Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
will be checking this weekend
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steiner
How does it get to this point? I mean I'm glad you and your father isolated the cause of the leak but why not drive the car directly to the dealer the VERY DAY you first had that 2" of standing water inside the car. Throw them the keys and say my $35k car looks like a f-ing canoe. Call me when it's fixed. By gutting the interior on your own it gives the impression that you're the type of person that's prepared to just sorta suck it up and handle everything on their own. It doesn't surprise me that they've dragged this on.
Because Mitsubishi "techs" are absolutely worthless. I did the EXACT same thing when I found it on mine...I do not trust them to move my car into their garage, let alone scrape the **** out of every single interior piece that needs removed to get under the carpet.

Mitsubishi is so worthless that even with the carpet removed for them to find the problem, the best answer they could give me was that water was magically coming UP through the grommet where the rear O2 sensor runs to the cat under the passenger seat. WHAT?!? If that were the case and water was able to come in through that grommet, exactly HOW THE HELL does that same grommet hold an inch of water IN?

Luckily Psquared's parents are my neighbor and I was aware of his problems and how to fix it. I had already removed the boost line and the gauges, and put a thick coat of silicone on to seal it up, but I still took it to Mitsubishi to have it looked at, and as you see from what they told me, he did the right thing and found the problem himself. I've had the carpet out since then to watch for any more water and not a drop, so the grommet was definately the problem.

Kudos to ANYONE who is able to get Mitsu to replace the carpet even if they find the problem because the carpet is $550 + tax from the dealer, but it's not even necessary...the carpet is rubber-backed and easily cleaned. Rip out any wet wool because it will just stink and grow mold. Replace the wool with some better quality aftermarket padding or sound deadening material and it will be better anyway. I went with this...

http://www.perfectfit.com/product.as...9&l1=15269&l2=

I bought enough to cover more area than the wool did, so it will help with sound and heat.

Good luck to those who have had the problem, but if you haven't - keep an eye on it.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My integra flooded once, but it was parked on the side of the road and there was a huge downpour that flooded the street and because it was so low, water was able to get in. Luckily all it did was soak the carpet and it dried out with a fan on it.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

So is this just a 9 MR thing? Has anyone with a 8 MR had any issues.
I was under the impression that the gauge install was done at the factory as well. I am coming up on 2 yrs/9500 miles of owning my 8 MR with no issues other than a very slight rattle coming from somewhere back from the rear window area.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by josefmd
So is this just a 9 MR thing? Has anyone with a 8 MR had any issues.
I was under the impression that the gauge install was done at the factory as well. I am coming up on 2 yrs/9500 miles of owning my 8 MR with no issues other than a very slight rattle coming from somewhere back from the rear window area.
Third break light plastic cover.

I haven't had any leaks on my 06 MR yet... but my vortex generator nearly flew off when I left the dealer
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

it really shouldnt matter if anyone here experience the same problem...you should definitely take it back to the delearship and ask for a new one because you have one fu**ed up Evo.

we had a lot of rain here in the bay area last year, they said its a new record when their records showed that it never rained like last year in the past. my evo was outside the whole time.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=LoRo;4091155]Third break light plastic cover.

Thanks LoRo I will check that out! I also have to check the plastic molding on the rear windows. I fixed the front window were the plastic inserts on the molding were hitting the window causing rattles.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well, had this happen on my 06 MR. Dealership couldn't find a leak, but I'll bet my life its coming from this location. I'll be dropping my car off again Monday and tell them to fix the bloody thing. Good detective work.

Last edited by s2kguy; Mar 17, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

I think my MR has a small passenger side leak also. Washed the car twice, and on both times I've noticed droplets of water forming on my passenger side rubber mats. They don't seem to be coming from the gromet area though, rather they appear to be dripping from somewhere near or behind the HVAC unit. Any suggestions on where to look so I can seal the leak?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 03:58 PM

FYI, my friends 02 Jeep Wrangler had a water leak and due to this the car was automatically a lemon because a water leak does cause corrosion and rust within the car. There was no questions asked from Jeep Mftr. They simply refunded the full amount after 5 months of owning the car.
Now you guys got me worried w/my 9MR. I need to go take a look and will let you all know if I find any water inside my cabin.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 05:11 PM

Alright guys, just got back from removing the panels and peeling my carpet back and no water or moisture. But then again, my car is fairly new w/only 2500 miles on her and has never been drivin in the rain BUT has been to the car wash about 4-6 times if not a bit more. I will remove the fender panels tomorrow to see what kind of chop shop work these mother freekers have done. Will keep you guys posted.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'm installing the OEM MR Gauge Pack this weekend. I think maybe I should use the grommet inside the engine compartment (behind the front passenger side strut tower) instead, huh?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by s2kguy
Well, had this happen on my 06 MR. Dealership couldn't find a leak, but I'll bet my life its coming from this location. I'll be dropping my car off again Monday and tell them to fix the bloody thing. Good detective work.
Which dealership in NJ did you go to? Did they solve the problem? Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

For those who fixed the problem described in the thread, have there been any reoccurence?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXPilot
For those who fixed the problem described in the thread, have there been any reoccurence?
not for me.

Quick Reply: My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!