Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

My MR leaks...BAD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RESURRECTED! Almost 2 years!

Just bought my MR two weeks ago. Has 25K miles on it, looks really clean. However, the car went through a touchless carwash and was leaking water inside the cabin. My whole driver's side floor was soaked.

Come to find out I traced the leak to the side kick panel where the Engine wire harness comes in from the driver's side fender. The grommet had a hole, I'm guessing the previous owner had some aftermarket wiring going through that grommet, and must have pulled out the wiring and put the stock stuff back on.

Anyways, I completely sealed it and performed a water test. Made sure no water was coming in from that grommet. With much success the grommet was not leaking water anymore.

Then this morning I decide to take the Evo to work, since it's nice a sunny. The back of my floor mat is damp, but the carpet isn't wet at all. I'm now investigating, and thinking where this dampness is coming from?

The grommet is sealed, and I haven't driven the car in rain or any wet road condition. The car is usually parked outside in a carport. It rained yesterday, but I didn't take her out.

I'm guessing the dampness is coming from the soaked wool stuffing underneath the carpet. So I removed the floor mat holder and there's slits where I can poke around to feel any sort of wetness. Low and behold the carpet has a rubber lining, that's why my carpet aint wet but the underside of my floor mat somewhat damp with moisture.

So I cut a two inch slit, and remove the wool stuffing from under the carpet. Some parts of the wool are still wet from I'm guessing when I had the leak. Hopefully that's the only issue. I take out the wet wool and leave the dry ones in.

I also found out that there are two grommets on the underside of the drivers side, but I felt around it from the inside and looked underneath the car and the grommet is still intact and show no signs of letting water in.

I'll let you guys know what comes of this little ordeal.