Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I'm definitely surprised by how hard the EVO pulls from a roll

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm definitely surprised by how hard the EVO pulls from a roll

When I decided I was going to get another car, I narrowed it down to the STi, EVO, and G35. I need AWD so G35 (coupe) was out. Then it just came down to STi vs EVO. My boss had an STi and he let me drive it for an hour or so. However, I didnt want to beat on it.

I noticed that it pulled hard from low speed rolls, but I really couldnt get on it too hard from the higher rolls cause I didnt want to abuse the car with him in it.

I figured that the AWD in the STi/EVO would rob so much power, the car wouldnt pull well at higher speed...Then I bought my current IX and am just amazed at the pulling power in 5th gear! Thing feels like my 99 z28 did in 5th gear (6speed car).

Do the MR's pull that hard in 5th or is the gearing much different?

I could search, but I'm here now, so here goes: What is the top speed of the EVO IX, and what do they trap?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

ok here is the thing...the MR and STi pull hard in any gear...even 6th...as an owner of both cars (previous 05 sti owner) i can safely say they are great cars and comparing it to a Z28 is lowballing it:-P

also if you read car magazines each one has a different trap speed...some say 0-60 in 4.6 sec...others like edmunds say 0-60 in 4.9 sec. all depends on the driver....also 1/4 times i've seen around low 13's
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

congrats on the new ride its a monster
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

wait to slap on a Gt series turbo, then you will see how hard it pulls.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:11 PM

im not sure what top speed is on a IX 5-speed / 6-speed......well just try it next time you get onto a highway then let us know cuz im interested..and BTW check ure air pressure before you appempt this.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

157mph.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Batman281
When I decided I was going to get another car, I narrowed it down to the STi, EVO, and G35. I need AWD so G35 (coupe) was out. Then it just came down to STi vs EVO. My boss had an STi and he let me drive it for an hour or so. However, I didnt want to beat on it.

I noticed that it pulled hard from low speed rolls, but I really couldnt get on it too hard from the higher rolls cause I didnt want to abuse the car with him in it.

I figured that the AWD in the STi/EVO would rob so much power, the car wouldnt pull well at higher speed...Then I bought my current IX and am just amazed at the pulling power in 5th gear! Thing feels like my 99 z28 did in 5th gear (6speed car).

Do the MR's pull that hard in 5th or is the gearing much different?

I could search, but I'm here now, so here goes: What is the top speed of the EVO IX, and what do they trap?
Congrats on the purchase! I was in the same boat as you. I had test driven a few STi's, but was having trouble finding someone to let me test drive an Evo. Finally my friend let me drive his modded evo (Stock turbo 30psi, cams, meth.) and it pulled hard... Violently hard... Actually disuaed me from getting the Evo at 1st. Then when i was ready to buy i found a great deal on the Evo i own now the guy was great and let me drive it and i bought it as soons as i sold my old car! So congrats again! Also the top speed on the VIII's 5 speed is around 140+ ive been told. So that could be used as a frame of reference.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 09:39 PM

thanks guys.

I'm only comparing it's pulling power to the z28, cause as I said, I was shocked that the EVO pulled even comparably hard. I think it's in my head, though, cause my z28 trapped 112 with just intake/exhaust. This EVO can't be higher than, what, 103ish??
Old Sep 5, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Batman281
thanks guys.

I'm only comparing it's pulling power to the z28, cause as I said, I was shocked that the EVO pulled even comparably hard. I think it's in my head, though, cause my z28 trapped 112 with just intake/exhaust. This EVO can't be higher than, what, 103ish??
The freeway pull of a modded z28 is quick, I have witnessed that first hand! You're right about the traps on a stock evo IX though. 102-104 sounds right. Still has good top end considering the awd though..
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

its not all about trapping...an evo is an all around amazing car...on and off road, on and off the track. personally i don't take trap times into much consideration....what really counts is roll speeds cause thats what you'll be doing in and out of turns
Old Sep 6, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

its not that hard to get ur IX trappin 112 either but yea the Evo's top end isn't as bad as some ppl make it out to be...top end is "limited" due to boost tapering mainly...after u get a tune/flash and boost controller, esp. cams ur top end will be pretty good
Old Sep 6, 2006, 02:26 AM
Evolving Member

Personally I'm not impressed with the Evo's performance from a roll. Even with a Flash it feels on the conservative side.