Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddddddana
check the link i posted earlier .. i beg to differ.

And try running on 91 so we can see where you really stand
Sorry my post may have been confusing, I'll try to esxplain it better.

On 91 octane and $235 in mods (TBE MBC) is made 291hp/279tq @23psi 75hp gain over stock for $235 in hardware

On e85 and $570 in mods (TBE, MBC, 1000cc injectors, 255 Pump) it made 328hp/337tq which is over a 100hp gain on e85 and $570 in total hardware.

Stock STIs dyno around 220-225hp and roughly 10 more ftlbs of torque than the evo IXs on a dyno dynamics. The full bolt on modded stis have put down 280-290hp on 91 on this same dyno (Much more than the $235 I spent).
Old May 8, 2007, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who the hell cares. Why are there like 3000 threads about this same damn thing? Deciding on which to buy ( the Evo vs STI ) should have nothing to do with power capability, because they both have about the same (they are both 4 cylinders). Test drive both cars and decide for yourself. Everyone has a different taste in cars, don't let others decide for you. You have a brain, use it and think for yourself.
Old May 8, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Ix makes good power with only TBE dropp in and BC.+ flash
easy 350 whp on dynojet.
me and my 2 friends made over 350 whp...with sean ivey

those two guys have those mods above . one is made 363whp another one 359 whp. 24 psi.
i made 359 whp 336 wtq. but i got extra stuff . FMIC and LICP +UICP. and HKS RS intake. at 23 psi. all in 80 farenheit..
and we ready for any 350 whp sti ...
since its been pruven many times
oh and the costs...
ebay down pipe ,ebay test pipe ,hks high power cat-back, Hallman MBC, K&N dropp in.and e-bay O2 housing.
put it this way well under $1500.

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 8, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old May 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You cannot freakin possibly believe that crap. The Vivid site claims 390 _crank_ horsepower despite not using an engine dyno, which means they are guessing. 390 crank does not equal 350whp. The STI _claims_ 300 at the crank in stock form but only makes 225-230whp or so. If you take that same 25% drivetrain loss and apply it to a GUESS of 390 crank, that gives you 292WHP. If you only apply a 20% loss, that's 312whp. Get a clue, dude...
+ 1 for the truth.....

p.s ddadadnndanndandna

As for the 1/4 mile being a silly way to prove power, its unfortunately the only real way of proving anything. Since all dyno's read differently, its nice to take the cars to the stomping grounds where 99% of the time i see evo's running mid 11's low 12's where as the STI's are mid 12's low 13's. sorry to make you sad
Old May 8, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

hey how about this ... the moments of thruth..

check this out

mods are :
04 sti : FP green, APS 650 FMIC, Perrin 820 cc injectors, TXS TBE,UTEC, Greddy Profec B2, Worx BOV, ETC...

340 whp.........well over $1500

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...66535526095359

how about this?
06 sti : Helix downpipe, borla exhaust, Ecuteck engine managment.

295 whp 333 wtq... maybe $1500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDFv009U5k

and finally over 350whp....

so here it is: 06 sti mods are:
deadbolt sz49, gruppe-s headers, godspeed turbo inlet, TurboXS TBE,Perrin 850 injectors,walbro 255 fuelpump,NGK 1 step colder spark plugs,APS CAI,

360 hp /360 tq with 95 octane..ho-hooo $$$$$.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-1V...elated&search=

So what you going to get for $1500 ???? to get 350 whp.... dude...????

and finally couple of dyno charts from your own forum....
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=700004&page=9
scroll down...or do what ever you want...to find me the $1500 =350 whp STI

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 8, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
hey big mouth! Some STI guys looks like never learn

check this out

mods are :
04 sti : FP green, APS 650 FMIC, Perrin 820 cc injectors, TXS TBE,UTEC, Greddy Profec B2, Worx BOV, ETC...

340 whp.........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...66535526095359

how about this?
06 sti : Helix downpipe, borla exhaust, Ecuteck engine managment.

295 whp 333 wtq...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDFv009U5k

THAT IS ULTRA IMPRESSIVE!!!! I think i will go out and spend $6067.00 to make a WHOPPING 340 whp on a dyno jet.. point taken, over priced for parts and it under performs. Just leave it stock if you buy it.

WRX FP Green Turbocharger $1,399.00
APS WRX STi DR725 Front Mount Intercooler $1,595.00
Perrin modified 820cc injectors Sale Price $469.00
TXS TBE $1200.00
TurboXS User Tunable Engine Controller $1,049.00
Greddy Profec b2 $354.99

Grand total for the turd on the dyno: $6066.99

BTW, im not doing this to be a dik i just hate when people compare these two cars. its been proven for about 4 years now that the EVO is easier to modify, handles more power with ease, and is cheaper to do so. I picked the evo just because of a video like that. Yes the STI is competitive in stock form, but that is where it ends.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

yenny: youve done your research and you love the STi more than the Evo. Go with the STi. also, check the link on my sig in case you havent seen it yet.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133

THAT IS ULTRA IMPRESSIVE!!!! I think i will go out and spend $6067.00 to make a WHOPPING 340 whp on a dyno jet.. point taken, over priced for parts and it under performs. Just leave it stock if you buy it.

WRX FP Green Turbocharger $1,399.00
APS WRX STi DR725 Front Mount Intercooler $1,595.00
Perrin modified 820cc injectors Sale Price $469.00
TXS TBE $1200.00
TurboXS User Tunable Engine Controller $1,049.00
Greddy Profec b2 $354.99

Grand total for the turd on the dyno: $6066.99

BTW, im not doing this to be a dik i just hate when people compare these two cars. its been proven for about 4 years now that the EVO is easier to modify, handles more power with ease, and is cheaper to do so. I picked the evo just because of a video like that. Yes the STI is competitive in stock form, but that is where it ends.
only reason i got in this, because this guy give out false infos.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddddddana
This is a perfect example of how close minded people can be on these EVO forums which i talked about.

Evo's are only better because we are on an Evo forum, i suppose.
Well Im certainly not going to buy an evo if I like STi's more.

Wouldnt you agree?
Old May 8, 2007, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

There are many dynographs posted on this site showing Evo IXs making 340-360whp on stg1 mods and pump gas. Stg1 mods only cost $1270 according to my signature and average out to 330whp on a base flash. Turn that into a custom flash for $200 more and you have your ~350whp for $1500. That's without going cheap on anything, too. If people toss on an Ebay exhaust and do some self-tuning with Ecuflash, they can spend less than $500 and make similar power if they know what they're doing and don't mind having an Ebay exhaust.

As for Subies making 400whp on the stock motor and stock turbo "without cheater crap," you gotta be kidding me. There are LOTS of Evos doing 400whp on the stock motor and stock turbo, but it obviously requires meth/alky injection or race gas. How else do you run enough boost to make that much power? gimme a break. Up through 06, STi's couldn't make jack squat for power on the stock turbo, so get real. If 07s are miraculously making 400whp with the stock turbo on pump gas, then great...congratulations.

As for STi's making 350whp with $1500, you'd have to be the most gullible person on this Earth to think that the parts in this LINK will put an STi at 350whp. Please GOD tell me you don't really believe that. Did you look at the parts?

- Cat-back (jesus, just a cat-back???)
- EcuTek flash
- Crank pulley (laf)
- drop-in filter

Good God...I have raced my Evo so many times at the drag strip, autox, and road course, and I have _never_ in my life seen an STi put down 350whp with just those basic mods. You cannot freakin possibly believe that crap. The Vivid site claims 390 _crank_ horsepower despite not using an engine dyno, which means they are guessing. 390 crank does not equal 350whp. The STI _claims_ 300 at the crank in stock form but only makes 225-230whp or so. If you take that same 25% drivetrain loss and apply it to a GUESS of 390 crank, that gives you 292WHP. If you only apply a 20% loss, that's 312whp. Get a clue, dude...
I cant beleive it but im agreeing with warrtalon!

But he is right, the numbers dont lie. And to say we are close minded???? You are just about retarded. im sure most of the people on this forum made some sort of decision as to what car they wanted to purchase and go from there. Its just so happens that you are on an evo forum arguing with evo owners about how subaru's almost compare.

1) they both have 4 doors
2) they both have awd
3) they both have turbos

Thats the comparisson of the two that i can think of. Now give up this pointlessness. if you want an argument continue posting here. if you want an ego trip start this thread on a subuaru forum.
Old May 8, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Robevo RS;4308977]Ix makes good power with only TBE dropp in and BC.+ flash
easy 350 whp on dynojet.
me and my 2 friends made over 350 whp...with sean ivey

QUOTE]

are you sure 350whp without a fuel pump? i got those exact same mods an i pushed 312 whp on a dynojet
Old May 8, 2007, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As the OP, I must say I was very surprised at the amount of replies since I posted the thread earlier today. The thread kinda digressed to an evo vs. sti battle of which can make the most hp with a stock setup, which wasn't what I was looking for.

I was just looking for an answer to if I were to put $2000 in an evo IX would it feel as torquey or more than a stock STi during city driving (low rpm) or is the increase in torque so high up in the powerband that you need to drive it above 4k to feel anything.

My scenario as I mentioned in my original post, is I like the looks of an Evo more than an STi. I can look past the interior creature comforts (6 cd, CC, nicer gauges, etc), the inline 4 sound vs boxer, and road noises from the Evo. The one thing I can't look past is the fun factor or torque at the low end since I'm not doing a lot of highway driving. I don't mind putting in $500-2000 into the Evo if I know that the huge increase in torque (which I know happens easily) will be felt sooner than a stock Evo. And all this is a result from driving the stock STi normally (not launching, or mashing the pedal) to 4-5k rpm being more fun (felt torquier) than the stock Evo doing the same thing.

Sorry, but none of this is any different from the other 10,000 Evo vs STI threads. We can make huge torque and huge power with basic mods. 310whp is a drop in the bucket on a IX.

Also, I don't think you should be lumping the 07 STi with the 06 or any previous STi. There's a major difference in power potential at least in terms of basic mods. I'm sure your Subie sites have already explained that.
Oh I think it is different.

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
Sounds like you would probably enjoy the STi more then if you want something that always feels torquey...
So an Evo with $1500 in mods still won't be more fun/torquier to drive than an STi in the city under normal driving conditions?

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
i say if your gonna dump money into a car, get an evo. you can drop 2000 into it, get it tuned and it will feel faster and be faster then a STi.

where the power is, is all in the parts you put on and how its tuned
This is pretty much the answer I'm looking for. Any others with comments about this? I'm sure it'll feel and definitely be faster on the highway where I can sprint 0-80mph or 1/4 mile race or track. But will it "feel" faster/torquier driving just in the city with no launches shifting at 4-5k?

Originally Posted by Sap12687
I like you review and most of what you say is on point. I would personally say that the evo would be a nice fit in your situation. The factory restricts a lot of what you're craving in exhaust modifications and fuel/timing conservations. I had the oppertunity to get behind the wheel of a stock evo after mine (roughly 330whp) and it felt like a totally different car. The powerband was short and weak and with a little effort (exhaust,flash) a healthy 3500 RPM kick in the pants can be found.

I've driven the STI as well and i know what you mean when talking about the "feeling" of being faster. Like you said its got a bit more low end out of the box most likely because of its shorter gearing, larger displacement, smaller turbo etc. You really can't go wrong either way.
In a stock STi I can feel myself being thrown back into the seat going from 5-50mph , whereas, I didn't feel that with a stock Evo (Yes I know why, and yes I know the Evo IS actually faster stock vs stock as well). But I just want that "feel". And if a $1500 modded Evo can give me that "kick in the pants" at 3500 rpm then great, I'll be saving up for an Evo...and case closed.

Originally Posted by rjdevo9_mr
both the evo & sti are a night and day difference as far as power delivery goes---you need to choose what you prefer the most and go with that ...this topic is old hat, but in general, if you want low-end torque go with the suby, if you want incredibly sharp handling go with the evo. i have both cars and you really won't be dissappointed with either---its really just a matter of preference
Yup, I know sharp handling = Evo hands down
and low end torque = STi
but does low end torque = Evo with $1500 in mods???

-------------------------------------------

And finally, I know I am comparing a modded Evo to a stock STi. But that's just how it applies to me. I have to compare apples to oranges in my situation.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeeez, so picky. Only you can answer this question, because none of us have a clue what "feels" good to you. There's still nothing in this thread that hasn't already been asked and answered a million times. There's tons and tons and TONS of dynographs showing torque curves/gains with stg1 mods. If you can't figure it out based off that, then go ride in someone's modded Evo. There's absolutely no way we can answer to your "feelings."
Old May 8, 2007, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Old May 8, 2007, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

^^ Bwahahahahahaha!

Quick Reply: STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched