Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo IX MR Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2007, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX MR Tranny?

Okay So I did a search with a few diffrent Keywords and couldnt find anything...
But my question some of the guys here in CO say that the IX MR trannys are weak and not many people make gears for them so I cant upgraded a gear or something like that, about a month or two ago My car stared making a noise and I cant figure out what it is, so some people tell me its the tranny and 4th gear, so they are telling me to downgreade to a 5speed tranny, but i dont know if its worth it or not?

What do you guys thing on this? and what do you think the problem could be... The noise is like a winding noises. but i cant pin point it. and the wheels are balanced and everything so its not any rattle or anything. it makes the noise in 2-6th gear. so please help me out here guys.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
They seem to hold up fine to 1/4 miles runs, but there have been issues with failed 4th gear on track driven MRs. It appears to be due in-part to overheating of the gear oil and components. Inhierent weakness of the hear gears is an issue too.
Old May 6, 2007, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

have you checked your power steering fuilds? and ,maybe the tranny fuilds too.....what you tell sounds to me like a pump running on low fluids? Winding noise..when all else fails in diagnoising start at the bottom(meaning check fluids, working your way thru to hard parts) maybe your rear diff, acd pump....etc...check your fuilds...maybe something is low...
Old May 6, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

You've got quite a few mods there, but don't worry at all about the 4th gear until you get to 400whp and up, unless you road race a lot. So if you're bolting on a GT42R and push 700whp youre going to need a 5 speed, haha.
Old May 7, 2007, 07:58 AM

okay well ill have to check the fluieds and what not, make sure their full, and the if everything is full i dont know... i realy dont wanna replace the tranny yet, i mean i got the car about 9months ago, so yeah. thanks for the help guys.