Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derangedazn
1/4 mile is a good estimate on your car's performance. So you are telling me that the 400awhp sti has done this without going to a front mount. Search and you will find many evos pushing 400awhp on a stock block and turbo...I personally know of 1 in the dc that I have hung out before making 390 corrected with stock bottom and stock IX turbo.

1/4 is a lame excuse to own an awd rally car.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ddddddddana - just wondering why you keep knocking "meth or other cheater crap"? (Pun intended). Considering you are familiar with world of turbos, why the hate for something proven effective?
Old May 8, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddddddana
oo derangedazn has hung with a guy that has 390 hp on a stock block and stock turbo. yayy!!

And yes, fmic's on STI's serve no additional purpose unless going with larger turbo's.

kind of like a cone filter type intake on stage one on an evo.
You stated there were any evos that could put down 400 to the wheels and be on a stock block and turbo, I gave you an example.

Who said I never drive my car...I take my car to the track to see how much speed I gain... I spend more time driving around mountain curves then I do at a 1/4 mile track.

I am stating that depending on the type of shopper you are....you can easily get a car to 350whp without spending more than $1500. Buy used parts, looks for deals, and install yourself...and bam you have it.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Evo's are better!?! You're on a Lancer/Lancer Evolution forum what did you expect the answers to be?
Old May 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prj.evo
Evo's are better!?! You're on a Lancer/Lancer Evolution forum what did you expect the answers to be?
SRT-4
Old May 8, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
ddddddddana - just wondering why you keep knocking "meth or other cheater crap"? (Pun intended). Considering you are familiar with world of turbos, why the hate for something proven effective?

You are not reading the entire thing.

I am not against meth or nitrous or any other cheater crap.

me and degreiornewrowhatever were talking about amount of HP on a stock turbo and stock block without the use of that stuff, thats all.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

You stated there were any evos that could put down 400 to the wheels and be on a stock block and turbo, I gave you an example.

Who said I never drive my car...I take my car to the track to see how much speed I gain... I spend more time driving around mountain curves then I do at a 1/4 mile track.

I am stating that depending on the type of shopper you are....you can easily get a car to 350whp without spending more than $1500. Buy used parts, looks for deals, and install yourself...and bam you have it.
you mis-typed on your first sentence. and i don't recall ever saying that evo's cant get 400awhp hp on an evo stock turbo/stock motor. you asked me what i've seen on an STI and i stated 400awhp

and i NEVER said you don't drive your car either, i said keep the cruise control comments to yourself because it doesnt apply to you.

and ok, you can get to 350awhp on EITHER CAR with $1500.

My original post was not to rag on Evo's, just state that the same power was available at the same price on an STI, kk????
Old May 8, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prj.evo
This is a perfect example of how close minded people can be on these EVO forums which i talked about.

Evo's are only better because we are on an Evo forum, i suppose.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

SRT-4
+1
Old May 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Baseline on my completely stock evo IX MR is around 226hp on a dyno dynamics at DB Performance.

I then added the following
TBE ($200 ebay)
MBC ($35) set to 23psi

91 octane and ecuflash tuning did 291hp/279tq.

Then purchased
1000cc inj ($250)
255hp Walbro ($80)
E85 fuel

Car is not finished tuned but it is putting down 328hp/337tq at 11:1 AFR and 14 degrees peak timing at 26psi. We are going to lean it out and add more timing.

I don't care about what these numbers read on a dyno jet (though known to be about 18% lower) what I do know for a fact is that $235 in mods bought me 75hp and $570 total in mods bought me a total of 102hp/and well over 100tq. The scooby's here fight to gain an additional 100hp on this dyno without a turbo swap and additional mods.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TalonFiero
Baseline on my completely stock evo IX MR is around 226hp on a dyno dynamics at DB Performance.

I then added the following
TBE ($200 ebay)
MBC ($35) set to 23psi

91 octane and ecuflash tuning did 291hp/279tq.

Then purchased
1000cc inj ($250)
255hp Walbro ($80)
E85 fuel

Car is not finished tuned but it is putting down 328hp/337tq at 11:1 AFR and 14 degrees peak timing at 26psi. We are going to lean it out and add more timing.

I don't care about what these numbers read on a dyno jet (though known to be about 18% lower) what I do know for a fact is that $235 in mods bought me 75hp and $570 total in mods bought me a total of 102hp/and well over 100tq. The scooby's here fight to gain an additional 100hp on this dyno without a turbo swap and additional mods.

check the link i posted earlier .. i beg to differ.

And try running on 91 so we can see where you really stand
Old May 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by yenny
Hi, I'm not newbie to the site or cars (including awd turbo). I'm just new to posting here. I've been mainly researching behind the scenes on here. I'm also on the subaru websites, and drive a an 07 base non-turbo impreza now to give you an idea of where I'm coming from and I'm 26 years old.

I pretty much know the pros and cons of both cars. I also have test driven both of them.

Evo IX=great to mod, great track, interior not as great as STi except for recaros, exterior is subjective, more responsive steering, faster than STi stock (even though it doesn't feel like it, which comes into play later), more of a race bred car, etc.

STi = $$$ to mod, nice interior if you're into the 2 tone (except limited model), exterior is subjective, cruise control, 6 disc cd, auto climate, temp gauge, more of a daily driver, etc

I don't autoX or even drag at the track. I had a 350z for a year and wasn't completely happy (lack of interior space was a small factor). The main reason I didnt like the Z is because driving it in the city was boring. The Z was fun to drive on the highway, but not without breaking the speed limit. In the city, it wasn't that fun since the speed was so linear making it "feel" slow.

I am looking for a fun car to drive in the city (read as under 60mph). I love the low end torque of the STi for this. Driving it up to 4-5k rpm in the city, without really stomping on it was fun. I felt the torque, and some of the lag made the car appear like it was faster than it may actually be (reminds me of the VTEC in my old prelude) And a few months earlier, I loved the 06/07 STi look, interior and out, making it a simple choice. I was determined at the time to eventually get an STi.

Recently however, I am beginning to like the Evo's appearance a lot more (excluding the X). The interior doesnt bother me and the exterior looks better than the STi's. But test driving the Evo wasn't as thrilling as the STi (since the STi's "feel" faster, bigger displ., smaller turbo, etc). My question is with $2000 in mods and getting ~310?awhp, will the low end torque dramatically improve and "feel" as fun/torquey as the STi? And will I feel this power with just daily driving, no launching, and staying under 60mph? I don't go on the highway often, so a high reving, weak low end torque car (e.g. S2000, stock evo), is not what I am looking for.

I did test drive both cars fairly hard, redlining going through the gears.

I've also had some experience in my friends mustangs and vettes, but it's not what i'm looking for.

If I had the autobahn to use or tracked the car, then the decision would be easy - Evo. I've done a lot of searching on here, nasioc, and iwsti and haven't quite found the answer to what I'm looking for. Please help me out....and thanks.
It is really up to you, since you've driven both cars. I drive my Evo daily and it suits me just fine. Another thing to keep in mind though is, if you are a DIY kinda guy, you might want to actually open up the hood on both cars and see a world of difference in terms of parts and engine layout.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

How about you get an evo and an sti
Old May 8, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are many dynographs posted on this site showing Evo IXs making 340-360whp on stg1 mods and pump gas. Stg1 mods only cost $1270 according to my signature and average out to 330whp on a base flash. Turn that into a custom flash for $200 more and you have your ~350whp for $1500. That's without going cheap on anything, too. If people toss on an Ebay exhaust and do some self-tuning with Ecuflash, they can spend less than $500 and make similar power if they know what they're doing and don't mind having an Ebay exhaust.

As for Subies making 400whp on the stock motor and stock turbo "without cheater crap," you gotta be kidding me. There are LOTS of Evos doing 400whp on the stock motor and stock turbo, but it obviously requires meth/alky injection or race gas. How else do you run enough boost to make that much power? gimme a break. Up through 06, STi's couldn't make jack squat for power on the stock turbo, so get real. If 07s are miraculously making 400whp with the stock turbo on pump gas, then great...congratulations.

As for STi's making 350whp with $1500, you'd have to be the most gullible person on this Earth to think that the parts in this LINK will put an STi at 350whp. Please GOD tell me you don't really believe that. Did you look at the parts?

- Cat-back (jesus, just a cat-back???)
- EcuTek flash
- Crank pulley (laf)
- drop-in filter

Good God...I have raced my Evo so many times at the drag strip, autox, and road course, and I have _never_ in my life seen an STi put down 350whp with just those basic mods. You cannot freakin possibly believe that crap. The Vivid site claims 390 _crank_ horsepower despite not using an engine dyno, which means they are guessing. 390 crank does not equal 350whp. The STI _claims_ 300 at the crank in stock form but only makes 225-230whp or so. If you take that same 25% drivetrain loss and apply it to a GUESS of 390 crank, that gives you 292WHP. If you only apply a 20% loss, that's 312whp. Get a clue, dude...

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 8, 2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

rawr

Quick Reply: STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched