Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

came back from dealership..test drove 06 sti and an evo 9 again.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
came back from dealership..test drove 06 sti and an evo 9 again.

Since this was my first time driving the STI..I was pretty excited but it felt heavy. one thing that I noticed as well was that the clutch was pretty stiff compared to the evo 9. but I did like the instrumental panel better than the evo. the seats were nice too...oh well will see how it goes. But from the looks of it I think I will be choosing the evo.

-John

Last edited by evo_skillz; Sep 20, 2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

You like the seats in the Sti more than the Evo?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

I find them to be more comfortable. I hate the lumbar adjustment knobs on the evo...it's hard to get too. wish it had a lever handle insead.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:00 PM

I owned a 06 STI for a few months. I liked the STI better for daily driving compared to my IX, but the IX is the better track car. Honestly, if I had to do it over, I would have stuck with my STI, but that's just me
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

If you want a fast car thats still comfortable then go STi. If you want a real on the edge sports car with some creature comforts go with the Evo. Thats the way i was looking at when i was trying to make my decision. Glad i went with the Evo too! Good luck in your decision!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

I'd probably get a STI for daily driving too if I can repick. Mmmmm 2.5 liters....
Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

For daily driving I would get a STI since it has a lot of low end torque so it doesn't feel all ehh driving in heavy traffic.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:16 AM

I've read that after a custom tune the Evo's low down torque gets much better, have any of you experienced this?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:15 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_skillz
I hate the lumbar adjustment knobs on the evo...it's hard to get too. wish it had a lever handle insead.
You're thinking of the seatback adjustment. There are no lumbar adjustment knobs on the Evo.

Originally Posted by Chris D
I've read that after a custom tune the Evo's low down torque gets much better, have any of you experienced this?
I don't see how that's possible - 2.0L is 2.0L no matter how you slice it.

Last edited by FJF; Sep 21, 2006 at 04:18 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

I dont know, theres something about the subys that i just cant get into. Ive got my fair share of driving them with all the ones riding around.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris D
Yes it does get better. The car feels much stronger overall after tune, down low, top end. I gained 37 Lb/Ft of torque with a very conservative tune.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Seats are better in an EVO than a STI. The instrument panel is better in the STI but it's still nothing special and not a reason to buy that car in my opinion, a Legacy GT would be a better option if that's what you are looking for, a comfortable kick *** daily driver.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:06 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Yes it does get better. The car feels much stronger overall after tune, down low, top end. I gained 37 Lb/Ft of torque with a very conservative tune.
Down low, really? No dyno chart has ever reflected this, because the turbo doesn't begin to spool until much later. Before the spool, the car is working off its displacement. What tune can change that? I'm willing to bet Warrtalon's left nut that the 37wtq you gained wasn't before the turbo started to spool.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Down low, really? No dyno chart has ever reflected this, because the turbo doesn't begin to spool until much later. Before the spool, the car is working off its displacement. What tune can change that? I'm willing to bet Warrtalon's left nut that the 37wtq you gained wasn't before the turbo started to spool.
Your right the 37wtq comes after, but in all honesty the car is just easier to drive. I really don't drive to fast on the streets, and I do grandma lurches from lights most of the time, and believe me, it's just a lot easier to drive how I do, then before the tune, or mods. Does the EVO still feel a little sluggish down low, yes, but not as bad as before, and power comes on much quicker too.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

I will give you my two cents. I went to a dealership where they had a STI and an EVO. I went back and fourth like 5 times before I chose. I noticed that the EVO definitely picked up a lot faster and was more fun to drive. The STI I believe is a faster car by a few HP, but felt like a pig off the line. Other Subie owners tell me Subarus have a more linear acceleration. I finally chose the EVO due to its drivability and the over look of the car. I definitely get more compliments and people tell me I made a better choice. But if you never own a DSM Mitsubishi your in for a surprise. They don't have the reliability factor or the frills as the Subies. But you will have a bigger Grin on your face driving around in an EVO, especially the MR.

Last edited by evo72man; Sep 21, 2006 at 10:33 AM.