Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:39 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
check the upper moulding of the windshield. my MR shows some gaps like there is no black caulking inside it. but so far no leaks. I'll try to have the dealer apply a bead of caulking as preventive measure.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rguy
What is isht? Im sorry, but a person doesnt just notice a bunch of water after driving for awhile. You would notice it RIGHT away. This guy is a joke. Period. If im wrong, i want pics.

go back to h-t, cool guy.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oOoof.. that sux especially when you first got your new car and got this ****ty(_X_) issue.. go back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.. if it happens again and again after it fixed. Ask them for the new one
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

I don't mean to bring a post outta the dead, but wanted to update. Needless to say, my car leaked again. I somewhat found the source of the leak. At the base of the windshield below the psgr. side wiper motor, there is a seam in the body work. We carefully poured water with a jug and small hose on individual spots and had one person on the inside. I saw water running down on the inside of the firewall, behind the hvac unit. All the wool insulation from there down was soaked, and the carpet (being the 2nd time thru this) is ruined. The wool is now just mush. It's just falling apart. I took it to the dealer and they are gonna look at it, but to replace the wool material behind the dash, it seems the dash may have to come out. Honestly, if someone has to dissasemble the car that much, I don't want the damn thing. Not to mention this is the 2nd time this has happened. Just wanted to put this on here in case other members have a similar problem. The f*in dealer still wants a rep to look at it to determine if it's a mnftr. defect!!!!???? What a dumb a**.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

mtsu warranty is junk. this should be a no question fix under warranty. tell them you want the mitsu district rep to come out and review the situation.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:38 PM
Account Disabled

wow , thats crazy man! Thats the frist time I hear of an Evo with that problem , best of luck dealing with the dealer .
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

The dealership here told me some BS about the rep only coming once a month (is that true?) My worry is that they will just dump some expanding foam or something like that down behind the firewall to half a** fix the thing. If I could locate the leak spot on, I would seal it with silicone, my big prob. is scoring a new carpet. Even at that, I don't want them putting it in. I just want the new carpet. And I'll do all the labor. I already have the car gutted AGAIN with out a scratch so....
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

wow, tell them you want anew car because eventually all that water will grow to mold and stink up the car (if it has not already) sorry to hear about this
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

if you had your a/c on and this happens it means the line that supposed to dump the water out is clogged and if it cant go out that way its going to so somewhere so it floods up on your passenger floor.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I wouldnt let them touch my ish at all. Id pull the dash apart myself and fix it. I know it sucks and you should'nt have to but they will do more harm then good to your ride if you let them.

Take pics of everything once you get it apart to prove where the water is coming from. At least if you take it apart you'll know it went back together right and also what you did to fix it.

Def write the letter to mitsu corp to see if they will help you out with getting a new carpet. Or see If you can find one on here. Mabey one of our venders have one laying around that they took out of their race car.

Good Luck man we are on your side
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by daved
go back to h-t, cool guy.
lol

No **** I have the same leak issue and I've already been to the dealer and had the whole car apart and resealed, and it doesn't leak as much as it did just like the OP here. Now it just gets slightly damp in the passengers footwell after serious rainstorms.

But I will Not take the car back to the service department. I will look to solve it myself. They were helpful, didn't give me **** like the OP said here, they listened to me and tried to resolve the issue But didn't fully and I just don't trust them. I need to take a day and take the car apart and figure out where the leak is and just seal/solve it myself and I have no problem doing such.

Otherwise the car is flawless.

Heres a post with similar experiences and page 2 starts with my experiences: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192223

Last edited by Mr Chef; Nov 24, 2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I wouldnt let them touch my ish at all. Id pull the dash apart myself and fix it. I know it sucks and you should'nt have to but they will do more harm then good to your ride if you let them.

Take pics of everything once you get it apart to prove where the water is coming from. At least if you take it apart you'll know it went back together right and also what you did to fix it.

Def write the letter to mitsu corp to see if they will help you out with getting a new carpet. Or see If you can find one on here. Mabey one of our venders have one laying around that they took out of their race car.

Good Luck man we are on your side
I agree
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Dude - check your local lemon law. In Florida, if they can't fix it after two or three attempts and with proper documentation, they have to replace the car.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!! Soooo, everyone with the factory boost/volt gauges listen up! After gutting the car, I had my dad spray a high pressure water hose on every seam, gap, window seal, windshield trim....and so on while I was inside at the spot where I could best determine where the water is coming from. When he sprayed the psgr. side molding near the wiper motor, water started coming in. We had to narrow that down even more so we took off the wipers, and the psgr. side motor. We sprayed more water in the exact area since there are a bunch of welds and seams in there. we sprayed and sprayed and the water stopped coming in??? So i was like WTF! We decided to remove the Front right wheel and the plastic wheel well trim. After racking our brains and spraying with a spray bottle on every tack weld and seam we couldn't get it to leak!!? To make a long story short, there is a large rubber grommet behind the plastic trim that has 2 wires running thru it. The dealer ran the vacuum/boost hose and 2 power wires thru that grommet in a very Sh*tty manner. It looks like they just stabbed a screwdriver thru the rubber and jammed the hose and wires thru leaving a nasty tear in the rubber, and hence a LEAK! I'm def. going back to the dealer where I bought the car so they can tear the Mech. *** up, since the dealer is now going to have to incur the cost of the carpet and sound deadener behing the dash. It's not technically a Manuftr. defect, it was a lazy/dumb mechanic at the dealership. Hope this helps others if they find a leak similar to mine.....heres a pic or two...

Old Nov 25, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info! My dealer couldn't find anything wrong, so they just drained, dried carpet, and reassembled. It hasn't leak since then (2wks ago and went through couple of storms) However, if it does, I will provide them w/ ur discovery. One ? though, I thought for the MR, the car was shipped to the dealer with the gauges and stuff already put in....I guess I am wrong on this?

Quick Reply: My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!