Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch

It's common knowledge amongst the veteran owners that the clutch in this car leaves much to be desired.

From what I understand the clutch was intended in the car's design to be the weak point in the drivetrain so as to minimize damage to the other parts of the drivetrain. I can understand this but....

::beginning of rant::

Does the clutch have to stink like **** EVERYTIME I slip the clutch with rpms higher than 3k?! The first time I "burnt" the clutch plates a couple weeks ago when I slipped it while taking off going around a corner to avoid a car hauling but towards me. This was not intended but hey it happens.

Today on the way to work I had to merge into traffic from a standstill within a short amount of space. So I rev up a bit and slip the clutch. Again I smell the wonderful smell of rotten eggs. I have NEVER owned a car in all my years of driving standard that burnt up this easily (or at all for that matter.) I have never killed a clutch ever in my life nor have I ever scrubbed a clutch to the point it stunk. Is there EVER a time that I'll spin the wheels a bit and NOT get that ****-*** smell?!

::End of rant::

Looks like I'll be getting a stage 2 clutch here soon. Anyone have any brand suggestions? Exedy? Competition Clutch? Whats the concensus on the best performing (with the least amount of complications) clutch?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock clutch design. It was designed for a car with such power and torque, the issue here is that 90% of the people launch the car or drive hard but if you spoil the clutch it should last just like any other regular car. I know a few people with 45k plus clutch miles on stocker clutch.

When you mentioned that you burnt your clutch launching it I always say compare out drivetrain with a Honda civic FWD. We are making all 4 wheels of sticky 235 Yokohama Advan spin even though they grab like a sticky gum in the sun, on the other hand a fwd Honda civic will cause lesser wear on the clutch to to much lesser friction...

Just my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jan 4, 2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock clutch design. It was design for a car with such power and torque, the issue here is that 90% of the people launch the car or drive hard but if you spoil the clutch it should last just like any other regular car. I know a few people with 45k plus clutch miles on stocker clutch.

Just my .2c

Carlos
Heya Carlos,

Yea--I know the clutch was designed for this car--and I'm not complaining about the lifespan since I haven't killed it. But the clutch (which was built by Exedy BTW) was designed to Mitsubishi's spec requests--their goal was to make sure the clutch went out BEFORE anything else in the drivetrain did when higher performance driving was implemented. So I know this will happen at some point in the future. This is all fine and good and I've accepted this. The point of my rant section was to ask if there is ever a time where I can slip the clutch for a more aggressive start (and I'm talking maybe a slight wheel spin if any at all) where the clutch WONT stink like ****?

The remaining part of the post was to see what clutches most people are using as a replacement (I.E. exedy, CC, ACT, etc...) (I know I can do a search on this...which I will also be doing...but feel free to answer anyway).
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You simply cannot say the clutch is disappointing.... do NOT "slip" the clutch a lot, it causes premature failure.

I JUST changed my stock clutch on December 23rd.....i got 49,990 miles out of my ORIGINAL factory installed stock clutch. After looking at the plates when the stocker was removed i could have gotten about 5k more miles outta it, but it was slipping at high RPMs. Dont think i was easy on the stocker, i launched it multiple times, went to the track, did autoXing, and played around a lot on the freeway....50k miles worth of abuse at 350whp.
I put in an Exedy twin HD cerametallic clutch. along with flywheel, TOB, SS clutchline, and new fluids.

Dont blame the clutch or the design, i am not saying you are a bad driver just some people arent used to the engagement point along with the "J" type clutch pedal motion. A frriend of mine got 7,000 miles out of his stocker, with 320whp.....i got 50,000 miles out of mine
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder if anyone actually reads more than the title of a thread before replying to it. Even then I wonder if people actually comprehend what they're reading. I'm not talking about the life of the clutch. It still engages, disengages, and doesn't slip (yet). I'm talking about it's tendency to create that wonderful aroma that we all know so well upon any aggressive act whether minute or pronounced.

But I'll make it easy...here are the independent clauses of the thread:

1. Will slipping the clutch (even a little) ALWAYS create the "stink"?

2. What is the common replacement for the clutch?

Thanks again...

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Jan 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

I had to change my clutch at 16,000 miles. This was my first awd car and i was abusing the heck out of it.Now that i have my new clutch and flywheel i decided never to launch it.But yeah i do think this clutch is weak.I also agree on the fact that the life span of the clutch will depend on the driver.So if you want your clutch to last DO NOT slip it. If you launch it and feel your clutch slipping just let off of the gas
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRevo2006
Heya Carlos,

Yea--I know the clutch was designed for this car--and I'm not complaining about the lifespan since I haven't killed it. But the clutch (which was built by Exedy BTW) was designed to Mitsubishi's spec requests--their goal was to make sure the clutch went out BEFORE anything else in the drivetrain did when higher performance driving was implemented. So I know this will happen at some point in the future. This is all fine and good and I've accepted this. The point of my rant section was to ask if there is ever a time where I can slip the clutch for a more aggressive start (and I'm talking maybe a slight wheel spin if any at all) where the clutch WONT stink like ****?

The remaining part of the post was to see what clutches most people are using as a replacement (I.E. exedy, CC, ACT, etc...) (I know I can do a search on this...which I will also be doing...but feel free to answer anyway).
It took me about 2 minutes to fully figure out your issue. I looked at your membership and I see that you joined in December.
You are experiencing the most frustrating part of the car, the launching. This car bone stock sucks for launching. I haven't heard anyone not complaining about the way the car boggs down when the car is new.

Now it makes all sense, you just happen to have a brand new Evo with no mods and the car is acting like $hit. There is no mistery, I am the first one to admit the stock Evos with no mods suck when trying to launch. You are definately experiencing that.

I am sure many people would agree with me.

Carlos
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder if anyone actually reads more than the title of a thread before replying to it. Even then I wonder if people actually comprehend what they're reading. I'm not talking about the life of the clutch. It still engages, disengages, and doesn't slip (yet). I'm talking about it's tendency to create that wonderful aroma that we all know so well upon any aggressive act whether minute or pronounced.

1. Will slipping the clutch ALWAYS create the "stink"?

Thanks again...
1.From my experience, yes every time you slipp the clutch it will stink..
2.??????
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

yes it will stink and i would go with exedy twin hd
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

It took me about 2 minutes to fully figure out your issue. I looked at your membership and I see that you joined in December.
You are experiencing the most frustrating part of the car, the launching. This car bone stock sucks for launching. I haven't heard anyone not complaining about the way the car boggs down when the car is new.

Now it makes all sense, you just happen to have a brand new Evo with no mods and the car is acting like $hit. There is no mistery, I am the first one to admit the stock Evos with no mods suck when trying to launch. You are definately experiencing that.

I am sure many people would agree with me.

Carlos
Yea...that just about sums it up. Stock car to me doesn't suck...just the stinky part when taking off aggessively. I only do it once in a great while (in any car I've owned, so it's not/won't be commonplace, but I've never owned a car that created the smell every single time. I'll be modding soon--thanks for the elaboration.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

1. no the smell is prone to every clutch that is slighty to moderatly abused
2. Excedy or ACT would my choice of repalcment clutches

Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:11 PM

1. Will slipping the clutch (even a little) ALWAYS create the "stink"?

Thanks again...
I think both these quotes from the first 4 posts make a fair attempt to address your independent clauses:

In regards to creating a stink:

When you mentioned that you burnt your clutch launching it I always say compare out drivetrain with a Honda civic FWD. We are making all 4 wheels of sticky 235 Yokohama Advan spin even though they grab like a sticky gum in the sun, on the other hand a fwd Honda civic will cause lesser wear on the clutch to to much lesser friction...
In regards to a recommended replacement:

Originally Posted by RED DEMON
I put in an Exedy twin HD cerametallic clutch.
People are reading the entire thread - give them some credit.

I have not experienced any more odd smells from my MR than any other car I've owned. I'm still on the stock clutch but have driven Evos with the Exedy twin, the ACT and what I think was HKS GD. Each one behaved and felt quite differently. Recommendations are going to be based on personal preferences - see if you can't get someone in your area to let you try theirs out first.

Last edited by Skiploder; Jan 4, 2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbolover
1. no the smell is prone to every clutch that is slighty to moderatly abused
2. Excedy or ACT would my choice of repalcment clutches

1. Really? Because I've never smelt that before in the past 14 years of performance driving. I used to launch the 06 Honda SI in the same place--no smell, no slipping, no indication of premature wear (although I'm sure the life of that clutch was diminished with every launch--just an any clutch would be). My previous Ford--nothing there either. Before that I had a couple other sportscars, RX7's, 300z's...this is the only car I've experienced this with. And the term "abused" although appropriate in most cases, isn't necessarily the right word. I'm not drag racing the car everytime I take off, only when I need to be going faster--in a short period of time--once in a while. A couple thousand RPM clutch slip to me on occasion is not abuse. Busting the 5k launch at every take off is.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on how you slip the clutch. Mine would rarely stink on a fast high rpm slip. I think the stock clutch is actually pretty good if it's broken in properly. I got 2+ years of racing and 25k miles out of mine. I had no problem with bogging on the stock clutch either. I just did a fast release at high rpm..6000 or so. The drag strip is particularly hard on the stock clutch and drivetrain parts due to the sticky surface. Mine was mostly used for autox and road course. The stock clutch definitely saves other parts though. When I went to the dragstrip on the stock clutch it did slip a little on takeoff. When I went back later in the year on my Exedy twin I destroyed my open front diff and carrier on my '03 (ripped all the teeth off my diff and ground up the inside of the carrier)
Evo's with lsd's need not worry about that so much.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

1. Really? Because I've never smelt that before in the past 14 years of performance driving. I used to launch the 06 Honda SI in the same place--no smell, no slipping, no indication of premature wear (although I'm sure the life of that clutch was diminished with every launch--just an any clutch would be). My previous Ford--nothing there either. Before that I had a couple other sportscars, RX7's, 300z's...this is the only car I've experienced this with. And the term "abused" although appropriate in most cases, isn't necessarily the right word. I'm not drag racing the car everytime I take off, only when I need to be going faster--in a short period of time--once in a while. A couple thousand RPM clutch slip to me on occasion is not abuse. Busting the 5k launch at every take off is.
You are right, you shouldn't be smelling it. Did you buy it new? If so, how many miles were on it? I'm betting it was abused a little before it should've been.

Quick Reply: Severly dissappointed in the stock clutch