Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is the EVO the right car for me???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I went and did my test drive last night at one of the local dealers. I started by asking to see what one looked like. They only had one and it was parked next to an '08 Lancer so I got to see what they look like side by side and I must say I prefer the IX to the NBS (new body style). I asked if I could sit in it because it does look like a really small car. Having just gotten out of a Silverado and also just finishing test driving an Outback down the street I was surprised to find that I was actually more comfortable and had more room in the EVO than I did in the Outback. Getting in and out wasn't a problem (except I really didn't want to get out!). He offered to let me take it for a spin and said he'd been with the dealer for a month and had been waiting for someone to take him for a ride in it. It had 8 miles on the odometer and had obviously been sitting for awhile. The calipers were rubbing pretty good and it was pulling hard to the left so the tires may have been low on air.

He asked if I knew how to drive a stick and I lied and said I drove a Jeep Wrangler every once in awhile (I was scared he wouldn't let me take it out if I told him the truth). So I pulled it out from it's spot and killed it. How embarassing . I just grinned at him and said "Wow the clutch pedal sure does come up far." I restarted and it didn't happen again. Pulling off the lot to the street there was plenty of time to pull out but there was also a lot of traffic coming my way. So I punched it and purely by accident that beast went straight to 5500rpm in the blink of an eye. The steering is really sharp and "crisp" is the best word I can think of and that traffic was a distant memory in the rearview mirror before I could say go. I pulled it into 2nd and let off the throttle. I didn't have time to look and see how fast I was going before it was time to slow down again. I apologized to the salesman because he looked as scared as I was happy. I swear I had a grin that you couldn't have beat off my face with a shovel. All I said when I pulled out was "OH MY GOD!!" which is probably what the salesman was thinking. Traffic was horrible so it wasn't a very spirited drive and the gas tank was practically empty so we didn't go far, but in the mile or so that I drove the car I think I've fallen in love.

The dealership was fresh out of brochures and everyone acted as though they could care less if I bought the car or not (kind of arrogant I thought). The window sticker was $32k and with how long I can tell that car's been sitting I can probably pick it up for $28 or $29k I hope. I'm going to call the guy today and have him fax me over the window sticker so I can pull up on Edmunds.com what that car with its features is going for. I told the guy I wouldn't be ready to take delivery for a month and he tried to act like that was it and they wouldn't get another one. I swear they must think I'm really slow. He was trying to prompt an impulse buy but their attitude and the fact he was a rookie left me walking away shaking my head at him.

I do want that car. It's got everything I need: a cd player, four wheels and lots of go. Plus it's in the color that I want too; silver with the carbon fiber spoiler. Aluminum all the way across the top and auto door locks and windows. It's a badazz little ride. I'm sold. Problem solved and thread closed.

OCTO13ER

P.S. Sorry for the long post but I thought I'd mention I figured out the clutch doesn't have to go to the floor to change gears, and I love the way that shifter just clicks through the gears without hardly even moving your arm. Unlike a Jeep Wrangler!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

please tell me you never test drove the one I just bought it cali...
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope he warmed it up first :P

You know the car is alot faster when its warm, the ECU pulls a lot of timing and runs low boost when the car isn't at operating temperature.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
I hope he warmed it up first :P

You know the car is alot faster when its warm, the ECU pulls a lot of timing and runs low boost when the car isn't at operating temperature.
Interesting bit of information, you really do learn something new everyday. Guess I never realized this because I either always let the car warm up or never boost it until the car is warmed up

To the OP I think I felt exactly the way you felt when I test drove one, the way the boost hit so hard, I never felt anything like that coming from my boosted RS-T that only runs 6-8psi It was amazing how quick the turbo spooled I had to get used to how to step on the gas
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:00 AM

Keep in mind the upkeep costs of the EVO. That is the only thing that gets me sometimes... M1 Synthetic oil, 93 octane fuel, regular tuneups, cop hassles/speeding tickets, expensive tires, highest insurance rate of any car in the US....

But then again, to me, it was totally worth it. Changing driving from a chore to a joy brightens every day.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:25 PM

Yeah I let it run for a bit before I went tearing out of the dealership. I started it up and listened to the exhaust tone a bit before I closed the door, then adjusted my mirrors and seat, belted in; I always warm up a bit before I drive. I take very good care of all my cars.

I run 93 octane in my truck because of the tune and have only used AmsOil since 20k miles changing every five. Fill up that big 23 gallon tank twice a week at $70+ a pop and you'll be happy to fill up an Evo. I'm already paying premium insurance on my Impala SS just because it has SS in the title. I doubt I'll be paying too much more. I'm mentally and financially prepared for this car; so no worries there. I was just concerned about how it was to drive but that concern is no more.

OCTO13ER
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OCTO13ER
The window sticker was $32k and with how long I can tell that car's been sitting I can probably pick it up for $28 or $29k I hope. I'm going to call the guy today and have him fax me over the window sticker so I can pull up on Edmunds.com what that car with its features is going for.
best of luck with purchasing! i was able to get mine a little over 1500 less than what the dealership paid the bank for my MR.

i asked to see the invoice for the car which showed me, with precision, what they paid for the car and the date the dealership accepted the car with the price paid to the bank.

car had sat on the lot for 152 days. they claimed a slow sales weekend (it was a pretty cold, rainy winter day) so they wanted to move cars. also, it was my second time in there asking about that car; the first time, i took a business card and called them later in the week to give them the impression i was serious.

sounds like you have identified a car that's been sitting for a while and already established yourself as a serious buyer. here's to hoping that your timing is good and you show up at a time they're in a mood to move cars.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OCTO13ER
Currently have an '04 SS Impala for the wifes daily driver. Have been considering doing some mods on it but she wanted an AWD wagon (Subaru Outback) for safety and other reasons (kids may be on the way). I've got a Silverado Z71 for my daily driver but am tired of moving friends furniture. That's as much as I've used it for and the mileage sucks.

I enjoy modding, have done alot with my truck mostly out of neccessity than fun but it has been entertaining. While researching the Outbacks I came across the STi's and made up my mind to sell my truck because most of what I haul can fit in the wagon. I mentioned this to a friend and he said what I want is an EVO which is why I'm here.

I've been doing a lot of reading and am totally new to imports and tuners (devoted Chevy fan my whole life, but Chevy's idea of speed is slowing me down). I've never raced a day in my life and this car will be a very fast way to get to work (mostly highway). I was looking at AWD because I do live in Illinois and the car will see snow otherwise I'd be looking for a rear wheel drive with a good chunk of power. I think I should mention that I do "know how" to drive a stick (I mean it's been known to happen), but I've never driven a stick for a daily driver. I'm sure I could get used to it but am not sure if I need to start a little smaller here. I do have the Impala SS but it can't keep up with me and front wheel drive performance cars just suck.

Cons: New to manual trans, car's gonna see some snow, gonna' be a daily driver.

Pros: AWD, it's just friggin' fast, corners like it's on rails.

Open to advice.

OCTO13ER

P.S. Wait for the '08 or take delivery on an '06?
Take an Evo IX out for a 36 Hour consignment. "A 3-day test drive"
Most dealers will not tell you about the 36 Hour consignment.
But, if you tell them it was offered to you from another dealer, you will get to drive one for three days.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

just get evo
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you loved it, so the problem is definitly solved, plus if you buy it no one else has to worry about it being beat on before break-in... I'm selling mine because I got tired of all the hassles and lack of creature comforts for DD, but it sure has been a blast for the past 4 years.

As for X vs IX, you made a good choice, the IXs IMO are much nicer/sportier looking than the Xs. Let us know what you end up getting it for if you do pick it up... Cars that have sat on lots for a long time should go quietly through the dealer (we almost picked up a 2003 Boxster S for 22.5k, so there's full proof of that theory)