Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Racial Profiling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It happens, but there's really not much you can do. People think it's "pulling the race card", but unless you're minority, I don't think you can understand the extent of it.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happens to me in every sport compact I've owned, I'm 36yrs old, anglo, and generally have car seats in the back of my vehicle. Normally when I've been pulled over for no reason it's been at night time and they come up with something like you changed lanes without signaling, or some other bs reason that they dont write a ticket for. I dont think it's necessarily a race issue and agree with the others that your driving a car that to a police officer looks like a highly modifed sport compact so that's probably why your getting pulled over.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

i dont think it's a black thing they dont like jap cars.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

ok i kind of understand the whole race card... i live in nyc... and people get pulled over here all the time... like my friend complained about it... and he drives a sentra ser... but then again i got pulled over 4 times in the first month of having the car... once it was for going 5 miles over the speed limit on a highway... that's understandable... even though the guy next to me was flying... then i got pulled over for "unregistered vechicle" when i had temporary plates... he only pulled us over cause my friend lives by the area where they race... so cops thoguht we were going to watch some civic's race... (we weren't)... other 3 times was to check my registration... and jus yesterday i got pulled over... the guy was like so u went to VA to buy a car... i'm like yea... got a deal on it... then he was liek is that all u went to VA for i'm like yea?... i showed him my paper work he let me go... he was cool about it... by the way i'm european... so i got pulled over 5 times in a month... and it was ok...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

well if the a car has temp plates i could understand u getting pulled over.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

yea i know i'm not balming them... but my friend has a evo 8 and he got pulled over most of the time heading over to my house...all they did was run his plates and let him go... where i live if it's race nite and you car even looks like it's modded... they gonna pull you over to see if nything is stolen... bu most the time they're cool... 2 thumbs up for the cops... hehe...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:15 AM

I am black and live in New York. It has happened to me. I think its more import profiling than anything else and stay away from those Hondas because there is usually a cop behind
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

no i doubt it im not black they follow me all the time. searched my cars to many times and i have this one cop every time he see's me he pulls me over,i cant say it's the car cause when i had my m3 same thing just wasnt as loud.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

It doesnt suprise me. Cops are just like other people, they are not all bad, but there are always those jerks out there who seem like they are on some power trip.

Last edited by 8urv8; Jan 5, 2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

For those jumping on the "quit pulling the race card" bandwagon, slow your roll a minute and re-read the first post in the thread. For your convenience, I quoted it below. The parts in bold are the really important lines.

Originally Posted by SHADOWPHANTOM
I was wondering if any of my brethren have been pulled over or followed by the po-po just because of the fact you drive a sport compact and they make up a b.s. reason why they did it. I am saying this because this has happened to me on more than one occasion. In my case I believe it is because I am a black man. I can list every car and how many times I have been followed or pulled over.

1998 Eclipse-5 times
1994 300GT SL- 3 times
2000 Honda S2000-8 times
2006 EB IX- Just got it yesterday and today I was followed for 5 miles

Let me hear you if this has happened to you, let me know.
Personally, I have no real beef with the cops. I've never been able to really hold a grudge with anyone and I certainly don't condemn the whole of law enforcement for a few bad apples in the barrel. In fact, 2 of my brothers in law are cops, one in Chicago and one in South Carolina. If anything, I'm glad the cops are around because they'd be the first ones I call if something were to happen to my Evo.

I was simply relating my experience, as was asked in the initial post. Shadowphantom asked if anyone else had experienced what they believed to be racial profiling and if so, to tell their story. That is what I did, nothing more.

I'm not so naive to believe profiling doesn't exist. At the same time, I don't believe every time I get pulled over it's because I am black or because I drive a nice car either. Maybe the cop is bored and needs something to do. I once had a cop pull me over because he liked my car and we sat there on the side of the road talking for 20 minutes. What we have to remember in all this is cops are people just like us. They have good days and bad days; they get bored and sometimes they are mad at the world. Like it was said several times already, as long as you aren't riding dirty, you got nothing to worry about.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

it happened to me in Cali. (just bought the cara week ago when it happened)went to buy dinner at Pollo loco around 6:30pm w/ my kids at the back seat after i pulled out , i noticed that ive been followed after that lights went on so i stoped .when the popo aproach me. he look for everything and seach the car, and he told me that why i dont have my tag? told him that i just got the car a week ago and i have the temp registration sticked infront of my windshield. popo said i didn't saw it. then told me why he pulled me over , that my car look's like a stollen one..... and i told him do you think ill gonna steel a car w/ my kids w/ me ...then let me go for like allmost an hour.. then still they are following me till i got home ..............F@##@#@... and im asian.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Can we all agree on one thing?

Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

LMAO... funny pic evo2k6lee... haha... yea some just pull you over to talk... this one cop pulled up by me and was like want to race... i was like yea... NO... thne he was like so they go fast... i'm like yea... i just dont drive it fast... he was like ok cool... go ahead i just wanted to see one up close... i'm like ok later officer... and the first time i got pulled over... one of the cops yelled at the other cop for not knowing what kind of car it is... it was funny... he was like what kind of questions is that dumb ***... it's a mitsubishi evolution... mike you such a dumbass... i was laughin...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
i dont think it's a black thing they dont like jap cars.
Yeah, can't believe I got one of the japanaese mustangs... gets me pulled over all the time.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I got pulled over many times at late night from the movies, the reason they pull me over is because i drive below posted speed limit so they wanted to check if i m drunk... its annoying but its for our safety too! cant complain abt that!