Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Wich evo to get?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:23 AM

Wich evo to get?

well, im in the market for a newer evo. and i have three in my sights.

1. 46k miles Rally red 2003 thats dumped on black powdercoated wheels, has bilstens, what appears to be full stainless HKS exasust all the way back, no cat, but a test pipe. ARC heat sheild over the turbo/exaust manifold, all Greddy piping, and boots, HKS intake, Greddy oil catch can, and short shifter, a turbo timer, and a Autometer boost gauge on the pillar. on the gauge, under full throttle, this thing pulls 19-20lb's of boost, is this thing pretty stock besides the mods i mentioned? it hauls ***!!!

2. 10k miles Tarmac black 2005, obviously has been beat on in its short 10,000 mile life, a few strange dents, and a completely bald front left tire. . the upside to this car is its still under warranty unlike the other two. it has Borla cat back exaust and a chip. was owned by a 16 year old stock besides the aforementioned mods.

3. 47k miles Electric blue 2003 stock except a carbon hood, intake, and cat back exaust.

well, im leaning towards the red one, it was quite a bit fater than the black evo. the Rally red evo's engine sounded PERFECT, no ticks, no nothing once warmed up, or cold. and it drove perfect. i was VERY impressed. The black evo drove nice, still had good power, but not as much as the modded one (obviously) but allready had a little valve noise, and some curb damage on the wheels, and the bald front left Blue one i still havent driven yet, going to today. we will see how she runs in about an hour.

I thought i would come here and ask the opinions of some seasoned evo owners, as this is my first import purchase, i have had v-8's and RWD before this

Thanks in advance.
Marc
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

im sure youre about to hear alot about buying modded evo's. do you know the owner personally?
i would try to find a balance between lowest miles and most stock.
who cares if its fast now... you can do your own mods. you want something that will last
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:36 AM

i did not know the owner of the red one, personally. Its a dealership car, as all of them are.

Last edited by B.O.V.; Apr 10, 2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:37 AM

2003 evo's are not electric blue they are blue by you its lighter and more dull of a blue
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

The valve ticking is normal. That's just the 4G63 reminding you that it's there when you're not laying in to the throttle.

However, I'd stay away from the one owned previously by the 16 year old. You can pretty much bet that the clucth will soon be gone, if it hasn't been replaced already.

2003 is Blye By You, not Electric Blue.

I'd say you should go with the Rally Red. You'll get the HID's for sure, it's got good mods (besides the intake, take that off and replace it with the stock air box). The fact that the parts on that car are JDM companies of fairly high caliber tell me that the car was at least not pieced together using eBay as a shopping guide.

It sounds like the red one is probably on the stock block, stock turbo, boost controler pushing the stock turbo to around 20 PSI before taper.
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

what is the prices for them?
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:51 AM

Casper was saying something about not buying a modded evo, but why? were would the boost controlled be on the red one? i am fairly auto saavy but i have never owned a turbo car before.
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Azntoyhere
what is the prices for them?
#1 i can get for around 22.5k out the door

#2 25k plus tax/liscense.

#3 20k plus tax/liscence.
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

you never wanna buy any evo that is over 30k miles man, How much are those selling for?
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 10:56 AM

you never wanna buy any evo that is over 30k miles man, How much are those selling for?
sorry, but im not very educated on Evo's. why is this? i have had quite a few friends buy 4G63 talons, and Eclipses with high miles, beat the **** out of them, and sell them in perfect running condition. i know there is more of a chance of the car being beat, with higher miles. Do these things break often after 30k miles? whats the deal?
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Well i dont really mean never buy them, but it would be best if you find a Evo that is as close as stock possible. Where you know it is somewhate safe. There could be a reason why people sell there Evo. It could be something is wrong with the car and it cannot not hold the abuse anymore and they planning to sell it. Could be anything. Car can be fine one day and the next day its busted. Yeah so you still havent told me how much those car cost?
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 11:03 AM

Yeah so you still havent told me how much those car cost?
Originally Posted by B.O.V.
#1 i can get for around 22.5k out the door

#2 25k plus tax/liscense.

#3 20k plus tax/liscence.
post #8 you NOOB
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 11:04 AM

2003 viii
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Just get the one with the chip in it...

It will be awesome.
Old Apr 10, 2007 | 11:07 AM