Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Not all oils are created equal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not all oils are created equal?

I know someones gonna tell me to use the search button but I couldn't find anything. I don't want synthetic oil just normal motor oil. I heard that all regular motor oil was for the most part created equal i.e. "all motor oil is made in 2 world wide plants." But I don't know if this is true. So what do you think is the best. OEM vs. Castrol Gtx. vs. etc. vs. etc. Which is the best non synthetic. Also how much more will a synthetic oil change run up vs. a normal one. Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Search better.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know much about regular motor oils as I run synthetic in my Evo and my BMW. However, Castrol GTX seems popular with the "dino juice" crowd. A few vintage racers I know use dino juice, and they swear by GTX and Kendall (not so easy to find anymore).

Emre
Old Oct 8, 2006, 06:15 PM
Account Disabled

ive used castrol since day one in my evo.....and all my other cars
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

do not use regular oil in your evo...the owner's manual clearly says that...the turbo engine needs full synthetic and recommends mobil 1...i guess you could use castrol full synthetic.....in all of my other normal non turbo cars i've always used castrol gtx regular oil...but in the evo i'll be using mobil 1 full synthetic like the owner's manual says
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've read before that castrol syntec isn't really a FULL synthetic either. there's some loophole that allows the full synthetic tag to be put on an oil that isn't really 100% synthetic. like i said, i read this somewhere, forgot where, so before i get flamed, i'm not absolutely sure this is true, just what i've seen.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:14 PM

i read on here if the dealer finds out you dont run synthetic oil in your EVO it can void your warranty...but do u have an evo? if you dont (since ur profile says lancer es) i wouldnt even worry about running synthetic, just change the oil at 3000k - 3500k miles and your fine
Old Oct 8, 2006, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hondafan
i've read before that castrol syntec isn't really a FULL synthetic either. there's some loophole that allows the full synthetic tag to be put on an oil that isn't really 100% synthetic. like i said, i read this somewhere, forgot where, so before i get flamed, i'm not absolutely sure this is true, just what i've seen.
This whole synthetic oil thing is a bit hard to assess these days. Originally, oils were called "full synthetic" when they started with 100% synthetic base stocks (like PAO's or esthers). Mobil 1 and Castrol started calling their oils "full synthetic" even though they both started off with mineral oils as base stock. They argue that, even though they start with dino juice, they process the base stock so extensively that they can be considered "synthetic."

Almost all of the "synthetic" oils on the market are in this camp. It's more accurate to call them "semi synthetic." If you want a true 100% synthetic oil, you'll need to read the label to make sure the base stock is synthetic. Motul 300V, Torco SR-5, Elf Excellium, and others are true 100% synthetic oils...but most of these are designed for race applications. As such, they have minimal detergents, minimal dry start protection, and marginal cold weather performance...all of which makes them a poor choice for a daily driven street car.

In the end, most of us will use Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline SynPower, Royal Purple, or other semi-synthetic oils in our street cars day-to-day. We'll swap in 100% synthetic race lube when we hit the track, for example, but we don't leave it in the crankcase for regular use.

Emre
Old Oct 8, 2006, 09:18 PM

Well said. And why wouldn't you use Synthetic once your break-in was complete?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 09:23 PM

I have always ran mobil 1.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Use fully synthetic mobil 1.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Motul seems to be easily available... and lots of people say the 300V line is solid. I haven't heard anyone complain about this one.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use redline in all my nicer cars
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

I know but I have a lancer es. non turboed. So go with GTX? thanks
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:13 AM
Pocket Mo

I run Amsoil in all my cars, family cars, and whatever car I do an oil change.

Quick Reply: Not all oils are created equal?