Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

who gets paid warranty work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are keeping the car for a while want to modify it and want to drive it hard, send that TC out to a known shop and have them go over it and build it up, don't just throw in another stocker that your gonna kill again.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
Account Disabled

OK, I didn't tell you the rest of the story...

2 years after I had the tranny replaced on my Supra, I worked in the used car department of the same dealership. This is how I know of the book rate, vs flat rate.

beating the book by 50% is not just done by master mechanics, it's done by everyone. In toyota speak, there are techs, T-10s, and Master Mechanics. I am sure that it's similar with all dealerships.

Techs get the crap jobs that are non-technical... Lube, oil, filters. T-10s get the jobs like brakes, vehicle specific jobs, and the like, and master mechanics get the big jobs, like R&Ring an engine. tranny rebuilds, or hard diagnostic work.

When I was with Toyota, I got many of the master mechanic duties when it had to do with Kazuma/TRD products, as I had more aftermarket experience than others, and they didn't want to touch them because they couldn't beat book.

If there is a job where there is no book time on, the mechanics work flat rate, and shuffle their heals when doing it.

There is one positive side to waranty work for the dealerships... the service writers love to do it because they know they won't have to deal with the owners on the cost of labor/parts... selling the owner on the idea of having their entire turbo system R&Red (9 hours in toyota's book for an MR2) for a failing $2 hose is a horror... but the manufacturer says "yep, that's what it costs, charge it"
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:07 PM

What can you do to a tc to make it stronger? The front diff spider gears are known to be the weakest link and you can get forged ones or a lim slip, but I dont think I even blew those since the front tires spin as they should in the air with no gear noise or obstructions. What else can you make more reliable on the tc without a ton of money...keep in mind I am on a college budget for this too. I think I will just replace whatever looks chewed up in the tc with oem components unless someone knows of a company that makes reasonably priced stronger replacements.