Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

9000 rpms?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9000 rpms?!

I was on the way home from the gym and i was doing a little spirited driving and i was switching around 7000 rpms.

I went 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and went to throw it into fourth and somehow managed to get it into 2nd. The rpms shot up to 9 grand for a sec, and i hit the brakes. I dunno how that happened, flame me if you must but I just wanted to make sure that everything is ok.

I drove it around a little after and everything seemed fine. I let it idle for about 3 minutes before shutting it off.

Anyone else ever do this? Is the engine going to be ok? lol sounds like im talking about my kid, but i am a little worried.

Oh and by the way the car is stock.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your car is fine, dont do that again.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

whooops hellllooo bearings....
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by icedomin8r
Your car is fine, dont do that again.
I took my 95 gst with almost 90k on the clock up to 9500 rpms doing that same thing and it was just fine. These motors can easily take it by mistake.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if something happened you'd know very quick. if the car isn't idling like a diesel you should be ok
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:40 PM
Pocket Mo

You gotta love the motors in these things. Most RSX owners needed new valves, heads, or an entirely new motor in many cases. If no CEL or motor running weird, you're safe.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:44 PM
Account Disabled

your lucky you didnt float a valve......
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

check your oil.

pray for no metal shavings.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldve been more worried about the valves.

A good technique for shifting is to cup the gear shift knob in the palm of your hand with your fingers pointing down the shaft and pull the lever into the next gear (on down-ward gears such as 2-4) On upshifts (gears 1-3-5) place the gear shift knob in the heel of you hand and push up. I know this sounds like a normal process but believe me it is a basic movement that alot of people miss. Bad techniques for example are grasping the lever from the side and forcing it into gear. Treat the knob as if it were an egg. Be precise, be gentle. Your gear box will last longer. Obviously with drag racing you need to be much quicker but the same hand motions/grip will apply and help you eliminate missed shifts and wrong gear selections. I learned this technique from the Bondurant book....something like 15 years ago. I read it as a teenager and have been doing it ever since. It really works.

Last edited by althemean; Sep 25, 2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
You gotta love the motors in these things. Most RSX owners needed new valves, heads, or an entirely new motor in many cases. If no CEL or motor running weird, you're safe.
yeah i almost did that.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by althemean
I wouldve been more worried about the valves.

A good technique for shifting is to cup the gear shift knob in the palm of your hand with your fingers pointing down the shaft and pull the lever into the next gear (on down-ward gears such as 2-4) On upshifts (gears 1-3-5) place the gear shift knob in the heel of you hand and push up. I know this sounds like a normal process but believe me it is a basic movement that alot of people miss. Bad techniques for example are grasping the lever from the side and forcing it into gear. Treat the knob as if it were an egg. Be precise, be gentle. Your gear box will last longer. Obviously with drag racing you need to be much quicker but the same hand motions/grip will apply and help you eliminate missed shifts and wrong gear selections. I learned this technique from the Bondurant book....something like 15 years ago. I read it as a teenager and have been doing it ever since. It really works.
+1 That's how I do it and I've never missed a shift.

Your engine is fine but you are lucky that the valves and springs held up to that abuse.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

yah your lucky.. I had a guy that we put a new k series engine in his car.. the next day he miss shifted and ruined his entire engine.. sad to say that it cost him 5 grand for the engine to blow it up the next day.. but in your case u should be ok..
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

yes valves are usually what get damaged by these mis-shifts....

just try ur best not to do this again....a bent valve is not fun.

if u redlined all 3 gears u'd been at about 80mph+...goin into 2nd at that speed is not good
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:21 PM
Pocket Mo

Ouch with the K motor, those things are pricey. 100hp per liter on a NA is no easy feat. Those motors usually cost an arm and a leg.

It's possible to push some motors to a rpm level well past it's factory set cutoff as long as it's done gradually. That same motor can blow by just misshifting and going to 500 rpm past it's cutoff. Better gradually than suddenly.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

I did it 2 twice. Car seems fine (4.5k miles so far). Don't do it again!

Quick Reply: 9000 rpms?!