Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Will I Be Happy? Coming from 04 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007 | 08:46 AM

Will I Be Happy? Coming from 04 Acura TL

I have been hovering around these forums for the past few months. My current lease on my 04 Acura TL 6MT is coming up on May 21st. I am all about, handling and speed and have loved the looks of the EVO over the past few years.

My question is has anyone from a luxury sedan converted to an EVO? Can you live without the cruise control, sunroof, heated seats, etc. I can live without all of these I am thinking. The only one I am iffy on is the sunroof. Sucks, because I want the 6speed MR. Maybe the 5 speed SE isnt so bad....Too many things to consider. Can anyone shine some light on this subject in helping me make a decision!

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

I love it matter of fact jumping from Lux to Speed. The evo is also like a sedan in a way. With better handling , speed, and a big smile on your face everytime you drive it. I use to drive a 2004 BMW M3. Sold it cuz i was getting bored of Euro cars. So i got the EVO and its fun ^_^. No complants yet. GL with your choice.
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

I came from a Cadillac CTS-V (luxury and lots of power)

Am not regreting at all...i love this damn go-kart!
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

I mean its all depends on your, if you have your eye set on the EVO for a while, why not just try it. You only live once. Then live it up with something a little more Exciting. But its really all up to you man. Good luck though. Hope you make the right choice.
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:00 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Azntoyhere
I mean its all depends on your, if you have your eye set on the EVO for a while, why not just try it. You only live once. Then live it up with something a little more Exciting. But its really all up to you man. Good luck though. Hope you make the right choice.
AWW MAN....I had the same issue as you except slightly different. I've owned an RSX for a few years and I swore I was gonna buy a TL especialy when the new Type-S came out. I had to take my RSX to get my tranny fixed under warranty and they gave me a TL, and I ended up driving that thing for 9 DAYS!!!!! I swore that was the car for me. Then my buddy bought an EVO and I was stuck. I just bought a IX SE specifically for the 5spd. I can't get enough of it man. If it was up to me I would have both. TL as a daily driver and EVO as my weekend STI crusher.

Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by coop1103
I have been hovering around these forums for the past few months. My current lease on my 04 Acura TL 6MT is coming up on May 21st. I am all about, handling and speed and have loved the looks of the EVO over the past few years.

My question is has anyone from a luxury sedan converted to an EVO? Can you live without the cruise control, sunroof, heated seats, etc. I can live without all of these I am thinking. The only one I am iffy on is the sunroof. Sucks, because I want the 6speed MR. Maybe the 5 speed SE isnt so bad....Too many things to consider. Can anyone shine some light on this subject in helping me make a decision!

Thanks in advance!
I came from a car with T-Tops.

1st time I hit boost, I forgot all about it.
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:29 AM

You like the 5 speed rather than the 6 offerred in the MR? I am assuming you got the sunroof and the hids, sound system that the MR offers? Also, some of my friends say it looks like a "high school" kid car. I am 29, but I think it looks pretty killer. Maybe I would replace the wing?
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:33 AM
Account Disabled

You like the 5 speed rather than the 6 offerred in the MR? I am assuming you got the sunroof and the hids, sound system that the MR offers? Also, some of my friends say it looks like a "high school" kid car. I am 29, but I think it looks pretty killer. Maybe I would replace the wing?
Probably because a lot of people have stated that the 5spd tranny is stronger. I you're not going to be modding it much then go with the MR. You'll probably wish you had the six when you're cruising on the highway.
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Import Junky
Probably because a lot of people have stated that the 5spd tranny is stronger. I you're not going to be modding it much then go with the MR. You'll probably wish you had the six when you're cruising on the highway.

I drove the 5 speed and not the 6 yet. I felt like the power in the 5 speed was unbelievable. That turbo would spool up so fast I didnt know what to do! LOL. Is the 6 speed technically "faster" than the 5 speed?
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

get a IX SSL-has the amenities you like without THAT much of a sacrifice in performance. I think if you went with anything else, you'll feel it. . .
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:47 AM
Account Disabled

I drove the 5 speed and not the 6 yet. I felt like the power in the 5 speed was unbelievable. That turbo would spool up so fast I didnt know what to do! LOL. Is the 6 speed technically "faster" than the 5 speed?
I wouldn't think so but I'm not the guy to ask. the 5speed definately feels like it needs another gear on the highway....not that I'm complaining. I also have an RSX with a 6spd. Didn't think I'd like the 5spd in the Evo but I was dead wrong.
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Take it from me, DON't GET THE 6 SPEED!

Get the MR for the Bilsteins and the other goodies, but plan on swapping to a 5 speed if you push any more power than stock.

Its not a question of IF it will happen, but WHEN it will blow. . . .
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 09:54 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by broddey

Get the MR for the Bilsteins and the other goodies, but plan on swapping to a 5 speed if you push any more power than stock.

Sorry to hear that. Have you already done the swap to a 5spd?
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Coop,

My previous car was an Olds Aurora that was coming off lease (leather, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, blah, blah, blah). Not nearly the performance level of a TL but still entry level Lux with modest zip). The day I had to pick up my EVO I was thinking ...... What the heck am I doing? No Leather, No heated seats, No smooth ride, Obnoxious wing, ...... I am nuts. Now, I can't imagine driving anything but this car. I love it. If you really need the electronic goodies, there are plenty of after market options to add to the car. I have added a Cruise Control, Homelink, Handsfree telephone, and a tire pressure monitoring system just for giggles. There's also a really nice double-din face plate if you'd like to add a "factory" looking Nav unit. Also if you start with the IX - SSL (as mentioned) you'll have more than us '03 guys who only had three real choices ...... Sunroof, wing, color. As far as performance goes ..... you can go nuts with the options.

Good luck.

By the way, I love the TL. Good choice.
Old Mar 12, 2007 | 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by broddey

Has anyone bought the IX SE and then bought the blisteins seperately and put them on?? Is that the biggest standard accessory that comes with the MR...the shocks??

What about my quote on people thinking this is a "kid" car. Can I make it look More upper 20, early 30's looking...LOL! My wife is concerned with the wing!! LOL.

Quick Reply: Will I Be Happy? Coming from 04 Acura TL