Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

:( Unable to drive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:( Unable to drive

I will have officially made my first car payment and I still have as of yet to drive or even here my car run. I guess that is what happens when you buy one that doesnt run. Just wanted to vent a lil.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
explanation?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

yeah explain, I'm interested
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

worthless w/o an explaination?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good venting..... you really made us feel for you.. lol
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

unable to drive what? im assuming, its an Evo...well, maybe youll feel a lot better venting if we get more infos.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

financing a car that doesnt run is interesting to say the least, shoulda kept the awd, aws, still running vr-4
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

I still have the VR4, but it is not a dd, and it is in storage. Parts of my story are on here but I will condense them to this thread. If you gimme a few mins I will add my mod list to the bottom of this post.

Story began in mid Feb. That is when I found an 03 Evo8, Apex Silver SSL. Well at the time it had a blown head gasket and input/output shaft bearings screaming in the transmission. Well, after a week or two of convincing myself that this is the one for me, (cheaper price and it looked good) I started working on it. I knew I would pull the trans and engine and go from there. Once the engine was out and disassembled it, I found that the head, between cyl 1 & 2 was slightly "melted" from having the gasket blown and prior owner continuing to drive it. At the same time I had my Mitsu tech build the trans. I sent the head to be machined, after finding out that I can saftly mill .020 off of it. Machine shop was able to clean it up with only taking .015 off.
First week of March, I spent between 2000-2500 in parts (intake, exhaust, Flash, etc) It adds up quickly. After having a big issue with a vendor, I finally recieve most of all my parts. It is now March 20. Last weekend I did a energy/gatorade induce frenzy in installing my engine and trans (I was wanting to take my car to the beach) I was successful in completely intalling it all in by Monday morning (1am) but could not start it due to having being at work at 630am.
Monday comes arround and that evening after work I make the attempt to start. I get zzzzzzzzzz when starting, sounds just like a broken timing belt. Pull the timing belt cover and spin over again, no broke belt, cam spin. Check timing, valvetrain is in time still. Check all connections and crap, everything is great. Huh, wonder what it could be? So I pull out the trusty compression tester and check compression. 30, 30, 60, 60. I spew out a few cusses and get fed up with it and go home mad.
Tuesday I leave my car with my Mitsu tech for him to check out. He confirms everything I did. But after doing so, he pulls the valve cover off to see if any valves maybe bent. He finds that ALL of the valve lash adjusters are not pumped up and that the valves are only opening 1/16th of an inch. Well no duh, of course it wont make much compression if the valves arent opening, STUPID ME. Now I am happy that I dont have to take my engine apart again. Later that day, he gets the adjusters pumped and trys to start again. zzzzzzz again, crack the throttle, and she LIVES!!!!! But if you let it get back to idle she shuts off.
I call BC to get his advice on the cams I installed (280's) and asked if I needed to retard or advance them. He told me no I didnt have to, and to bump the idle speed up to 900-1000rpms, if that did not work to then install a set of adjustable gears and spred the duration of the cams out a bit, other than that there wasnt anything else.
Tell my tech, he ends up bumping my idle to 1100 to keep it running. Now that the engine is running on its own, we can check for abnormal noises. We found one! Aparently the idler shaft in the trans is banging arround. CRAP! Now the trans has to come back out and fixed again. So here it is, Sat I am leaving for the beach and wont be back for a week. So even if the car get 100% fixed, I still will not be able to drive it untill after my first car payment is due.

Modifications: HKS intake with filter, AMS FMIC, AMS lower intercooler piping, red Forge Diverter valve, ACT HD clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, Forge polished MBC, GReddy Evo2 cat back, Megan Racing O2 bung, Megan Racing 3in downpipe, Megan Racing 3in catalytic converter delete with resonator, Walbro 255lp fuel pump, ARP head studs, ARP connecting rod bolts, SS clutch line, Motul brake and clutch fluid, Short throw shifter, aluminum shifter base bushings, counter weighted shift knob, Brian Crower 280 intake & exhaust camshafts, Brian Crower high RPM valve springs, Titainium spring retainers (not in yet, backordered), Ported factory exhaust manifold, Dynoflash ECU with 8500 RPM limit & removed speed limit & programed for 21psi for pump gas 26psi for race gas, Megan Racing boost gauge, Megan Racing oil pressure gauge, Megan Racing air fuel ratio gauge, relocated radio for indash gauge pod.

Last edited by sabastian458; Mar 28, 2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Omg that sucks. You have more patience than I do.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:24 AM
Account Disabled

good luck with that one.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

well you knew you what you were getting into and it sounds like you've done a good job so far....good luck!
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah... Here's mines

Opps it submitted on accident... My story is below!

Last edited by LilRico; Mar 28, 2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down Oh yeah, here's mines:

Well hey, you shouldn't feel so bad, wanna hear my situation:

I bought me a wonderful 2006 Electric Blue-Evo IX, I got about maybe 100 miles, maybe less... IDK... I got over $20,000 in bought parts and toys. I made over $18,000 worth in payments. I got so many big plans and so many ideas, it's not even funny. But the worst is... I have never seen my car! I've never seen a single key or better yet smell the "New Smell" in it.

Reason: I'm Deployed!! It'll be a total of 545 days of just having my friends send me pictures of my ride and not seeing it in person. To hear it, I have to call my mother when she does the weekly drive around the neighborhood. It's funny too... I'll tell her to "go to the long strip" which is out on back side of the neighborhood. I'll tell her "mash it and give it all you got!" Just to hear it spool... Sucks though because I have to tell her to keep quiet... The speed makes her scream...

I had her mail me my owners manual and everything just to read what it had and what I had bought. I had multiple friends look at it and tell me what it looks like, felt like, and sound it like... No one has drove it except my mother from the dealer after I bought it she now just drives it so it doesn't f up sitting there in the garage. You wanna talk about a situation that sucks... that it right there... No way to even know what I have exactly, my friends unwrap my CF stuff or other toys and take pictures to see if it made it okay, re-wrap it back up and put it back in the box so it waits for me to get home... it really sucks
Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, that does stink. When are they bringing you back states side? 545days is over 18 months.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I know.. Remember they just don't send us out here, we have to train first, that's a part of the 545, and I'll be leaving in 19 of June, and then it takes me a week to de-mob.

Quick Reply: :( Unable to drive