Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

ok..i'm going to be blunt here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok..i'm going to be blunt here

only because i've been on the fence about this for some time now. I've asked before about if i should purchase an evo or not before, but i want to throw some numbers in there to see what you guys think. I want to pick myself up an Evolution, and the dealer by me is offering an MR for 31k.

i am stating the following purely for advice

i work a union job at UPS as a driver and i make 45k a year now, next year i will make 51k a year, and 6 months after that i will make 80k a year.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si now, and the insurance on this car through the same carrier is only $20/month more for a brand new IX MR.

i love my Civic, but want to get something with AWD for when i visit my family due to the snow that is consistent all winter and also want to get a sedan for more room for family..BUT...i still want something that kicks *** (like the evo) .

as i stated before in a previous post, it will only take 44% of my "discretionary/free income (after taxes/bills/rent/etc)" now, 26% next year, and 14% 6 months later after that.

i just wanted to get some input from you guys now that i am providing actual numbers now and see what everyone has to say now.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

buy the damn car or buy this one https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=223346
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Go for it! With all the extra money you will have in a year or 2, you wont have any problem paying for it.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silver05Bullet

going from 31k to 40k is a big jump, considering how indecisive i am being for spending 31k.
Evolving Member

Get off that fence and get your butt into a dealership and get one already.

i have nothing to say....just buy an evo you wont regret it... it is the best investment?...well no, but the o5 evo 8 did rank highest resale value amonung all consumer cars.and 06 will prob pull it off.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

you'll need winter tires for a winter car.
Maybe you shouldn't ask this question on an Evo forums. I think most people would be biased towards purchasing one.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:21 PM

oh and to add to the list....the loan would be for 60 months.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
you'll need winter tires for a winter car.
Maybe you shouldn't ask this question on an Evo forums. I think most people would be biased towards purchasing one.
yeah, i figured i would need different tires, but it would be a whole hell of a lot better than putting chains on. god dammit i did that too many times last winter.

i know people would be biased on here, but i wasn't asking if i should buy an evo over an sti or something like that...just if you would do it if you were in my position.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowlife
yeah, i figured i would need different tires, but it would be a whole hell of a lot better than putting chains on. god dammit i did that too many times last winter.

i know people would be biased on here, but i wasn't asking if i should buy an evo over an sti or something like that...just if you would do it if you were in my position.
It depends on your expenses.
I make 60k right now. Literally interviewed for another job this morning.
I picked up my WW GSR today after the interview.

I got a 5.99 APR. My credit score is in the 800's and I have a good debt/income ratio.
My trade in was worth 6500.
The difference between each 1 full point of interest was about 16 bucks a month.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not...but you could do a 6 year lease to drop payments, and after you start making more money, just send more money in for your monthly payments. This will decrease your principal payments and shorten the term of your loan.

My payments are around 430 a month, but I'll probably be paying 500. That should shorten the term of my loan by about 6 months or so

try going to http://www.bankrate.com/brm/auto-loan-calculator.asp to calculate it out.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
It depends on your expenses.
I make 60k right now. Literally interviewed for another job this morning.
I picked up my WW GSR today after the interview.

I got a 5.99 APR. My credit score is in the 800's and I have a good debt/income ratio.
My trade in was worth 6500.
The difference between each 1 full point of interest was about 16 bucks a month.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not...but you could do a 6 year lease to drop payments, and after you start making more money, just send more money in for your monthly payments. This will decrease your principal payments and shorten the term of your loan.

My payments are around 430 a month, but I'll probably be paying 500. That should shorten the term of my loan by about 6 months or so

try going to http://www.bankrate.com/brm/auto-loan-calculator.asp to calculate it out.
yeah, if i did a 5 year lease with the same down payment, it would be like 105 a month...but i dunno if i want to lease it. i guess that would be an option. i could always buy it after the lease when i'm making more.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i make 45k a year now, next year i will make 51k a year, and 6 months after that i will make 80k a year.
How does that work? Is it in your contract or is that just speculation? Personally, I don't think putting 44% of your income into a car payment sounds like a good idea.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by f-dub
How does that work? Is it in your contract or is that just speculation? Personally, I don't think putting 44% of your income into a car payment sounds like a good idea.
like i stated, it would be 44% of my "free money" (after bills, taxes, etc). and yes, it is in our contract...that is guaranteed to me.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like i stated, it would be 44% of my "free money" (after bills, taxes, etc). and yes, it is in our contract...that is guaranteed to me.
Wow, pretty sweet deal. I would say go with the 6 year loan as previously suggested. Make sure you get the loan through a bank that will allow you to pay extra towards the prinipal each month and not charge fees for doing so.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by f-dub
Wow, pretty sweet deal. I would say go with the 6 year loan as previously suggested. Make sure you get the loan through a bank that will allow you to pay extra towards the prinipal each month and not charge fees for doing so.
wow...i looked up a 6-yr loan and it would drop my monthlies by $50/month. not bad...and that could just be until i'm making the more money and just pay more towards principal...or refi...i dunno.

Quick Reply: ok..i'm going to be blunt here