Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't slip the clutch. Select another gear, instead.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
The restrictor is there for a reason, to prevent shock to the Drivetrain. Removing it is a big chance your taking on ur drivetrain in the long run.

Mr2006evo, you don't seem to understand...on a FWD and RWD the clutch takes less slipping to get the wheels moving.

now on an AWD car all 4 wheels have to get going...so it will slip more.
That last sentence made no sense at all. It doesn't slip--you as the driver are the one that uses the "slip" technique on the clutch.

Apparently--the AWD vehicle requires a quicker release of the clutch, if I am understanding things correctly from what others have said. So apparently I'm perhaps slipping the clutch a bit too long. The other thing though, is I'm not revving as high as others...which is one of the reasons why I get concerned that the clutch raises such a stink with a minor application of increased power to it.

And to answer someone else's question--the car was semi new--it had 2700 miles on it, but was never titled. So I got 3k off the price because of that. I have no idea how the other guy broke anything in. I know he glazed the brakes though...so I doubt he broke in anything else correctly.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talonmotosports

1. Yes, everytime you slip the clutch it is going to stink. Thats the same for any other clutch in any other car. It is more pronounced in the Evo s because of the fact that it puts alot of strain on the clutch to turn the 4 'sticky' tires. Try getting of the clutch a little bit more quickly, without slipping it, and see what happens.

2. Your best bet would be on an ACT, Exeddy single or twin disc

Hope i answered your question
Thanks for the clear and concise response. You're one of the few so far that have actually answered the questions that were originally asked. This thread had nothing to do with the clutch longevity. However---I've never smelt this in any car. So your statement brings me to a question for you: Have you ever smelt the clutch burn on another car? Because I've never gotten one to do it...

Thanks for the advice---I'll try that. I saw the ACT clutches...I'll be going between that, Exedy, and CC probably.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with the clutch.

Many people have a lot of miles, lot of power and lot of launches on the stock clutch.

If it stinks when you launch, Learn how to drive.

Sorry, thats all there is to it.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
It's the clutch restrictor that's causing the excessive burning of your clutch whenever you try to launch. The restrictor slows down clutch engagement. It was placed there by Mitsu to prevent people from destroying their drivetrains with high rpm clutch drops.

This guy is super smart, But I like the restrictor. let me explain.

I took out the restrictor out of the VIII. Also did SS clutch line. When I went to launch, I would worry that I would drop the clutch too fast and destroy some drivetrain parts, and in turn, always dropped the clutch too slow, therefore burning the clutch and pullin ****ty 60' times.

With my IX, I left the restrictor in. Now when I launch the car, I just drop it, and let the restrictor do the work. What I get is safe drivetrain parts, no clutch burn, and more consistant, bettter 60' times.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Jan 5, 2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

I have to agree the stock clutch stinks (literally, even with the clutch restrictor removed)). Overall however the drivetrain is infinitely better than any Mitsu/DSM product that preceded it, so complaining about the stock clutch not being able to handle 400 brake horsepower is a bit of a quibble. Just get an aftermarket clutch and be happy!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

it sinks if you slip it too long
get your foot off the clutch quicker
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:14 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Talonmotosports

1. Yes, everytime you slip the clutch it is going to stink. Thats the same for any other clutch in any other car. It is more pronounced in the Evo s because of the fact that it puts alot of strain on the clutch to turn the 4 'sticky' tires.
I have to disagree. I do somewhat regular 3K clutch slips and have yet to smell Eau de Clutch. When I had a RS, I slipped at 3K fairly often and never smelled the clutch, either. I can't claim to be a talented drag racer, as I've never ran in a straight line in my life, so I don't think that an advanced technique is to thank. I do like to think that I have a good feel for the machine.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

I second the motion of removing the restrictor pill for the stock clutch or ANY clutch. I would also go a step further and replace the rubber clutch line with a stainless steel line.

Once those two mods were done on my car the clutch engages at the same point every time. The only slipping that is done is caused by the driver -- not the parts in the line.

There is a how-to in the forums here -- check it out You won't be disappointed!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
I wonder if anyone actually reads more than the title of a thread before replying to it. Even then I wonder if people actually comprehend what they're reading. I'm not talking about the life of the clutch. It still engages, disengages, and doesn't slip (yet). I'm talking about it's tendency to create that wonderful aroma that we all know so well upon any aggressive act whether minute or pronounced.

But I'll make it easy...here are the independent clauses of the thread:

1. Will slipping the clutch (even a little) ALWAYS create the "stink"?

2. What is the common replacement for the clutch?

Thanks again...
1. Slipping a clutch will always give you a smell of sorts....racing clutches won't slip as much and thus won't stink as much....but if you burn a clutch it will STINK....

I think you are slipping too much thus causing premature wear and smell....

2. This has been covered a million times....search...ACT and Exedy are common and inexpensive options that work for most street cars. Talk to your mechanic about your specific goals or search....
Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the stock clutch is nothing special, but if you take care of her she will last you. Mine has well over 40+ drag racing launches on it and 20,000 miles and she is just fine. Holding up very well, better than I expected actually. Now my tires and brakes are a different story. Got to replace the brakes and tires next week, and I wanted Cams next week .

Also how do people DD their EVOs? I've been driving manual transmission and AWD vehicles the past 10 years, maybe I just know how to save my clutch.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

For as much complaining as ppl do I don't feel our cluck sucks that much IMO...it lasts if it's not beaten and abused just like any other car
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Look in to Road//Racing Engineering Clutch. Same spec. as the ACT, but with no yellow paint. For street use, this one seems to be a good choice and looks like stock (warrenty work???).
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

better the clutch than the tc case. it just part of it you have and awd car so more stress is on the clutch. if you have a fwd or rwd car you would spin the tires. just dont do it a lot or you will need a new clutch.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
With my IX, I left the restrictor in. Now when I launch the car, I just drop it, and let the restrictor do the work. What I get is safe drivetrain parts, no clutch burn, and more consistant, bettter 60' times.
This thought process makes sense. A question though, can you change to a SS line and keep the restrictor? I would assume that the line would give you more predictable release, but the restrictor would still keep the drivetrain safe. that sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

Back on topic, I agree that the Evo clutch stinks WAY more than any other clutch I've experienced. I don't have much experience with AWD cars, but no RWD or FWD cars I've driven have smelled that badly on any launch.

I've only launched my Evo hard 2 times. The first time I slipped a bit much and was using the 5k stationary limiter. The clutch was not happy and smelled horrible. The second time was again using the 5k limiter, but I released the clutch much faster and got much more grip from the clutch (I got a few chirps from the tires). I slipped it for maybe .5 sec at the longest, but still got the horrible smell. Actually, the next day I could still smell the clutch.

Any other car would smell, but not that badly for that long. Maybe it is the restrictor making the clutch actually slip much more than your foot tells you that it is.

Quick Reply: Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch