Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Compilation Of Evo Problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03' GSR had about 20K miles on it when I got the P0300 misfire code. Had turbo back exhaust, intake, MBC, and reflash at the time. After a couple different options in spark plugs and gapping preference, I finally got rid of the issue. It's running like a champ these days.

Other than that, there's no real issues here. Bought it used with 10K miles on it over a year ago. Has 29K+ miles now and running strong. Love it everyday!

Then again, the Tarmac Black color is a biatch to maintain and always keep clean. Not an issue really, but I'd stay away if you're not always gonna be on it. It does look mean though.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Evo VIII:

Water pump failed 3 times
Freeze plug blew out 2 times
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03- Stock clutch replaced with Exedy Twin after too many launches. Replaced Passenger's side rear strut under warranty, replaced spoiler and front calipers due to paint pealing/clearcoat pealing under warranty. I think I need a new front passenger's side strut...will look at that this weekend
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

52,000 miles so far. Problems include, hmmmm, let's see. NOTHING!

Well I take that back. There are a few squeaks and rattles here and there. Mechanically, though, it's been absolutely trouble-free. I'm still on the stock clutch. However, I'm on my third set of tires and second set of brakes.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I think that the 4th gear issue is a heat problem. Those who track their MR's regularly have experienced the loss of 4th gear. It seems to be HP independent.

The real issue is that gears 4 through 6 aren't as beefy as 1 through 3 on the MR, or 4 and 5 on other Evos. I guess mitsu engineered them that way expecting less torque and thought they could get away with it.
Thank you.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
what is your experience with the evo do you have problems with it too? MR 6 speed 4th gear weak- at what? 500awhp? I think there is a section for these at the evo forum already.
Uh...isn't this the EVO forum?....
And 4th gear weak at 500awhp?....so i guess if you take the evo to 500awhp then your 4th gear will go because....Are we listening, NOOBS!
I think it's actually from tracking or autox when you have to keep it in the weak fourth gear for a good amount of time (from what I've read). And tracking and autox is something that most EVO owners will do or am I am wrong and you just drive it to buy groceries. And if you've actually searched this, you might find that it has been verified, hence some MR owners switching to 5spd.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
52,000 miles so far. Problems include, hmmmm, let's see. NOTHING!

Well I take that back. There are a few squeaks and rattles here and there. Mechanically, though, it's been absolutely trouble-free. I'm still on the stock clutch. However, I'm on my third set of tires and second set of brakes.

Not to be harsh or anything, but if you don't have a problem with your evo or you don't know of any, then don't post. Title says 'COMPILATION OF EVO PROBLEMS'. Thanks for the rattle inputs though. That is a PITA!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Simple solution..If you're going to race the crap out of it then buy the cheaper EVo..If you want something nice to mod for the occasionl race then the MR is the way to go..
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, any problem you can think of has happened to some Evo owner at some time. So for #1 just put "Everything." lol
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

-Grooved brake rotors at 3500miles under easy driving.
-Intermittant clunking from front end because gravel gets jammed in springs and grinds around
-Paint is wimpy, and does not take much to cause scratches
But those are small problems
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

1st gear on 5 speeds is weak, rear differential is weak, transfer case is weak, clutch blows if you launch the car too much thats about it
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboRush
5k, needed a new rear diff. Factory defect, replaced under warranty. Dealer said it was the 2nd one they had seen with the same defect.. factory defect doesn't really count as a problem to me..
I personally think that factory defect would be the BIGGEST problem to have.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

05 Evo-

Alternator went at 36k
Transfer case at 50k (not actually the cars fault, **** local shop)
Freeze plug popped out at around 6k
Water pump at ~45k
Clear coat on wing peeling

Hmm.. That is about it I believe
Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:17 PM

My Calipers where replaced(28000 miles) for peeling clearcoat, my drivers seat was replaced because of a weird wear mark(25000 miles) my thermostat gasket was leaking (3200 miles) and the rear driveshaft was replaced (8000 miles).

All in all I've been very happy with it. The dealer has been great (4 New Brembo calipers!), the car has never let me down.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

I read a lot of peoples warranties are faulty

Quick Reply: Compilation Of Evo Problems