Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

trade 06 STI for 06 MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep the sti and use the 5k to mod. STI feels more fun and wild, evo is way too neutral. Not worth 5k loss.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

sti is still ugly though, i'd keep it if it's a 05.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Smart man,Tell him to get a GSR and he wont be 5k upside down. Save the money by not geeting the MR and later buy your own wheels and I think the 6spd is over rated anyway.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IXToes
Keep the sti and use the 5k to mod. STI feels more fun and wild, evo is way too neutral. Not worth 5k loss.
You must own an STI and have never driven an Evo at the limits. Stop reading magazines and go out and drive . You will see why people are all over trading in there Sti's for Evo's
Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:48 PM
Yme
Evolved Member

Yes. Trade the STI in
Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

I had an 06 STI with 191awkw, ECUTek Flash, intake, lowered STI springs and STI front lip, it was great.

BUT it was the one that was 'boring and neutral' not at all wild, raw, or fun, or passionate as the Evo. It isnt a patch on the Evo. Sure, from a pure feature comaprison, the STI is even or better, but the fact is the Evo kicks its ***.

I wonder if all these people commenting on how the 06 STI 'feels' with such certainty have actually owned one. I doubt it because if you have to live with the 06 STI and then live with the 06 Evo its BLINDINGLY obvious which car is better. I had the 06 STI for 6-7 months (11,000kms) and the 06 Evo for 1200kms so far. The evo rocks its world.

The evo is faster, looks better, handles better, is FAR more involving, is more precise, is a real drivers car, actually FEELS like a sports car, gets more attention on the road, sounds better, has a better stock turbo, has more stock turbo/clutch power potential, and IS the better car.

See my thread here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=218588

here is ONE of the many articles that convinced me to change to the Evo from the 06 STI. This article is SPOT ON.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109126

I can tell you right now I lost 7k changing cars (and more from the STI's mods) to the MR and I drove the STI VERY hard a number of times in a wide variety of conditions and circumstances, and I've done the same in a limited fashion with the evo. basically 1-2 hard hill sprints so far. and a number of street drives. The evo is a very different beast. and a MUCH more enjoyable way to spend your time and money. And its faster, and has all of the positives ive mentioned above.

My only regret is wasting $s on the STI in the first place. At least now I know that I prefer Evos to STIs, the hard way.

Trav

Last edited by troe666; Sep 5, 2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Why throw away 5g for a similar car? Keep the STi
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by troe666
I had an 06 STI with 191awkw, ECUTek Flash, intake, lowered STI springs and STI front lip, it was great.

BUT it was the one that was 'boring and neutral' not at all wild, raw, or fun, or passionate as the Evo. It isnt a patch on the Evo. Sure, from a pure feature comaprison, the STI is even or better, but the fact is the Evo kicks its ***.

I wonder if all these people commenting on how the 06 STI 'feels' with such certainty have actually owned one. I doubt it because if you have to live with the 06 STI and then live with the 06 Evo its BLINDINGLY obvious which car is better. I had the 06 STI for 6-7 months (11,000kms) and the 06 Evo for 1200kms so far. The evo rocks its world.

The evo is faster, looks better, handles better, is FAR more involving, is more precise, is a real drivers car, actually FEELS like a sports car, gets more attention on the road, sounds better, has a better stock turbo, has more stock turbo/clutch power potential, and IS the better car.

See my thread here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=218588

here is ONE of the many articles that convinced me to change to the Evo from the 06 STI. This article is SPOT ON.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109126

I can tell you right now I lost 7k changing cars (and more from the STI's mods) to the MR and I drove the STI VERY hard a number of times in a wide variety of conditions and circumstances, and I've done the same in a limited fashion with the evo. basically 1-2 hard hill sprints so far. and a number of street drives. The evo is a very different beast. and a MUCH more enjoyable way to spend your time and money. And its faster, and has all of the positives ive mentioned above.

My only regret is wasting $s on the STI in the first place. At least now I know that I prefer Evos to STIs, the hard way.

Trav
I couldn't agree more. I own both a 2005 STi and a 2006 Evo IX MR. The Evo is way more fun and exciting to drive. The STi feels pretty boring even though it is modded and has 304 whp. The Evo is sharper, quicker and more of a raw sports car. The STi just doesn't do it for me anymore. My wife uses it as her daily driver and I rarely drive it anymore. When the X comes out we are going to sell the STi and buy the X.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

if i were the guy i'd take the hit and get the car he really wants. i mean we only live once...

but i wouldn't take a 5k hit...tell him to sell his car by himself to get more value out of it (we all know trade in values are absolute ****), then get a IX gsr from South Coast....not much loss now

the above two reviews about the STi is also the way i feel. though the STi is still an awesome car...i know most of us here would be driving the STi if there were no Evo's in the states.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Smart man,Tell him to get a GSR and he wont be 5k upside down. Save the money by not geeting the MR and later buy your own wheels and I think the 6spd is over rated anyway.
That would be true if he was only getting an MR because it has six gears.

Anyhow.. 5k is about 100 bucks a month on a loan. But a GSR would be even. How long has this guy had his STi for?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by dayf
That would be true if he was only getting an MR because it has six gears.

Anyhow.. 5k is about 100 bucks a month on a loan. But a GSR would be even. How long has this guy had his STi for?
11 months
Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:56 AM

If he really wants to do it let him, but if he is only going to do light mods he will see pretty similar gains with each car.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ltwayner
11 months
He should wait a little while to make sure the Evo is not just an impulse buy. Both cars are great for the streets and track really. Just a little different in nature.

Fwiw.. I was 3k upside down when getting my Evo.. Didn't stop me though and I still don't regret it.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:23 AM

i have an MR wich i got after my first EVO. i thaught about getting an sti since i already had an EVO but i like the MR over the STI.

but... the STI is a sweet car also!!! if he already has it i would just keep it if i was him there is nothing wrong with it its an awsome car!

and yeah 5k into the STI will make it a fast ride if he spends the money correctly
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:27 AM
Account Disabled

Damn trade it in man, Nothing felt better then Waving good bye to My MR, and driving away in My Gsr! . I had good reason too, I Ruined the suspension on the MR by lowering the car and fought like hell to add more to the suspension to balance out the car and it was hopeless . I suggest you drive an MR before you decide on getting one , seriously every complaint I had about my MR were non existent on the GSR

Quick Reply: trade 06 STI for 06 MR?