of course you can, but I would not advise that. Being young is an automatic handicap, and it does not matter how well-spoken or polite or knowledgeable you are, the judge is going to see "young kid, hot car, multiple infractions" and screw you. Most people here advise a lawyer, and I will do so again. Spend a few $$$ to get somebody who knows the system and can 'talk the talk' in the courtroom.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by SASD209
Of course you can, but I would not advise that. Being young is an automatic handicap, and it does not matter how well-spoken or polite or knowledgeable you are, the judge is going to see "young kid, hot car, multiple infractions" and screw you. Most people here advise a lawyer, and I will do so again. Spend a few $$$ to get somebody who knows the system and can 'talk the talk' in the courtroom.
what are you talking about? he's not being charged with murder or anything. i have NEVER seen or heard of anyone taking a lawyer to "traffic court". just read up about your ticket online (i'm sure you're internet savvy) and take some notes before you go. don't waste your money on a lawyer. might as well just pay the stupid ticket instead.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowlife
i have NEVER seen or heard of anyone taking a lawyer to "traffic court".

I have -- seen it personally when I've been at court fighting tickets, and had friends who hired lawyers for traffic offenses. And from what I've seen, it works.

One friend had his 88 mph in a 65 mph reduced to a non-points violation. Another had a 54 in a 25 basically dismissed -- he got no points and probation.

The only question is whether it's worth the cost.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jbrennen
I have -- seen it personally when I've been at court fighting tickets, and had friends who hired lawyers for traffic offenses. And from what I've seen, it works.

One friend had his 88 mph in a 65 mph reduced to a non-points violation. Another had a 54 in a 25 basically dismissed -- he got no points and probation.

The only question is whether it's worth the cost.
well it must be nice to be able to hire a lawyer for traffic court, but the majority of people don't do that...unless you live in a really rich area or something i guess. i've been to traffic court in Daly City, CA and Nevada City, CA and out of ALL the people at both courts (its like 3-4 hours of people pleading their case)...none of them had a lawyer.

do what you want, but i would recommend to just defend yourself, unless money is no object and you're doing it solely for principal..because it won't make sense financially to hire a lawyer for a ticket that might cost you $100-200 dollars at the most.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

do what you want, but i would recommend to just defend yourself, unless money is no object and you're doing it solely for principal..because it won't make sense financially to hire a lawyer for a ticket that might cost you $100-200 dollars at the most.
If you have a clean driving record to begin with, adding in the increased cost in insurance premiums over the next three years -- due to a conviction -- can easily make that ticket cost you as much as $800. A premium increase of $200 a year for a conviction wouldn't be unusual.

But traffic school can be an effective way to avoid the conviction/points as well.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 01:00 PM
Admin Alumni

what are you talking about? he's not being charged with murder or anything. i have NEVER seen or heard of anyone taking a lawyer to "traffic court". just read up about your ticket online (i'm sure you're internet savvy) and take some notes before you go. don't waste your money on a lawyer. might as well just pay the stupid ticket instead.

What am I talking about? Did you read the entire thread? I think my advice was pretty logical and well presented. You must not have read much as some people here have sought the advice of a lawyer or have been represented by one in traffic court. Your route is one way to go, but as other posters have said, the increased costs of having to pay the ticket and the associated insurance costs may justify the $$ for an attorney. As always, people get what they pay for when they ask for free advice....
Old Sep 7, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tien
If i was guilty i wouldnt even bother to post, and i wouldnt drive that wreckless on the road, if anything i can go to qualcomm where i can beat the **** out of my car, just because i am 16 doesnt make me a lier, i was following a friend in front, therefor i cant speed in the first place, and why would i "fly" around on public street, i am really not that stupid.
I agree, why would he post a BS version?