Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can try the guys up at Leith Raleigh. You probly won't have much more luck but who knows. The rep is the same for most of the dealerships around here. At least you don't live in Fayetteville. The jackasses here just point and laugh at you for even buying an Evo, much less do any work on them.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Well, they sealed the leak with Silicone sealant. They are going to pull the wool backing off the carpet, steam clean the carpet and replace the wool with new stuff. It seems easier to just order a new carpet, but i'm so sick of dealing with this issue I just want it over with. It has been dragging of for 2 months now.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Any luck with getting the carpet replaced? I just found this issue in my MR as well. Gonna pull the fender well tomorrow and check it out. My guess is that i'm having the same issue as it's wet in the same place..

Suppose it's time to gut the interrior in prep for the race track... hmmm
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any west coasters having this issue???? I just got my car and I'd rather take a look and seal it before this happens to me....
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:01 PM

I just experienced this problem today. My 2006 MR looks and smells like a lake on the passenger side only. The windows and seats are dry but the carpet is ruined. I guess we'll soon see how City Mitsubishi of Jacksonville handles this.

Has anyone actually had a good response (taken care of completely) from the dealer?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

I pulled my fender liner last night and discovered that there was about a 1" gap in the gasket. It was definitely where the water was coming in..

I ended up pulling the carpet out and gutting the interior. Lucky for me it is a track car and not my daily driver..

The wool underneath the carpet was ruined. it was basically falling apart. I think the carpet is in good condition so you can just re-back it with new wool. Although, really, this shouldn't be our concern..

I would suggest anyone that has an MR to check this gasket out..

Oh, and I live in philly, but i bought my car in Miami so it definitely came through jacksonville...
Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That happend to me too when they installed the music they didn't put back the rubber that covers the hole where they ran the wires through. When it rained i had 2'' of water also.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

I live in NY and have been through all sorts of water and such and have had no issues...guess I had a Monday car
Old Jan 6, 2007, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

WOW!! I can't believe all the issues. Well, for those that don't have water intrusion YET, take it from the rest of us....5 minutes to check will save your carpet and a lot of hassle with the lousy mitsu dealerships. I ended up replacing the wool on my own carpet, all the dealer did was steam clean the carpet.....but you know....no dealer is gonna admit it's a mftr. defect even though there's atleast a dozen of us with the same damn issue. I'm gonna draft up a letter to Mitsu addressing this problem. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but how would water from rain enter that grommet? From what I can tell, it's underneath the wheel arch by the firewall. If the car is stationary, I can't see how water could enter that? Now if the vehicle was moving while it was raining, or if you were driving quickly over puddles, then I can understand water getting kicked up by the tire.

Either way, I'm going to have to check that out. I noticed my steering shaft above my foot pedals is rusting. Are there any obvious leak points on the driver's side?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Why don't you try a tampon to fix that leak, lol!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
I had a similar problem with my MR, FYI it’s a 05. After constantly refilling the washer tank I realized it was leaking into the cabin. I found a bur from a weld that punctured the hose, it sucked but I filled the bur down, sealed the hose and called it a day. I try to avoid the dealer at all costs.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm...so then those rubber grommets on the wheel well should be lined with silicone huh?

That gets me worried because pulled out the stock vacuum line from that particular grommet, and I just shoved a bunch of wiring and a vacuum hose into my firewall hole behind the passenger side strut for my gauges and a boost controller. Wonder if I should seal that one too. Has anyone had any leaking issues from the passenger side firewall grommet? The one up high and in the far corner behind the strut tower?

I guess I'll be taking off the wheel well fender and siliconing some stuff. Although I do find it odd that [I]that much[I] water got in your car that fast from something pretty much under the car and out of the way. Unless water ran down the firewall and hugged the curve of the metal and just went in that way. Couldn't have come from the tire kicking up water because of the fender well. Sucks man. I'd be raising hell and probably would've gotten an attorney already if they didn't give me a new car. That's B.S.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

How does it get to this point? I mean I'm glad you and your father isolated the cause of the leak but why not drive the car directly to the dealer the VERY DAY you first had that 2" of standing water inside the car. Throw them the keys and say my $35k car looks like a f-ing canoe. Call me when it's fixed. By gutting the interior on your own it gives the impression that you're the type of person that's prepared to just sorta suck it up and handle everything on their own. It doesn't surprise me that they've dragged this on.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:24 AM
Account Disabled

my 03 evo8 leaks bad too...i live in IL

Quick Reply: My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!