Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Preping my car for winter.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. I never would have considered mud flaps until now. The winter tires are going to be a bit of a ***** to purchase.

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
2) It is paramount that you are 100% in control of the boost, cold nights or even early mornings could trigger a huge amount of boost spike and you have no control over that unless you stabilize your boost via MBC or similar. Remember my words, it can cost you an engine
I guess it's time to instal my mbc.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out edgeracing.com, they have a nice set for hankook icebears for 104 a tire which is pretty reasonable, especially since they got a few good reviews on the site.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First winter with my evo as well, time to buy mudflaps! hooray!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by upstateEVO
This will be my 3rd winter with the evo. Some suggestions:

1. Snow tires are a must. I have a set of Dunlop Graspics, but next time I'm going to go with Dunlop sport M3's or something similar.
x2... M3's are the best snow tire I've had in terms of dry pavement performance. When I had them on my Saab I would spin a bit more when I was trying to get going on steep hills, but never failed to get up any hill on the first try and would never go back to anything else having felt other snow tires on dry pavement... Marshmellows describes it perfectly.

No problem... upon return from a 100 mile drive back up to NH in one of the blizzards we had 2 years ago...

Note me and my Saab in the background, I was parked next to the Solara covered in snow, I backed right out and parked in the back and then drove right out of that with no problem.

Last edited by TurboRush; Oct 18, 2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

1) tires http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx
2) try to do any maintenance now before it gets too cold, trying to do something that takes an hour or more in 10 degree weather is not fun
3) take corners the right way, meaning don't boost in the middle of the corner or your back end will try to say hi to the front end
4) http://www.teamoneil.com/school.safety.htm i'm thinking of doing this, the subaru guys say it's fun and it looks like a good time to me
5) ice racing, there are a few car clubs (bmwcca of boston is one) in nh/vt that go racing on lakes, i wanted to do it last year but the ice didn't get thick enough
6) when there's a good snow storm, call out from work and go have fun

http://www.msprotege.com/members/jre...w/100_0019.AVI
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDPowah
I guess it's time to instal my mbc.
me too, guess i can officially say good bye to the warranty
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

oh yea, and don't expect perfect paint after the winter is done. i have quite a few nicks in the paint on my front bumper and on the inside of the wheel wells from all of the wonderful sand they put on the roads. but remember, your bumper is plastic and your hood aluminum, so neither will rust
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jred321
me too, guess i can officially say good bye to the warranty
If you guys are stock there's nothing to worry about. The stock boost control will compensate for the colder air.

If you are running a MBC is when you have to be careful. A MBC set to 21psi at 80 deg might equal 24psi at 20 deg...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

i have a 3" tbe and a dynoflash reflash, i see over 21psi sometimes now, want to tone it down a little