Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Passenger side HID went out...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger side HID went out...

My right headlamp keeps on turning off and sometimes it turns back on after I restart the engine. BTW, I am using an aftermarket HID kit. What should I be checking for? Pics of the location?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heSOshAdy
My right headlamp keeps on turning off and sometimes it turns back on after I restart the engine. BTW, I am using an aftermarket HID kit. What should I be checking for? Pics of the location?
Do you happen to have the light switch to the "on" position before turning on the engine? Mine does that if I had the "on" before turning the engine on, same right side light, and I have aftermarket HID kit. The problem goes away if I turn the headlights on after I turn the engine on...maybe more stablize voltage to light up the bulbs when the engine is running?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of kit do you have?? I had that on my other car (91 GTi) and it did the same thing...I think the kit I had was by Pilot...It was always the passenger side that would just turn off after I had it for a few weeks...It pissed me off so I took it off and sold it with the car...I think it had something to do with the ballast connection piece..
Old Mar 2, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Im pretty sure its the Xenon HID kit...

Any other solutions?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this problem when I used aftermarket HID's on my wrx. One day, it went out and wouldnt turn back on.

I know that the bulb still worked when I switched it over to the other side. The ballast prolly went out..
Old Mar 2, 2007, 08:26 PM

bring it to the dealership theyll replace bulb for free. part of your warranty
Old Mar 2, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

i had this problem... but later i found out its just a bad connection... got that fixed... problem slove
Old Mar 3, 2007, 06:15 AM

HID ballast need a strong voltage about 23kV to start up the Xenon bulb. It is high recommended to have the light switch at off position before start the engine.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

thats a sympton of a hid ballast going bad. Either it flickers upon startup or turns on and off randomly. It will eventually burn out. Same thing happened to my Techone hid ballast. I put the good ballast on the bad side, the HID light turned on. So I knew it was the bad ballast.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

My driver side hid also turns off randomly. I have to turn it on and off about 3 times, then its fine. I checked if any connections were loose but theyre all fine. Could this be a bad ballast or unstable voltage?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Ballast has gone to ****. Extremely common on aftermarket HID kits that make wannabe ballasts out of crappy factories with no quality control. Much less common when OEM ballasts are used like Phillips, Hella, Matsu****a, etc. Of course I'm talking about real ones. A lot of these aftermarket kits have been trying to label their ballasts as OEM ones, but are just a poor imitation.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I cant agree more. I wish my EvoIX GSR came with oem hids. Damn you MR/SE owners!!! =(
Old Mar 5, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

This has only happened to me about 3 times and hasnt happened again could it be my hids breaking in maybe? It doesnt flicker or anything, it turns on normally like it should.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

HIDs don't break in, although over time, bulbs will colorshift towards higher temperatures and lose their intensity. Be glad that they work, for now.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

my car was doing that, it only ended up being the bulb

Quick Reply: Passenger side HID went out...