Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

evo9 turbo upgrade for an evo8?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo9 turbo upgrade for an evo8?

hi i'm still new to figuring out the evo's and how everything works, but i was wondering if putting a 20G turbo from an evo9 into an evo8 is a smart investment? are the gains really that noticeable?

on a side note, if you had a stock evo8 turbo and wanted to upgrade for street use, what would be my best route? I already have an upgraded intercooler, upper intercooler piping, manifold, turboback exhaust, cams, and the ECU flashed. thanks in advance guys.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

20g from an evo9? first off theres no such thing, evo 9 turbos are 16g with a bigger compressor side and a 10.5 hs. i would say do a "green turbo", but for me im doin a 9 turbo. i got mine used for 350 shipped. oh yah use the search button to get more info, on 20glt or green turbo.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:30 PM

Unless this vendor is selling things under the wrong name, i do see a 20g evo ix turbo here is the link and description
JDM EVO IX 20G TURBOCHARGER
Rated at 450HP, the Mitsubishi EVO 20G is the largest turbocharger to fit the stock manifold of an EVO.It features a 10.5 hot side and utilizes a stock O2 outlet. While the compressor housing on the 20G is the same as that on the EVO iX turbo, the compressor itself is significantly larger, allowing more potential power increases. Compared to the EVO VIII turbo, the 20G is designed to optimize airflow and has less issues with compressor surge than its predecessors.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoeng.htm

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jamesvoils
Unless this vendor is selling things under the wrong name, i do see a 20g evo ix turbo here is the link and description
Rated at 450HP, the Mitsubishi EVO 20G is the largest turbocharger to fit the stock manifold of an EVO.It features a 10.5 hot side and utilizes a stock O2 outlet. While the compressor housing on the 20G is the same as that on the EVO iX turbo, the compressor itself is significantly larger, allowing more potential power increases. Compared to the EVO VIII turbo, the 20G is designed to optimize airflow and has less issues with compressor surge than its predecessors.

yeah i saw the same thing with the same specs. like i said i'm still new to the whole turbo world, and this website as well, but i was thinking about purchasing that turbo since i saw a deal on one. thanks for the responses!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesvoils

I'm pretty sure that this is the 20g-9 6blade? someone correct if i'm wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:45 PM

yeah from what i can tell its a 6 blade. supposedly its the same thing as the stock evo9 turbo with a larger compressor. the only thing i'm worried about is if i bought this would it fit to an aftermarket manifold because mine is customed for my spray kit.