Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

crank walk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Lots of misinformation here. 7 bolt engines crankwalk much faster than 6 bolt engines because the 6 bolt engine came with a hardened crank surface. The 7 bolt engines did not. EVO engines do get crankwalk. There have been two reported cases here in tampa. There is much less incidence of crankwalk with evos because the factory required mobil 1 which is much more slippery than regular oil. Why mitsubishi didn't nitride the crank surface of 7 bolts is a mistery to me. Maybe budget cut?

If anyone doesn't know what a nitrided surface treatment is or how valuable/durable it is you only have to look at its importance in the camshaft world. Cam grinders have by mistake send out batches of cams that weren't nitrided. Crower and Web both made this mistake a few years back. All those cams had to be warrenteed as they all wore out in less than 2000 miles. I have also seen many cases of spun bearings in 6 bolts where all that was needed was a fresh set of bearings to put motor back in survice. This however has never happened with a 7 bolt. If you spin a bearing on a 7 bolt the crank will need to be turned.

I have been been rebuilding 7 bolt dsm motors with nitrided cranks for about a year now. One of those engines suffered an major mistake during oil change. He jacked the engine up on the oil pan. This restricted the oil pump from getting oil. the car was driven for two weeks when I got the call the engine was making a tapping sound. The engine had no more than 25psi oil pressure when warm. The bearings were trashed. new ones were installed and away the car went. I keep pics of the bearings to show those interested. No way in hell would this crank have survived without a nitrided surface.

If you learn anything from this thread it should be: Dont even think about building a 7 bolt without nitriding the crank.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Apr 8, 2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
No they don't.

They are the same engine turneflipped around, not everything is the same but the basic block, head and constuction is engineered the same. Sure they have new pistons and rods. but so did the 1g to 2g 4g63 engines. they keep improving the engine. It's where the evo was derived from.

Galant-vr4 = 4g63
1g dsm = 6 bolt 4g63 with 7.8 c/r,
2g dsm = 7 bolt 4g63 with 8.5 c/r, stronger rods
Evo = 4g63 with 8.7 c/r and again stronger rods

If you have anyone has other information feel free to post or correct me; I forgot which 4g63 was in the galant- I'm sure it's the 6 bolt found in the 1Gs.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

True that any engine out there CAN crankwalk. However, I don't think there's another motor out there that is as infamous as the 2nd Gen 7 bolt 4G63. Say crankwalk and almost anyone that's been around import cars for any given period of time will instantly think of those motors.

To say that the 4G63 found in the Evo is the same as the 2nd Gens is not true.

I wouldn't even say the non-turbo 4G63 found in the 1st Gen's is the same. They've used that motor in more cars than you could imagine. Here's some:

1984–1987 Dodge Colt Vista
1988 Mitsubishi Cordia
1988 Mitsubishi Tredia
1988–1992 Dodge Colt Vista
1989–1992 Mitsubishi Galant
1990–1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse
1990–1998 Eagle Talon
1990–1994 Plymouth Laser
1992–1998 Hyundai Sonata
1992–2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
1994–1998 Mitsubishi RVR X3 Turbo

In some of those, there are multiple variants of the 4G63 used inside the same model of car. To say it's the same motor isn't correct. I certainly wouldn't say that the motor in my Evo is the same as in a Hyundai Sonata.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Finally someone else backing me up with actual knowledge, thanks 90GSX, good information too.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Really? I had no idea that the DSM's had 4G63's in them.

It's not the same, though. Try using DSM camshafts, pistons, con-rods, etc. on an Evo. Hell, go external. Try using a DSM timing belt, or DSM spark plug wires, maybe an intake or exhaust manifold? I wonder if those will bolt right up.

Evo 1-3, not 1-4.

Thanks for the smartass remark. Nowhere did I say they were identical motors. I said they were 4G63s. Do you still feel better about yourself?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Nowhere did I say they were identical motors. I said they were 4G63s.

Originally Posted by sec711
...i know the evos have the same engine as the eclipses...
No they don't.
He's referring to the older 1g and 2g eclipses so yes they do...it's still a 4G63.

Thanks for the smartass remark.
Y/W

Do you still feel better about yourself?
Yep.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Good job...you quoted somone else and inferred that those were my words...obviously you have too much time on your hands. Get a life, retard.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Good job...you quoted somone else and inferred that those were my words...obviously you have too much time on your hands. Get a life, retard.
Wow. You're on crack.

I quoted him because YOU were arguing the truth to my statement. My statement was in response to HIS statement, not yours.

His quote was necessary to prove your ignorance.

Thanks for helping drive the nail home.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Delusional...and obssesive...seek therapy. I said it was a 4G63...am I wrong? I don't recall ever saying that all the parts were exactly the same, or that they were identical motors between years (yup, said that already) That stick up your butt must be sideways for you to get all worked up over something I'm not wrong about.

Last edited by Cirrusly Evolvd; Apr 8, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Around the time the last of the 2g's were coming off of the assembly line Mitsu announced that they had developed an engine with the crank walk problem solved. You could buy this engine and I know of a guy who did just that, replacing his crank walked engine. The last I heard it was still running okay.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Delusional...and obssesive...seek therapy. I said it was a 4G63...am I wrong? I don't recall ever saying that all the parts were exactly the same, or that they were identical motors between years (yup, said that already) That stick up your butt must be sideways for you to get all worked up over something I'm not wrong about.
Is this like your fuel pump "flow and pressure are the same thing, err, I mean they're related" argument?

Just give it a rest and let these two threads get back on-topic already.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Dude you aren't even part of that thread. What are you doing, following me around the board? Aww, how cute...you are enamored with me like a teenage girl stalking her first love. Like I said...obsessive

Edit: After doing some reading of your other post contributions (yes, I can do that too) I clearly see where the problem lies. You must not have had enough attention as a child. You talk to people like they are morons. You jump into peoples threads and correct the slightest misworded thought like you are the king of know-it-all. But hey, this is all perception and it works both ways.

I'm sure you'll have some smart remark or quip about how great you are and how (insert adjective here) I am. But I don't care. Have the last word if it makes you feel better. I'm off to better things than entertaining a rotten child.

Last edited by Cirrusly Evolvd; Apr 8, 2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Dude you aren't even part of that thread. What are you doing, following me around the board? Aww, how cute...you are enamored with me like a teenage girl stalking her first love. Like I said...obsessive
Seriously, do you think someone has to add a response to a thread or type "subscribed" in order to be subscribed to it?

Once again, you're ASSuming that you know what you're talking about and that you are high and mighty. Bah, like I said...Let's get back on-topic.