Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had no problem with my stock IX clutch up to about 315whp. These days though Im pushing closer to 370whp and the stock clutch, while still working, is really beyond its tolerances. If I do any sort of launch it will slip on its own and it will stink. If I try to do back to back launches, the second one will nearly nuke the clutch. Its still completely fine for daily driving though... even hard driving.

Now I have a brand new Exedy HD Twin kit sitting in my garage ready to go in though. And then I will be all set.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Yep. Thats also what I did. Then did the restrictor removal. The restrictor removal did more in terms of engagment consistancy.

I like your idea about drillin the restrictor. And the fact that the idea came strait from ACT, I would love to hear/see someone try it.

So Mark, you ready for the '07 season? I need to get out to TH a lot more, expeccialy since I live only 25 mins away. It would be nice to get out there and meet all you NorCalEvo.net guys.
I guess if someone had a super grabby clutch and does a lot of launching and drag racing, a drilled out restrictor would probably be a good idea. But again, a trained left foot can do everything a restrictor can and doesn't have any limitations.

Yeah, my '07 season officially starts on monday when I hit up Laguna Seca. This will be my first time driving Laguna, so it should be fun! I'm not sure when I'm going to hit up T-hill again tho..
Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, kid, whats your problem?? You have thread and questions, I answer them, you get bitter with me???

Its NOT common knowledge that the clutch has faults. Its common knowledge that a lot of ex-FWD and RWD guys buy EVOs, dont know how to launch an AWD car, burn up the clutch, makes thread trying to say it has problems when it doesnt.

If you havent learned yet, an AWD car is VERY DIFFERANT then a FWD/RWD when it comes to launching.

Also, with other people posting they have more then stock power and lots of launches and miles on the stock clutches, doesnt that show you the ones with problems can't drive.?

Another thing. I'm not trying to "talk tough" or anything behind a keyboard. You should stop thinkin I'm some kid with no knowledge, cause thats far from the truth. Im just trying to help you with your questions.
Wow...you can dish out the condescending tone but you sure don't take it very well do you? Now you understand why I said what I said. Next time you want to be helpful--try doing it without the superiority complex. This:

Theres nothing wrong with the clutch.

Many people have a lot of miles, lot of power and lot of launches on the stock clutch.

If it stinks when you launch, Learn how to drive.

Sorry, thats all there is to it.
...is not helpful. It's you basically stating that you are a better driver than myself and probably whoever else you come across. Perhaps if you elaborate with your technique (which on your behalf you discussed some other things later on with others that was actually constructive) you wouldn't have gotten the response you did from me. Here's a lesson for you: it's not what you say but how you say it..."kid". So far from what I can see, you are some guy who talks tough from behind a keyboard and can't take his own medicine. Sorry---but that's just the way it is.

That's the end of my interaction with you. Thanks for your "help".
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MRevo2006
Wow...you can dish out the condescending tone but you sure don't take it very well do you? Now you understand why I said what I said. Next time you want to be helpful--try doing it without the superiority complex. This:

...is not helpful. It's you basically stating that you are a better driver than myself and probably whoever else you come across. Perhaps if you elaborate with your technique (which on your behalf you discussed some other things later on with others that was actually constructive) you wouldn't have gotten the response you did from me. Here's a lesson for you: it's not what you say but how you say it..."kid". So far from what I can see, you are some guy who talks tough from behind a keyboard and can't take his own medicine. Sorry---but that's just the way it is.

That's the end of my interaction with you. Thanks for your "help".
LOL, I cant take it?? I dont care, talk as much **** as you like. Its the internet. Stop tellin me "I'm trying to be hard on the net or whatever", I'm not trying to be hard, Im just trying to help a fellow EVO owner. Sorry bout my tone. My friends will tell you I may sound like dick sometimes, but I'm really a nice, helpful dick.

I wasnt trying to say I was better driver then you or anyone. I was just trying to say polish your skill before you blame the clutch and/or car. Its just like the kids that get mad cuz they run a 14.x in the 1/4, and they talk **** bout the car, when it is just their skills that are lacking, not the car.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock clutch is very very capable if it was broken in properly. I was very shocked at how much it could take. It does, however, reach a limit when you start getting past 330-340whp IMHO.