Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

**thinking about getting a EVO IX**

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s2kguy
I think for the expense of going from an STI to an EVO IX you could put that money into your STI and be rediculously fast.
its gonna cost a lot more money to reach 300whp on stock turbo with the sti.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:37 PM

can i get tuned in L.A with an evo IX and still run good here in las vegas...any tuners you guys suggest?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

scot gray
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i didnt know that have both 280 cams.

+1 for scott gray
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

On 91 octane you won't make that much power on any turbo charged car. You don't need cams neither. Here is all you need.

TBE
MBC
Head Studs
Alky Kit
Custom tune on 91 and alky...

You should put down about 380awhp and 380awtq with that set up.

If you really want to you may want to pop on an intake (but the stock airbox will do just fine), and maybe another recirculating bov that can handle 27psi or so on alky... Hell if you get real fancy you may want to throw in the upper and lower intercooler piping and maybe an ebay intercooler. All of those will do the job but are not necessary.

BTW - I switched from a 05Sti to the IX. Not even a comparison between the two. You would need to spend a lot of $$ on the suspension components and turbo upgrade on an Sti to get the performance you'll get from the above mods on an Evo...

Last edited by 34Turbo; Nov 26, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 34Turbo
On 91 octane you won't make that much power on any turbo charged car. You don't need cams neither. Here is all you need.

TBE
MBC
Head Studs
Alky Kit
Custom tune on 91 and alky...

You should put down about 380awhp and 380awtq with that set up.

If you really want to you may want to pop on an intake (but the stock airbox will do just fine), and maybe another recirculating bov that can handle 27psi or so on alky... Hell if you get real fancy you may want to throw in the upper and lower intercooler piping and maybe an ebay intercooler. All of those will do the job but are not necessary.

BTW - I switched from a 05Sti to the IX. Not even a comparison between the two. You would need to spend a lot of $$ on the suspension components and turbo upgrade on an Sti to get the performance you'll get from the above mods on an Evo...
damn....380whp.....NICE!!! is that your set-up???is alky kit safe?

Last edited by 05 STI; Nov 26, 2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, I am not running alky yet. I put down 344/330 on just intake, mbc, tbe, and tune...

Is it safe? Thats the million dollar question. If you have a good tuner and a good alky kit like snow performance or smc you should be good to go.

BTW - Thats 380awhp, not 308. You can probably make 308 on just a mbc and a tune....
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 STI
its gonna cost a lot more money to reach 300whp on stock turbo with the sti.
It only takes exhaust, intake, and a custom tune on 91 octane to make 300WHP with an STI, and that is on a Mustang dyno. 315WHP on race gas, but that is pretty much the limit of the small VF39. All things aside though, the evo shines more because of its gearing and its larger turbo which allows for more than 300WHP. Plus in the quarter mile the STI driver has to shift into 5th before the end of the quarter. This is getting ready to change though because the gearing in the 07 STIs has been changed so that this last shift won't be happening till around 114 mph. The evo IX is definately better looking than the newer STI's by far.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pegasus
It only takes exhaust, intake, and a custom tune on 91 octane to make 300WHP with an STI, and that is on a Mustang dyno. 315WHP on race gas, but that is pretty much the limit of the small VF39. All things aside though, the evo shines more because of its gearing and its larger turbo which allows for more than 300WHP. Plus in the quarter mile the STI driver has to shift into 5th before the end of the quarter. This is getting ready to change though because the gearing in the 07 STIs has been changed so that this last shift won't be happening till around 114 mph. The evo IX is definately better looking than the newer STI's by far.
go to nasioc.com and tell them that, they will probably laugh.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:28 AM

^I have been considering an STI also but just dont like the looks versus the evo,and I even have an 06 2.5i but the dark color hides the front end
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 STI
go to nasioc.com and tell them that, they will probably laugh.
Thats your problem. You're on Nabisco and not on IWSTI. There are plenty of stock turbo STIs making 300whp. Put alky on there and you'll see 315WHP / 330 WTQ. I own an 04 STI. I have dyno charts to prove those numbers if that matters to you. You need to get a good tuner as well. That always helps, but if your limit is 300WHP then just stick with what you have. If you want more HP on a stock turbo car then get a IX. I'm hoping to get one soon.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:05 PM

Hey guys. Who ever's looking into the STi, I would say NO. Unless a lot has changed from the '04 to the current models.... I had an '04 and destroyed the car with a turbo-back, air intake, ported turbo, custom tune, fuel pump and upgraded inter-cooler. The car could not handle the upgrades and I was having stalling issues and back-fires. I now have a IX SE and I LOVE IT!!! I wish that I had the money that was dumped into my STi to now put into my EVO.

Bottom line, they are both fun cars. The EVO looks more mature and I think is a better all around car!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pegasus
Thats your problem. You're on Nabisco and not on IWSTI. There are plenty of stock turbo STIs making 300whp. Put alky on there and you'll see 315WHP / 330 WTQ. I own an 04 STI. I have dyno charts to prove those numbers if that matters to you. You need to get a good tuner as well. That always helps, but if your limit is 300WHP then just stick with what you have. If you want more HP on a stock turbo car then get a IX. I'm hoping to get one soon.
i beleive you...but i know you gonna need more than basic bolt-ons to reach 300whp on pump gas....i dont know...i love my STI A LOT, but a EVO 9 is lookin real good right now. so many evo 9 pull over 300 whp with basic bolt-ons... i dont know what to do. still deciding.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on IX
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:13 PM
Account Disabled

The 04 STI is known to be a very fussy car when you mod it, the ecu in that particular year does NOT like alterations. The 05 and up doesnt suffer from the problem, and the 07 STI's have a new ecu which people are figuring out. My friend and partner has an 05 STI, did relatively easy mods to reach 460whp on 93 with no meth (clutch slip called it a day, meth, twin plate and retune will easily exceed 500whp) and his car is just fine. I think he'll have spent under 4k to reach 500whp with a fmic and bolt on turbo/rails/injectors/walbro/tuning and clutch/flywheel.

Im personally at a point where Im trading in my 04 STI and the problems associated with how difficult it is to mod this year car. I thought about the STI Limited, but after driving the IX MR and several friends who have the VIII and IX Ive decided to get the IX MR. It handles better, and makes power easier. I want my daily driver to be fun and wanted to try something new so that was it. Bottom line, the STI WILL cost more to mod no matter what, and thats after spending 12g's on mine

This is comming from a long time subaru loyalist. Chances are if I had the 05 and up STI I would have never even considered it, but some things happen for a reason I guess. You have a good platform already, so its all about what you want the car for. Plan ahead financially (be ready for unexpected ish to break or go wrong) and youll be fine with either. Once I pick up the MR next week Ill post some initial impressions from a noobs first ever evo drive

Last edited by CVR Motorsports; Nov 27, 2006 at 11:18 PM.