Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is the EVO the right car for me???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the EVO the right car for me???

Currently have an '04 SS Impala for the wifes daily driver. Have been considering doing some mods on it but she wanted an AWD wagon (Subaru Outback) for safety and other reasons (kids may be on the way). I've got a Silverado Z71 for my daily driver but am tired of moving friends furniture. That's as much as I've used it for and the mileage sucks.

I enjoy modding, have done alot with my truck mostly out of neccessity than fun but it has been entertaining. While researching the Outbacks I came across the STi's and made up my mind to sell my truck because most of what I haul can fit in the wagon. I mentioned this to a friend and he said what I want is an EVO which is why I'm here.

I've been doing a lot of reading and am totally new to imports and tuners (devoted Chevy fan my whole life, but Chevy's idea of speed is slowing me down). I've never raced a day in my life and this car will be a very fast way to get to work (mostly highway). I was looking at AWD because I do live in Illinois and the car will see snow otherwise I'd be looking for a rear wheel drive with a good chunk of power. I think I should mention that I do "know how" to drive a stick (I mean it's been known to happen), but I've never driven a stick for a daily driver. I'm sure I could get used to it but am not sure if I need to start a little smaller here. I do have the Impala SS but it can't keep up with me and front wheel drive performance cars just suck.

Cons: New to manual trans, car's gonna see some snow, gonna' be a daily driver.

Pros: AWD, it's just friggin' fast, corners like it's on rails.

Open to advice.

OCTO13ER

P.S. Wait for the '08 or take delivery on an '06?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

As far as a daily driver the evo is fantastic. It is practical and it is reliable.. (unless abused) But you do give up alot when you buy one. You get no creature comforts, no luxury and a boy racer look. If you plan on racing the car then all these things are good, but if you plan on daily driving, then why sacrifice? If you plan as using the evo as a hobby/ toy then it may be worth it as well. there are tons of mods available and you only need a couple to make an evo 9 400 crank hp. Good luck !
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
dd evo- and I wouldn't trade it for anything else- I just wish I had cruise control, I can deal without all the other creature comfort crap. Oh well price we pay I guess
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Look into Subaru WRX wagon or forest XT. They also offer auto transmission and might suit you better.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim1201
Look into Subaru WRX wagon or forest XT. They also offer auto transmission and might suit you better.
Definitely if you don't plan on modifying the car to high performance levels an evo really would be kind of a waste. As a track and performance junkie I like the evo for its raw feel and its parts selection for performance made it desirable to me.

The real ease of modification to an Evo in comparison to the STI is the location of the parts themselves. The flat 4 design simply does not lend itself to what could be simple change out items like Cams, turbos, performance intake manifolds, and basically any modification which requires you to get into the guts or near the guts of the machine itself.

Your going to find that running costs of these performance cars are probably going to at least exceed your truck in terms of tires, fluids, brakes, what have you. Another thing is these cars come with high performance summer tires which SHOULD NEVER be used in snow or ice for ANY reason, AWD can get you moving but the tires are what make you corner and stop.

The end of it is basically what you will be happy with both performance and practicality wise with you purchase so choose carefully
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:17 PM

Modding I enjoy. I replaced the entire front end on my truck with poly because the rubber was mushy, I'm running a 2500 stall TCC with a built trans, switched to 4.10's front and rear, stainless Corsa cat back w/ dual duals out the rear, CAI and a mail order tune tweaked on the dyno. Next step was built internals and FI but let's face it: what am I trying to build here? A 5500 lb. race car? I got bored with it so then I turned my attention to the Impala. But again, come on, what am I going to build? A 600 hp grocery getter? Front wheel drive and performance just don't mesh well in my mind. In high torque applications the weight of the vehicle shifts to the rear and you're losing traction. Sure, there's off-set motor mounts that help, but it's not cutting the mustard.

Also I'm not entirely new to manual trans. My first vehicle was a motorcycle and I drive heavy equipment for work with three speed manuals. I realize that neither is the same but when I went to Mexico the only cars I could rent were all manual trans and I did okay (alright, I killed a VW at a light but only once). I'll also mention that there wasn't a straight road in site and nothing short of up and down hill driving the whole time in the foothills of the Sierra Madre mountains. Everything around here is flat and straight so I figure if I can handle the mountains in a manual I can handle this around here. It was even better driving those hills on a Harley Road King with a screaming eagle package. That was fun! I didn't know you could lean a Road King so far. I was scraping up sparks!

By the way, I'm only 33 so I don't think it's a mid-life crisis I'm having. I used to have a little Cavalier that I'd zoom around town in and it was fun. I miss it when driving around used to be fun.

OCTO13ER
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

the evo should fill up the needs of your family but maybe its a little too much for you. the subaru outback that she wants would probably be enough. you can modify if you want to add a little power or work on handling and get better tires for family use.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Have you driven an Evo yet? That would be my first suggestion... go test drive one!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:42 PM

Nah, Outback will be her car. She doesn't even want the turbo charged but I did talk her into the 6 cylinder. EVO will be second car for me. I love new toys!!

Yes, I need to go test drive one. I just hate going to dealerships 'cause I always leave with something new. I'm a sucker for a new car. I'm also kind of torn if I should wait for the new X, which I really like but don't neccessarily dislike the IX. Plus the X has a few more ponies and an auto trans but I don't think I really want an auto trans in this car. Other than that from what I've read it seems to be a little better quality on the interior. Strange rattling noises drive me nuts because I drive by sound as much as feel. If there's a weird noise coming from the dash it worries me somethings about to break but maybe that's only because I've always driven Chevy's (oooh, did I say that out loud?).

The one thing I don't like about the X is: new engine for Mitsubishi. I'm sure all the kinks have yet to be worked out of it and I'm not interested in being a guiney pig. So I'm leaning more towards an IX and not the MR because I want a sunroof. Sunroofs are cool.

I guess I'll go on down to the Mitsubishi dealer and see if he's got one I can take for a spin. If I like it, maybe I'll buy it. Hopefully not entirely on impulse because test drives don't tell me what it's going to be like after driving for a year. I need to be careful here.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm already sold on the car I just need to make sure it's going to be what I still want a year from now.

OCTO13ER
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

If you don't mind lacking a few comforts, the Evo's great. As for not being the best at driving stick, give it a week driving a manual and you'll be fine. I got mine as a DD and haven't regretted it yet. I still after a few months enjoy the power that it has in stock form (although you can always use a little more) If you want a few more comforts than the Evo provides look into STI's they've also got a great community for tuning.

As for 06 (IX) or 08 (X) that's entirely up to you. Some people would never get an X because they are loyal to the almighty 4G63, but at the same time the X might be far better than the IX so that's a decision that's entirely up to you.

Edit, looks like you just addressed some issues that I was talking about as I was typing.

I would check out South Coast Mitsus prices here and maybe bring them down to your local dealer when you go, they should be able to help you out with bargaining power and it will give you a good idea on if the dealer is gonna be a ****head or not
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

LOL....I just sold my 2004 F250 King Ranch so I could get an 06 MR. I had 6" of lift, Arp studs, SCT programmer and 37" Toyo's on 20's. Do it! I'm having a blast. I've had the car for 3 days and I got tint done, blitz dual stage turbo timer on the way and the apexi power filter. Soon to get a manual boost controller and eventually the exhaust. I have 2 kids and they both think the car is great.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, if I were you, I would get a Legacy 2.5GT. Black ones look pretty slick.

p.s. The fiance is going to be getting a Outback in about a year.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

You could also find someone with a few mods (TBE, MBC, & flash) to take you for a ride. You'll be able to see how fast it is with $1000-$1500 worth of upgrades. Just another thought for you...
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:12 PM

I have a evo that is my dd. it does have some mods so the power is amazing. It's a great car minus the fact that if you have to drive in it for a couple hours straight. It's not ment to be a road trip car. All in all i love the car and i've only had mine for about 2 weeks.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

my evo is my dd and i love it

Quick Reply: Is the EVO the right car for me???