Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure myself about the factory installed gauges. But by looking at the shotty work, plus under the hood, the vacuum/boost line and wires aren't even heat shrink protected, and just zip tied to the a/c lines. It almost looks like an aftermarket install job. That's the reason I think the dealer put them in.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again great info, please keep us posted!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:28 AM
Bro

Originally Posted by Psquared
I'm not sure myself about the factory installed gauges. But by looking at the shotty work, plus under the hood, the vacuum/boost line and wires aren't even heat shrink protected, and just zip tied to the a/c lines. It almost looks like an aftermarket install job. That's the reason I think the dealer put them in.
Thanks for posting this, anyone with an MR or RS needs to check this!!.

The gauges are installed at the port. in the southeast that probably means Jacksonville where mine came in. I just got my rs a few weeks ago (my first post here), anyway when I saw your problem I pulled off the fenderwell cover and found the exact same ****ty install job. only on mine there was some kind of gum like putty on the hole, it think it could have actually been gum, but there was still a big hole. I used a bunch of silicone and tape to seal it and had to rerout the vac line and sensor line and tied them with the rest of the wires because they were just hanging.

I didn't find any evidence of leakage under my carpet but I am sure this saved me alot of heartache down the road. I had a leak in my old car and now I am super paranoid about it.

I think the dealer should completely replace your carpet under warranty because the stuff wasn't done right by mitsu and obviously any MRs or RSs that came through Jax probably have the same problem.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:43 AM

guess its a good idea I just planned on installing a good aftermarket boost gauge eh? no leaks for me thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!! After racking our brains and spraying with a spray bottle on every tack weld and seam we couldn't get it to leak!!? To make a long story short, there is a large rubber grommet behind the plastic trim that has 2 wires running thru it. The dealer ran the vacuum/boost hose and 2 power wires thru that grommet in a very Sh*tty manner. It looks like they just stabbed a screwdriver thru the rubber and jammed the hose and wires thru leaving a nasty tear in the rubber, and hence a LEAK! I'm def. going back to the dealer where I bought the car so they can tear the Mech. *** up, since the dealer is now going to have to incur the cost of the carpet and sound deadener behing the dash. It's not technically a Manuftr. defect, it was a lazy/dumb mechanic at the dealership. Hope this helps others if they find a leak similar to mine.....heres a pic or two...

Originally Posted by Bro
Thanks for posting this, anyone with an MR or RS needs to check this!!.

The gauges are installed at the port. in the southeast that probably means Jacksonville where mine came in. I just got my rs a few weeks ago (my first post here), anyway when I saw your problem I pulled off the fenderwell cover and found the exact same ****ty install job. only on mine there was some kind of gum like putty on the hole, it think it could have actually been gum, but there was still a big hole. I used a bunch of silicone and tape to seal it and had to rerout the vac line and sensor line and tied them with the rest of the wires because they were just hanging.

I didn't find any evidence of leakage under my carpet but I am sure this saved me alot of heartache down the road. I had a leak in my old car and now I am super paranoid about it.

I think the dealer should completely replace your carpet under warranty because the stuff wasn't done right by mitsu and obviously any MRs or RSs that came through Jax probably have the same problem.

OK guys I NEED help with this.

I took about an hour yesterday and removed the rocker panel cover by the door, and the kick plate on the inner passengers side footwell and then peeled back the carpet and low and behold Yes it's wet again!

I did notice where the dealership last added sealant to alot of the floor pan welds when they tried to solve the issue the first time but a good friend of mine who is a trusted mechanic and I took time spraying water all over and I sat inside and looked for a leak but couldn't see anything.

I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE ABOVE GROMMET IS LOCATED? Is it on the firewall? Because I already looked at one above where your left foot would be if you were sitting as a passenger and it doesn't leak. It actually seems to be quite sound. BUT the grommet I looked at does NOT look like the one posted above or in the same position as described above.

Where exactly is the offending grommet posted above? I'd like to locate the leak myself before I bring it back and demand carpet replacement. Because I don't want the car to be in the shop for a week or more while they again "try" to locate the issue.

Thanks for all help in advance. If I can solve this issue I will be extremely satisfied with this car I have no other problems but this and it's an annoying one at least.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:38 PM

Which dealership did you go to, NC dude?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 04:50 AM
Bro

you have to remove the passenger side tire, then the plastic covering in the wheel well, its held on with just two 10mm bolts and a bunch of clips, pry up the middle of the clips and they come right out.

the worst part is that if you look at the grommet (can't see in my pics but in the others) there is a small boot towards the top meant for these lines to through just wasn't done right. but it is a good spot to use for those doing aftermarket installs.

here it is:

this was stuck on the hole -- spearmint?

heres how the boost and temp sensor lines were hangin

heres after I cleaned it up and sealed the hole, I had to splice in a peice af vac line to make it long enough to rerout.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you so much for the detailed response. It makes perfect sense that the particular gasket both you and psquared found would leak where it does inside. Just be glad yours didn't leak like ours.

Now I have a project for Sunday morning.

Thanks again for taking the time to post up but also to answer my question and post pics.

Old Dec 3, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bro
you have to remove the passenger side tire, then the plastic covering in the wheel well, its held on with just two 10mm bolts and a bunch of clips, pry up the middle of the clips and they come right out.
I can't tell you how thankfull I am you took the time to post this all up. I spent some time this morning and went over mine. It looks pretty much the same as yours except mine didn't even have any Wrigleys spearmint "sealing" up the ripped hole

I rerouted the oil temp and boost line, taped them out of the way and used copious amounts of silicone II through 2 different applications letting it almost dry in between applications. It makes obvious sense that this is where the water is coming in since I spent time like the rest of us spraying water all over the front end of the car and finding Nothing then seeing this hole staring at me after I peeled back the fender liner I just smacked myself in the forehead and said damn!

The install was lazy and crude at best. I'm surprised more people haven't had this issue to date.

I also took the time to remove the glove box to try and weasle my hands between the wires and whatnot to seal the inside but no go. It's almost impossible to get to the grommet from the inside. But when I look where it is low and behold right under it is where the carpet is wet.

I hope this is the solution. I took a slew of clear digital pics and am going to go to my dealership soon and "negotiate" a New carpet.

Originally Posted by Bro
the worst part is that if you look at the grommet (can't see in my pics but in the others) there is a small boot towards the top meant for these lines to through just wasn't done right. but it is a good spot to use for those doing aftermarket installs.
No ****, that's why I say lazy or even half assed. I just couldn't believe it when I saw it. Moreso I couldn't believe that my service department didn't think to look there. It is such a simple fix. After I jacked it up and removed the tire I used minimal tools and a stick or silicone and done deal. If this solves it I'll be a pleased EVO owner again.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'm glad this helped some of you all. I am STILL fighting with the dealership to get a new carpet. The reason the leak isn't very obvious is that the water soaks into the wool backing of the firewall sound deadner padding, and the wool backing of the floor carpet. Once that all gets wet enough(after multiple car washings/rain) it starts to pool up. I have been to Don Williamson in Jax. and Wilmington NC. Both told me to claim the damage on insurance as flood damage!! haha I almost passed out laughing at them. I am actually going tomorrow morning with my gutted evo, and moldy nasty smelly carpet in a trash bag to show them that it is INDEED a Mftr. defect. They keep telling me that it may not be!! Hint: the car is only 3 months old! They keep saying they will just steam clean it, and replace the wool on the back. (the wool on the back no longer exists, it has been so wet, so many different times it just fell off. I'm gonna pull some bs and say that I have allergies to wool. Whatever it takes to score a new carpet. At least each of us can use eachothers experience to tell/show the dealer to prove its a mftr. f-up.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 04:54 PM
Bro

No problem man, I'm just glad psquared posted it or I'd never know either.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Let me know if either of you have success with scoring a new carpet. Not a steam cleaned one. :=)
Old Dec 3, 2006, 05:03 PM
Bro

I'm glad this helped some of you all. I am STILL fighting with the dealership to get a new carpet. The reason the leak isn't very obvious is that the water soaks into the wool backing of the firewall sound deadner padding, and the wool backing of the floor carpet. Once that all gets wet enough(after multiple car washings/rain) it starts to pool up. I have been to Don Williamson in Jax. and Wilmington NC. Both told me to claim the damage on insurance as flood damage!! haha I almost passed out laughing at them. I am actually going tomorrow morning with my gutted evo, and moldy nasty smelly carpet in a trash bag to show them that it is INDEED a Mftr. defect. They keep telling me that it may not be!! Hint: the car is only 3 months old! They keep saying they will just steam clean it, and replace the wool on the back. (the wool on the back no longer exists, it has been so wet, so many different times it just fell off. I'm gonna pull some bs and say that I have allergies to wool. Whatever it takes to score a new carpet. At least each of us can use eachothers experience to tell/show the dealer to prove its a mftr. f-up.
There should be no BS invovled. Your dealers should replace no questions asked, it was mitsu's screw up. I don't see how they can even argue it ? It was a manufacturing screw up.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I thought that too. They claim they have to have a "leak guy" look at the car to find the leak (even tho I did already) then that guy tells a Mistu. Warranty rep about the leak, and then the Rep makes the decision to replace the carpet or not. The dealership said he looked up my VIN and said the gauges were installed "from the factory" but I don't know the truth to that. The vac/boost hose is lazily zip tied to the a/c lines under the hood over to the manifold. Not quite "factory" quality if you ask me. I'll be talking to the Gen. Mgr tomorrow for sure. I can already tell the Serv. Mgr is a tool bag, so i'm going with my game face on!
Old Dec 3, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

you guys should file a class action law suit

Quick Reply: My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!