Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

What set of rims and wheels is the best for drag racing???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What set of rims and wheels is the best for drag racing???

???????
I dont wanna run my 18's! duh!!!! Im looking for the lightest and stickiest wheels matching...
pls give me the exact size?
brand?
price?
where to buy?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is Evo General - there is a drag racing forum down below.

There is no set of wheels and tires that is best for drag racing. It depends on your power level, the surface, your launch style, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

can lose with 22's
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
can lose with 22's
Word, but 24's are soo gangsta!!

If your on the stock rotors, I've heard that SSR comps/type-c's in 16in might fit. Do some research on that before you get them though..

Otherwise your stuck with 17's, and you should have lots of options, just depends on your budget.

Check the "Drag Racing" section, look to see what people are running. Or, call a shop and ask them to put together a 17in drag wheel/tire combo for you, if your lazy.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:11 AM
TVA
Evolving Member

You might have a hard time winning ANY drag races running rims AND wheels As Warrtalon said there are quite a few variables but a great start would be a set of wheels like 17x8 TE37 or CE28N's which are quite light. If you're talking about street tires factory A048's are nice, Neovas would be better, RT-615's would do well. If you're willing to go to a slick/comp tire RA-1's would do well, Mickey Thompson's, Hoosiers, Kumho Victoracers, there are lots of choices.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TVA, RA-1s and Victoracers are autocross tires with stiff sidewalls. The A046s, Neovas, and RT-615s are all in the same boat - very stiff sidewalls for handling, not for launching. A real drag tire has soft sidewalls that allow it to crinkle wihle launching, which is why all of those listed above would not be best. A drag radial is an r-comp, but not like the r-comps you listed...they have different make-ups that optimize them for drag racing.

Even so, I did not mention this before, because it requires much more input from the OP before I can truly suggest a tire.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
TVA, RA-1s and Victoracers are autocross tires with stiff sidewalls. The A046s, Neovas, and RT-615s are all in the same boat - very stiff sidewalls for handling, not for launching. A real drag tire has soft sidewalls that allow it to crinkle wihle launching, which is why all of those listed above would not be best. A drag radial is an r-comp, but not like the r-comps you listed...they have different make-ups that optimize them for drag racing.

Even so, I did not mention this before, because it requires much more input from the OP before I can truly suggest a tire.
+1
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

moved...
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Right on, stiff sidewalls = no good for drag racing.

Love this picture from How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn:

- Andrew