Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I boooo you ddddddana boooo this man booooo boooob ooooo
Old May 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddddddana
1st of all, you wont get 350awhp in an evo without meth or something stupid, so shh.

2nd of all, RS and GSR (most common model) dont come with HID's, so shh.

and 3rd of all, does everyone race street light to street light. people can enjoy an EVO or STI without racing it constantly. for anyone with a long communte, Cruise Control isn't a bad thing at all .. soo SHHH!
Actually it is possible to get 350 awhp without meth....ISP Racing...it is all in the mods and tune....so Shhh

I have a GSR and it came with HID...so Shhh

I wouldnt mind cruise control on long trips....but now that I have a daily...the doesnt travel too far anymore.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
thread has been destroyed

Ok, i bought:

o2/manifold combo $450
Mbc $25
TBE (used) $300
Tune $300

Total Cost: $1075.00

Ending result :
330WHP on bushurs mustang dyno.
That is basically equivalent to 380+ WHP on a dynojet

I didnt mention the word Crank HP once... What does that STI put to the wheels.

haha this is going to turn into another thread about mustang vs dynojet dynos.

No evo 8 or 9 with stage 1 and tune makes 380whp, sorry.

i have a 9 with stage 1 plus cams, injecotrs and licp and im making 360/360 with the aid of Tuning Technologies.

so in reality, you're making 330awhp.

compared to the sti which is approx 330-350awhp.

I was not saying that the STI would have SUPERIOR power with the same amount of money, i was merely pointing out that you could have EQUIVALENT power for the same maount of money.

So don't let that be the judge when picking between cars.

Oh and whenever i attend auto-x events, subi's outnumber evo's 4 to 1
Old May 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

No evo 8 or 9 with stage 1 and tune makes 380whp, sorry.

i have a 9 with stage 1 plus cams, injecotrs and licp and im making 360/360 with the aid of Tuning Technologies.

I was not saying that the STI would have SUPERIOR power with the same amount of money, i was merely pointing out that you could have EQUIVALENT power for the same maount of money.

So don't let that be the judge when picking between cars.

Who cares about dyno numbers unless you race on paper...what are you trapping and your ET...is a better indicator of your car's performance.

looks like tuning may be an issue for you decrease in power gain.

As far as autox events versus number of evo attendance/participation....that varies. I have seen various and the number fluctuates.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derangedazn
Actually it is possible to get 350 awhp without meth....ISP Racing...it is all in the mods and tune....so Shhh

I have a GSR and it came with HID...so Shhh

I wouldnt mind cruise control on long trips....but now that I have a daily...the doesnt travel too far anymore.
not for $1500!! hahaha .. that was the original point .. duh .. soo shh

and you said nothing but base model, GSR non-se is most common . soo shh

and yea, thats what i thought, no need for a minivan if you want Cruise Control, just because it doesnt apply to you. you do not = everyone
Old May 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yenny
Hi, I'm not newbie to the site or cars (including awd turbo). I'm just new to posting here. I've been mainly researching behind the scenes on here. I'm also on the subaru websites, and drive a an 07 base non-turbo impreza now to give you an idea of where I'm coming from and I'm 26 years old.

I pretty much know the pros and cons of both cars. I also have test driven both of them.

Evo IX=great to mod, great track, interior not as great as STi except for recaros, exterior is subjective, more responsive steering, faster than STi stock (even though it doesn't feel like it, which comes into play later), more of a race bred car, etc.

STi = $$$ to mod, nice interior if you're into the 2 tone (except limited model), exterior is subjective, cruise control, 6 disc cd, auto climate, temp gauge, more of a daily driver, etc

I don't autoX or even drag at the track. I had a 350z for a year and wasn't completely happy (lack of interior space was a small factor). The main reason I didnt like the Z is because driving it in the city was boring. The Z was fun to drive on the highway, but not without breaking the speed limit. In the city, it wasn't that fun since the speed was so linear making it "feel" slow.

I am looking for a fun car to drive in the city (read as under 60mph). I love the low end torque of the STi for this. Driving it up to 4-5k rpm in the city, without really stomping on it was fun. I felt the torque, and some of the lag made the car appear like it was faster than it may actually be (reminds me of the VTEC in my old prelude) And a few months earlier, I loved the 06/07 STi look, interior and out, making it a simple choice. I was determined at the time to eventually get an STi.

Recently however, I am beginning to like the Evo's appearance a lot more (excluding the X). The interior doesnt bother me and the exterior looks better than the STi's. But test driving the Evo wasn't as thrilling as the STi (since the STi's "feel" faster, bigger displ., smaller turbo, etc). My question is with $2000 in mods and getting ~310?awhp, will the low end torque dramatically improve and "feel" as fun/torquey as the STi? And will I feel this power with just daily driving, no launching, and staying under 60mph? I don't go on the highway often, so a high reving, weak low end torque car (e.g. S2000, stock evo), is not what I am looking for.

I did test drive both cars fairly hard, redlining going through the gears.

I've also had some experience in my friends mustangs and vettes, but it's not what i'm looking for.

If I had the autobahn to use or tracked the car, then the decision would be easy - Evo. I've done a lot of searching on here, nasioc, and iwsti and haven't quite found the answer to what I'm looking for. Please help me out....and thanks.
both the evo & sti are a night and day difference as far as power delivery goes---you need to choose what you prefer the most and go with that ...this topic is old hat, but in general, if you want low-end torque go with the suby, if you want incredibly sharp handling go with the evo. i have both cars and you really won't be dissappointed with either---its really just a matter of preference
Old May 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

looks like tuning may be an issue for you decrease in power gain.

As far as autox events versus number of evo attendance/participation....that varies. I have seen various and the number fluctuates.
correct and correct.

i just talk about the majority that i have been too.

I am only ruling out peoples IDEA's that subi's cant auto-x.

And just so everyone knows, i own both. i love both. i am partial to the STI though, i dont know.

I still hate when people post these threads because it is honestly a matter of opinion. why would you want someone else picking out a car for you. hmmm
Old May 8, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

If an evo puts down about 286+ crank from the factory and it makes 220+ on a mustang bone stock do the math. I picked up over 110WHP just from $1100.00

1) not going to argue with you about what kinda numbers i made. If i didnt mention the word mustang dyno, i would have made in reality 380whp.

With these mods and a NASTY boost leak i ran a 12.1/12.2 @ 116mph also. stage one STI's run 116mph traps? that would be incredible, but unlikely.

2) Subies all autocross because they finally excepted the fact that it costs to much to compete against the EVO's in the 1/4 mile. When you autoX yes you can drop a grand or 2 in suspension/tires but it comes down to the driver, and thats that.

What is the most WHP an STI will take on stock turbo/block Thank you..
Old May 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
If an evo puts down about 286+ crank from the factory and it makes 220+ on a mustang bone stock do the math. I picked up over 110WHP just from $1100.00

1) not going to argue with you about what kinda numbers i made. If i didnt mention the word mustang dyno, i would have made in reality 380whp.

With these mods and a NASTY boost leak i ran a 12.1/12.2 @ 116mph also. stage one STI's run 116mph traps? that would be incredible, but unlikely.

2) Subies all autocross because they finally excepted the fact that it costs to much to compete against the EVO's in the 1/4 mile. When you autoX yes you can drop a grand or 2 in suspension/tires but it comes down to the driver, and thats that.

What is the most WHP an STI will take on stock turbo/block Thank you..

I've seen subi's make 400awhp (w/o meth or cheater crap) on a stock block and stock turbo.

never seen an evo do it.

post some dyno sheets showing your cars (must be the 1 and only) making 380awhp on a stock evo motor with no meth or nitrous or 110 or anything.

AND I CANT HONESTLY BELIEVE YOU ARE ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT 1/4 TIMES. 1/4 RACING IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TOTEM POLE WHEN IT COMES TO RACING. 1/4 MILES DONT MEAN ****. TAKE THEM TO A TRACK, OR SIMILAR, AND YOU CAN THEN COMPARE. Maybe Subi guys are the real racers and realize this.

TALK TO ME WHEN YOU OWN AN STI
Old May 8, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by freddiet
I boooo you ddddddana boooo this man booooo boooob ooooo
haha you're an idiot. just because i am making you realize that subi's compare to evo's.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

not for $1500!! hahaha .. that was the original point .. duh .. soo shh

and you said nothing but base model, GSR non-se is most common . soo shh

and yea, thats what i thought, no need for a minivan if you want Cruise Control, just because it doesnt apply to you. you do not = everyone
Your argument was that a stage 1 will not yield close to 350awhp without alky...here are some thread from another forum that you may want to look at:

http://forums.dcevoclub.com/showthread.php?t=6893
http://forums.dcevoclub.com/showthre...ight=ISP+Tuned

I dont have an SE...I have an 8...you never clarified which model....you just stated GSR
Old May 8, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've seen subi's make 400awhp (w/o meth or cheater crap) on a stock block and stock turbo.

never seen an evo do it.

post some dyno sheets showing your cars (must be the 1 and only) making 380awhp on a stock evo motor with no meth or nitrous or 110 or anything.

AND I CANT HONESTLY BELIEVE YOU ARE ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT 1/4 TIMES. 1/4 RACING IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TOTEM POLE WHEN IT COMES TO RACING. 1/4 MILES DONT MEAN ****. TAKE THEM TO A TRACK, OR SIMILAR, AND YOU CAN THEN COMPARE. Maybe Subi guys are the real racers and realize this.

i know that you are partial to STi's and well you have a lot more authority than most in the STi vs Evo conversation since you own both. however, i did find it interesting that Motor Trend decided to include the Evo, while specifically excluding the STi, in its latest issue regarding America's best handling car.

i'm curious about your opinion in this issue because at any time you can take either of those cars out, go home and park it, then take the other one out.

btw, this is just a personal opinion and no attack on the STi folks out there, but i have to put it out there: you can spend <$300 on a ebay 3" TBE and about $900 on a vishnu tune and get about 350whp on a dynojet with absolutely no other mods. max reliability and consistency without making your car look like project jetta/ void your warranty, for about $1200 and have what Motor Trend says is the 4th best handing car in the United States of America.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

never seen an evo do it.

1/4 mile is a good estimate on your car's performance. So you are telling me that the 400awhp sti has done this without going to a front mount. Search and you will find many evos pushing 400awhp on a stock block and turbo...I personally know of 1 in the dc that I have hung out before making 390 corrected with stock bottom and stock IX turbo.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Your argument was that a stage 1 will not yield close to 350awhp without alky...here are some thread from another forum that you may want to look at:

http://forums.dcevoclub.com/showthread.php?t=6893
http://forums.dcevoclub.com/showthre...ight=ISP+Tuned

I dont have an SE...I have an 8...you never clarified which model....you just stated GSR

You're incorrect. The argument was stage 1 for $1500.

You can get 350awhp all day long with any car. and i mean ANY car .. as long as you have money. duhh

I'm also not going to your links, because we're arguing about 2 different things so you providing me with supporting links to prove you can get 350awhp out of an EVO is pointless, i know you can.

and i must admit, you got me once. i didnt figure you had an 8, my bad
Old May 8, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

1/4 mile is a good estimate on your car's performance. So you are telling me that the 400awhp sti has done this without going to a front mount. Search and you will find many evos pushing 400awhp on a stock block and turbo...I personally know of 1 in the dc that I have hung out before making 390 corrected with stock bottom and stock IX turbo.

oo derangedazn has hung with a guy that has 390 hp on a stock block and stock turbo. yayy!!

And yes, fmic's on STI's serve no additional purpose unless going with larger turbo's.

kind of like a cone filter type intake on stage one on an evo.

Quick Reply: STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched