Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude your honda SI had two tiny *** tires, its a huge difference when your launching a fwd car there is a ****ton more grip for the clutch to deal with when transferring the power.

If a couple thousand rpm clutch slip to you isn't abuse, replacing your clutch often should become regular maintenance. If your not pulling away slowly your pulling away in a "racey" manner, and your clutch will pay for it, or actually your wallet will.

Either launch it or drive it normally. As long as you launch it properly it might actually be less wear than doing your high RPM slips.

Scorke
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by broeli
It depends on how you slip the clutch. Mine would rarely stink on a fast high rpm slip. I think the stock clutch is actually pretty good if it's broken in properly. I got 2+ years of racing and 25k miles out of mine. I had no problem with bogging on the stock clutch either. I just did a fast release at high rpm..6000 or so. The drag strip is particularly hard on the stock clutch and drivetrain parts due to the sticky surface. Mine was mostly used for autox and road course. The stock clutch definitely saves other parts though. When I went to the dragstrip on the stock clutch it did slip a little on takeoff. When I went back later in the year on my Exedy twin I destroyed my open front diff and carrier on my '03 (ripped all the teeth off my diff and ground up the inside of the carrier)
Evo's with lsd's need not worry about that so much.
Damn man...sorry to hear about your loss! I don't want to go too beefy with the clutch later on mainly because of what happened with you. I'm not one to rev high and drop the clutch either--that's reaaaaally hard on the on the diff and such--which you obviously know. Expensivo stuff.

I guess I'll have to live with the smell on occasion. I don't make a habit of it. I've slipped it twice in the past month of ownership. Stinkity stink both times with only a second or two of slip.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

To avoid the smell, too me atleast, it seems like if you need to haul *** because a car is coming fast (like blind corners) when turning into an intersection is best not to slip the clutch too much but to play catch up because once you hit boost you will make it. To me it's a lot easier in my 4runner just to stomp the gas and get the same results without looking like you are off to the races
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Dude your honda SI had two tiny *** tires, its a huge difference when your launching a fwd car there is a ****ton more grip for the clutch to deal with when transferring the power.

If a couple thousand rpm clutch slip to you isn't abuse, replacing your clutch often should become regular maintenance. If your not pulling away slowly your pulling away in a "racey" manner, and your clutch will pay for it, or actually your wallet will.

Either launch it or drive it normally. As long as you launch it properly it might actually be less wear than doing your high RPM slips.

Scorke
Well like I said before, In the years of ownership of other sportscars, FWD, RWD (never AWD before though) that stink has never occurred.

I would on consistant occasions take off with 3-4k launches-never once did a clutch go out, and never once did I ever have it stink up a garage. It seems that I may need to adjust how I launch, or just not launch at all in this car if I don't want the thing to stink for a week afterwards.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IXToes
To avoid the smell, too me atleast, it seems like if you need to haul *** because a car is coming fast (like blind corners) when turning into an intersection is best not to slip the clutch too much but to play catch up because once you hit boost you will make it. To me it's a lot easier in my 4runner just to stomp the gas and get the same results without looking like you are off to the races
That's a good point. I'm so used to having to do 3k launches for instant take offs, but apparently I may not need to with this car. It seems I have some techniques to adjust now with this car. I used to auto-x the honda, and the rx7 years ago. I never thought 4wd would be all that different on take off. I've always had sticky tires, always road raced in the same fashion, dealing with oversteer and understeer a bit differently because of the FWD or RWD. This car is on rails for the most part. I had a 4 wheel slide once (no slipping) but I think that was moreso due to a little gravel that may have been present. Feathered a bit and pulled through it nicely.

It's a great car guys and I don't want anyone thinking I'm saying otherwise...I just wish the clutch didn't stink like rotten eggs everytime I do something even remotely aggressive with it.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

u didnt have to slip, and basically go fast to merge. u thought u did cause u have the 'power' to but just take ur time and itll last.. .longer.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Do yourself a favor, and change out your clutch today to a Exedy twin HD cerametallic clutch!!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

It's the clutch restrictor that's causing the excessive burning of your clutch whenever you try to launch. The restrictor slows down clutch engagement. It was placed there by Mitsu to prevent people from destroying their drivetrains with high rpm clutch drops.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
It's the clutch restrictor that's causing the excessive burning of your clutch whenever you try to launch. The restrictor slows down clutch engagement. It was placed there by Mitsu to prevent people from destroying their drivetrains with high rpm clutch drops.
That's new information. Thank you!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
+1. Take it out and you might like it.

also these cars are 2.0 and have lag... takes awhile to get off the line...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Do a search for posts I've written about the clutch restrictor. I've probably written like 20 posts about it. Removing it was one of the best things I've done to my evo. I've done about 35 drag passes and 13 track days on my evo and my stock clutch is still fine.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

The restrictor is there for a reason, to prevent shock to the Drivetrain. Removing it is a big chance your taking on ur drivetrain in the long run.

Mr2006evo, you don't seem to understand...on a FWD and RWD the clutch takes less slipping to get the wheels moving.

now on an AWD car all 4 wheels have to get going...so it will slip more.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

You definitely have to train your left foot if you're going to remove the restrictor. The main purpose of the restrictor is to slow clutch engagement. You can do the same thing w/ your left leg.

This mod is not for everyone. Some people have more willpower than others. I was driving (and launching) AWD DSMs for 6 years before getting my EVO 3 years ago. I've never broken a drivetrain part. I pulled the clutch restrictor off my 2g as well.

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
I wonder if anyone actually reads more than the title of a thread before replying to it. Even then I wonder if people actually comprehend what they're reading. I'm not talking about the life of the clutch. It still engages, disengages, and doesn't slip (yet). I'm talking about it's tendency to create that wonderful aroma that we all know so well upon any aggressive act whether minute or pronounced.

But I'll make it easy...here are the independent clauses of the thread:

1. Will slipping the clutch (even a little) ALWAYS create the "stink"?

2. What is the common replacement for the clutch?

Thanks again...
1. Yes, everytime you slip the clutch it is going to stink. Thats the same for any other clutch in any other car. It is more pronounced in the Evo s because of the fact that it puts alot of strain on the clutch to turn the 4 'sticky' tires. Try getting of the clutch a little bit more quickly, without slipping it, and see what happens.

2. Your best bet would be on an ACT, Exeddy single or twin disc

Hope i answered your question
Evolved Member

Maybe the stock clutch is disappointed with you for JdM MaD TYtE VTEcKinG it all the time?

Quick Reply: Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch