Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIXPilot
For those who fixed the problem described in the thread, have there been any reoccurence?
FYI, we just made it through that nasty Nor-Easter here in NY and I have to report absolutely no more leaks.

I monitored it closely.

I parked the car the night before the storm started in the Exact same position and spot that the leak had occurred in the past. I left the car in that spot for the duration of 2 whole days of the storm. I opened the car today, inspected the carpet and to my satisfaction absolutely no water, leak or otherwise.

Best of luck to all and be advised

Chef
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXPilot
Which dealership in NJ did you go to? Did they solve the problem? Thanks!
Sea Coast Mitsubishi in Ocean Township. Ya, after I pointed out it was the gromet they got it fixed. My car spent the noreaster outside and its still dry inside.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Not to bring a thread back from the dead or anything, lol, but I think I may be having the same problem.. I bought my 9 MR a year ago new, this weekend I was installing my Innovate LC-1 wideband and needed to get under the carpet to run my oxygen sensor wire and when i lifted the carpet up it was soaked! I pulled the carpet up on the drivers side and both drivers and passenger rear and they were dry. Only the front pass side was wet.. I have the backing dry, but this seems weird. I never drive the car in the rain or any bad weather so could it do this just from car washing and the holes poked in that gromet or does there need to be spray off the tires in rain present for this to happen? The backing on the firewall was wet also but only towards the kick panel. I just want to fix this so my LC-1 unit doesnt get ruined, but more importantly so I dont forget about it and rust starts developing. Help a brotha out!

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Also the capet never itself got wet at any time, but it seems as if it ran down the firewall and got under the carpet.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

My friends evo had the same puddle of water in the back seat and after bringing to the dealer they said its from a hole in the firewall that someone drilled when they put in the gauges.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
Im having a very hard time believing your car just developed some huge hole in it that allows that much rain in. Cars dont just develop holes in two months....
happens all the time in integras most of the time its the sun roof drain tubes or the ac comp good luck i dident read the hole thread but i hope you found it **** happens in alot of cars i see you have a mr to so no sun roof drain tubs for you
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

MR Gauges are most likely the source of the problem. Check the grommet in the firewall where the boost line comes through.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I would guess this prob is def from where they ran the guage wires through the firewall. This is a know problem that results in the passenger side right below the grommet leaking. There are quite a few MRs that I have heard about with this prob. The gauges are installed after the car comes into the country and many times they don't do a very good job. Fixing this should be coverred under warranty.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bwesley82
I would guess this prob is def from where they ran the guage wires through the firewall. This is a know problem that results in the passenger side right below the grommet leaking. There are quite a few MRs that I have heard about with this prob. The gauges are installed after the car comes into the country and many times they don't do a very good job. Fixing this should be coverred under warranty.
ya think?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 06:39 PM

check behind passenger side fender where the wires and vaccum hose for the sports meter kit enters the cab.mit cuts the gommet so the wires can pass through.it is sealed with some type of sealant,but i think thats shabby.
Old May 9, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I went through a touch free car wash and heard what sounded like water running inside the cab. Then I noticed water driping on my passanger side rubber floormat. It made a small puddle on top but wasn't enough water to spill over onto the carpet. I have a regular IX (not MR). Has anyone else had this happen? I've been through touch free car washes 20 to 30 times and never had a problem.
Old May 11, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Hey there all.....I started this thread.....yes. The MR gauges are run through a grommet...not through the firewall, but through the passenger side wheel well. there is a black rubber grommet that they run the wires/boost ref. hose through. They DON'T put any sealant back on it after punching a hole through it. As water runs off your windshield and down through the fender well, it hits the hose/wires and follows it right into your car.

If it happened to you...hit up the dealer. It's a pain in the a@@, but they offered to steam clean the carpet. Problem is, the wool backing on the carpet starts to smell like a wet dog after a while. I removed ALL the wool backing and replaced it.

Another thing to check is your wiring pack thats located in the psgr. foot well there. If that stuff got wet from the water coming in, it could short/corrode. I believe it's our ACD computer located there too.

Post up, I'm curious to see how other dealers handle this....printing this thread wouldn't hurt to show them that you aren't the only one it's happened to. Good luck!
Old May 11, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Check out page 3 post #44 of this thread for the pics of the grommet. It's located behind the black plastic wheel well lining of the passenger side!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:48 AM

I took mine in this AM to see if they can fix the problem, and find out what they are going to offer me to handle the carpets. Still under warranty. I will post back with what they come up with.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:18 AM

They fixed the leak and are cleaning my carpets. Not much else I could get them to do.
But atleast its fixed.

Quick Reply: My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!