Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

IX MR or GSR?? or 335i??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IX MR or GSR?? or 335i??

Is it worth the extra $$$$ to get the MR over the GSR? The only thing I can think of that I like in the MR is the 6 spd tranny...all other parts can easily be attained.

Is it faster than the GSR? The extra suspension work will make it faster around a track I assume.

I guess if you want to keep your car in a stock format it's a better option?

I'm trying to factor in the depreciation rate for each, I'm sure the MR is more rare so it shouldn't depreciate as fast right?

I only plan on keeping this car for 2 to 3 yrs then selling it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Or just go with the 335i?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mitsu is to the BMW as a case of PBR is to a good merlot - both are alcohols but thats about where the similarity ends. Beyond that, they play two pretty different roles. I don't think many cross shop the two, and if you're even considering one, then the other is definitely not for you.

In the event that you narrow it down to the base IX (we don't get the GSR here in the US) and the MR and are looking at performance numbers only, note that the two are, for all intents and purposes, identical in performance on the track. Both will respond the same to mods.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noob4life
The Mitsu is to the BMW as a case of PBR is to a good merlot - both are alcohols but thats about where the similarity ends. Beyond that, they play two pretty different roles. I don't think many cross shop the two, and if you're even considering one, then the other is definitely not for you.

In the event that you narrow it down to the base IX (we don't get the GSR here in the US) and the MR and are looking at performance numbers only, note that the two are, for all intents and purposes, identical in performance on the track. Both will respond the same to mods.

Sigh, no... they're not identicle on the track. I believe it was road and track this did a full length test of the Evo MR, GSR, and RS on a road course and the MR was the fastest.

sorry but there is definitely a difference.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

we do get the GSR here, along with the RS and MR.

honestly it comes down to if you want to spend the extra money for the BMW, youll get more luxury not too sure about the current specs of the 335 vs MR.

as far as MR vs GSR its been beaten to death, it depends on what route you will go with modding, going coilovers, wheels, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

I would go with MR or GSR SE. If you can spare out little more, new 335ci look really nice. My wife will trade her TSX for BMW soon. It's nice chick car. lol.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
Sigh, no... they're not identicle on the track. I believe it was road and track this did a full length test of the Evo MR, GSR, and RS on a road course and the MR was the fastest.

sorry but there is definitely a difference.
Hardly true. R&T implied the difference was almost negligible. To quote them directly, "Is the MR's 0.27-second advantage (the snap of a finger) over the Evo VIII worth $4800?" I guess it is up to you.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../steering.html
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rotaz,

I was at the dealer looking at the 335I and I spent 2 hours there talking to the BMW salesman. I also took some pics of the BMW 335I.

Unfortunately I couldn't reach an agreement, they were only willing to pay me $23500 for my 05 Evo 8 MR with only 15k and off course they wouldn't lower the MSRP on the BMW arguing that is a high demanded car. The salesman also told me that I better order mine now otherwise I would have to wait for a long time plus pay extra for the 07 models

The BMW is a great car, the quality is awsome, I was aiming for the 6 speed with aluminium trim and sport package(18"rims and sports seats).

After thinking it twice, I am going to stick around with the MR and change it for the upcoming Evo X.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 22, 2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

All 3 models of the EVO are offered in the states, who said that?? Anyway, to each their own as far as which model to buy.. I kick myself often because I didn't pay the extra couple grand to buy the MR. As for BMW, Im in Germany now and BMW's are a dime a dozen... I saw the new 335 and it looks nice with the twin turbo and all, but the EVO gets respect here.. Its not the fastest or best by far... In fact Audi Wagons roll right by me on the Autobahn on a daily basis.. But they look at my car while passing, not the other way around..
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ Great point that you brought up. I actually went to the BMW after duty hours and in military uniform and one of the first things the salesman mentioned was that I could order the BMW straight from the BMW factory in Germany, unfortunately you can only do that while stationed overseas or on tdy orders..just a clarification.

Savings were around 7%. I hope that helps. By the way evolutionized, that applies to you because you are stationed there in Germany.

Are you planning on ordering the BMW thorugh pentagon sales? they are represented in almost all the European countries.

Carlos
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

You all do realize that there are certain tracks that are better for the five speed and certain tracks that are better for the 6-speed right????

Not all tracks are created equal. Some of them are very technical with off camber turns and elevation changes. Other tracks have a lot of smooth transitions and high speed straights......saying that one is faster on the road course is an ignorant statement on its own.

Ya you say that the MR is faster....but on what track??? Can't tell me???? The fact is that the gearing of the five speed is better on some tracks and the 6-speed is better on some.....those are the facts. Same for every car. You can't base a magazine article that tested one track and then say that the MR beats the GSR everywhere.....
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:24 AM
Pocket Mo

There is no way the MR is worth the amount of MSRP vs MSRP difference from the GSR. There was a $600 difference from the GSR SE and MR for me so I jumped on the MR for the softer ride and other MR goodies. If the difference was over $1500, I would've said screw the MR and gone with the GSR.

Now the 335i and Evo question is a completely different story. Do you want to blend in with traffic and also have a quiet, luxurious, and don't mind the loss of traction in the snow? Go with the 335i. If you want a car that can keep up with modified car on the track right off the dealership lot? Evo all the way. It all depends on your preference and if you're willing to pay the huge premium to go with a 335.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

ya 335 is 40K supposedly.....at that point you'd have one bad evo w/ nice coilovers/seats/wheels/ and about 350whp
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoLutionized8
All 3 models of the EVO are offered in the states, who said that?? Anyway, to each their own as far as which model to buy.. I kick myself often because I didn't pay the extra couple grand to buy the MR. As for BMW, Im in Germany now and BMW's are a dime a dozen... I saw the new 335 and it looks nice with the twin turbo and all, but the EVO gets respect here.. Its not the fastest or best by far... In fact Audi Wagons roll right by me on the Autobahn on a daily basis.. But they look at my car while passing, not the other way around..
haha...not in a Audi A4 Avant....i had my brother's wife's audi pecked out on the autobahn doing 220km/hr and i was getting passed by everything lol
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Rotaz,

I was at the dealer looking at the 335I and I spent 2 hours there talking to the BMW salesman. I also took some pics of the BMW 335I.

Unfortunately I couldn't reach an agreement, they were only willing to pay me $23500 for my 05 Evo 8 MR with only 15k and off course they wouldn't lower the MSRP on the BMW arguing that is a high demanded car. The salesman also told me that I better order mine now otherwise I would have to wait for a long time plus pay extra for the 07 models

The BMW is a great car, the quality is awsome, I was aiming for the 6 speed with aluminium trim and sport package(18"rims and sports seats).

After thinking it twice, I am going to stick around with the MR and change it for the upcoming Evo X.

Carlos
if you have the money, just fly to Germany and build a 3 series BMW at the factory to your exact spec and have them ship it....thats what i will do when i buy a german car. You get to pick everything from the color of the carpet, type of seats, color of the car, trim lvl, wheels etc etc etc...non of this american cheap dealership crap where you are stuck with what the dealer wants to give you. I've not bought cars in the past because dealers here refused to swap out the wheels with a different trim lvl's wheels.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

I say 335. That car is ****.

Quick Reply: IX MR or GSR?? or 335i??