Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
2007 motortrend test
"FINALIST: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR-Staff opinions are split like Mac/PC or Coke/Pepsi when it comes to the Evo and the WRX STI. The current camp holds that the pricier Evo is the more sophisticated implement; more neutral in its responses with better body motion control. These attributes clearly add up to better track times and test numbers. Perhaps out of fear of the entire competition devolving into an Evo/STI shouting match, the decision was made to bring just one, and the STI got voted off the island."
Old May 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow another one of these thread huh? What a freaking joke this debate of bench racing has become. Show me a thread, a car, whatever, on IWSTI that has a stock STI turbo setup internally gated making 400whp on pump gas....Not going to find it!!. I have almost 1500 posts on that site and finally a stock turbo STI hit 11's, but is using an external wastegate. I owned and modded to high hell and 04 STI. I spent over $5000 on just the turbo setup and another $1000 on just tuning. I made a whopping 320 whp on a mustang dyno where stock STI's put down 230 whp. This was on 91 octane. Other STI's with just stage 2 mods that were tuned that same day on the stock turbo made 20whp less than me. So $6000 for 20whp. Pretty freaking stupid! I was so pissed off after that I decided to throw on some meth so I could make some freaking power. With 91 and meth I made 412whp on a mustang dyno where stock STI's put down 210whp. The block lasted about 4 months before compression was dropped on all four cylinders due to a way to rich tune. I got rid of everything and I bought a IX.

The 07 STI is much more effiecent than the previous model years. It has revamped heads, gearing, turbo, and ecu. It will take to mods better than the previous years, but it still has yet to get into the 11's. There are plenty of evo's deep into the 11's with stock turbo. Its not rocket science. The evo has a larger turbo, and a more efficent engine setup. The evo is giving up 0.5 liters to the STI. Think about that logically. The best measure of power would be to have both cars with similar mods tuned the same day with the same climate on the same dyno. Then have them run the 1/4 with the same driver multiple times. The evo would still win.

Reliability goes right out the window when you start modifying any car. If you want to keep it stock then the STI would be more reliable. If you don't believe me look at consumer reports. Its all there in black and white. The impreza in all platforms has been a "recommended buy" ever since it came out. The Lancer has never made the list.

To the original poster. Since you never track or race the car, and never go on the highway. Why dont you just save yourself some time and money and purchase an econo car. Gas prices a really creeping up there. Plus you can save yourself and the rest of these forums the debate.

Last edited by evilempire76; May 9, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old May 9, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Top Gear Review

Ok, I'm sure you've picked one by now, but here is my fav review of the Evo Vs. the STI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOO9B2_50Oc
Old May 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Top Gear Did a review of this

Pretty straight forward. Skip to 5:43 if you want the punch line.
Old May 9, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
Ok, I'm sure you've picked one by now, but here is my fav review of the Evo Vs. the STI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOO9B2_50Oc
Nice! I don't remember seeing that episode.
Old May 9, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

wrx way better car then lancer ,but we talking about waaaay different cars when you bring up the evo vs lancer ....
and the Evo is right there if not ahead the STI reiability wise.
lancer vs wrx it's doesn't even worth to talk about it .The lancer is a crap,the wrx is a good quality car. but check out the % about they price differences.
no wonder way is so bad the lancer.
Old May 10, 2007, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Jeeez, so picky. Only you can answer this question, because none of us have a clue what "feels" good to you. There's still nothing in this thread that hasn't already been asked and answered a million times. There's tons and tons and TONS of dynographs showing torque curves/gains with stg1 mods. If you can't figure it out based off that, then go ride in someone's modded Evo. There's absolutely no way we can answer to your "feelings."
Yes, I know everyone has a different sense of that fast "feeling" and how torquey the car is. So the next step is to study up on the dynographs to see where all that torque in the modded evo falls. And #2 find a fellow Evo owner in Orlando or Gainesville FL to give me a ride in his stg 1 modded Evo. Any volunteers?

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
+5 million.

i can't believe that guy actually responded to 2-3 pages of this thread fighting for the STi...

it's not a bad car by any means, but in terms of making power on the stock turbo it's just not very efficient. dollar per hp the Evo can't be beat.

and like everybody already said, TRAP SPEED is the best indication of how much power a car really is making (relative to its gearing, weight, aero, etc) - all dyno's read differently.

the 400whp Sti you linked need a trap speed equivalent to that power to show that it's really making "400whp" - then again wtf does that even mean? my car makes 380whp right now............... on a dynopack.

to the OP - my IX has the basic stage 1 mods right now makin around 315-330whp on 91 oct. on typical dynojets - and under 2500rpm it does feel less responsive than the 04 STi with tbe and tune that i drove a while back....
like aforementioned you have to drive both cars (modded Evo) because none of us really know what's really "fun" for you. you can look at dyno graphs to see the spool up.

my IX right now, in 2nd gear around 3500rpm has a really nice kick to it, whereas the Sti feels more linear since the torque comes on smoother (smaller turbo + 2.5L vs. 2.0L + bigger turbo) - but relatively speaking the Sti's top end feels a bit weaker.

good luck in your decision.
This is the type of info. I'm searching for...thanks. And yes someone needs to give me a ride in their Evo!!!

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
Based on this quote, buy the STi. The STi has great low-end power for daily driving within the city. Even when you start to mod the STi with EM, downpipe, exhaust, the gains will be most noticable in the low rpms. So, you can have you Corvette and Mustang torque and feel in a AWD Subaru.

Mike
Yep, I definitely know that the STi will drive with more torque in the low rpm range. And it would be a simple decision if I didnt like the look of an Evo over the STi so much. I'm still going to search a little more though to see if the modded Stg 1 Evo matches a stock STi a little more on the low end (i.e. below 4k) because then I can get both looks and performance (well for me the fun factor)

Originally Posted by Pegasus
Wow another one of these thread huh? What a freaking joke this debate of bench racing has become. Show me a thread, a car, whatever, on IWSTI that has a stock STI turbo setup internally gated making 400whp on pump gas....Not going to find it!!. I have almost 1500 posts on that site and finally a stock turbo STI hit 11's, but is using an external wastegate. I owned and modded to high hell and 04 STI. I spent over $5000 on just the turbo setup and another $1000 on just tuning. I made a whopping 320 whp on a mustang dyno where stock STI's put down 230 whp. This was on 91 octane. Other STI's with just stage 2 mods that were tuned that same day on the stock turbo made 20whp less than me. So $6000 for 20whp. Pretty freaking stupid! I was so pissed off after that I decided to throw on some meth so I could make some freaking power. With 91 and meth I made 412whp on a mustang dyno where stock STI's put down 210whp. The block lasted about 4 months before compression was dropped on all four cylinders due to a way to rich tune. I got rid of everything and I bought a IX.

The 07 STI is much more effiecent than the previous model years. It has revamped heads, gearing, turbo, and ecu. It will take to mods better than the previous years, but it still has yet to get into the 11's. There are plenty of evo's deep into the 11's with stock turbo. Its not rocket science. The evo has a larger turbo, and a more efficent engine setup. The evo is giving up 0.5 liters to the STI. Think about that logically. The best measure of power would be to have both cars with similar mods tuned the same day with the same climate on the same dyno. Then have them run the 1/4 with the same driver multiple times. The evo would still win.

Reliability goes right out the window when you start modifying any car. If you want to keep it stock then the STI would be more reliable. If you don't believe me look at consumer reports. Its all there in black and white. The impreza in all platforms has been a "recommended buy" ever since it came out. The Lancer has never made the list.

To the original poster. Since you never track or race the car, and never go on the highway. Why dont you just save yourself some time and money and purchase an econo car. Gas prices a really creeping up there. Plus you can save yourself and the rest of these forums the debate.
That's what I have right now. An 07 impreza 2.5i (This may also be why I'm not liking the Subaru front end as much...I may be getting tired of it). And I love driving cars that perform, and love the sound of the spool - so no more N/A cars. I'll pick performance over luxury so I'm ok with buying a high performance car and never really pushing it to it's limit all the time. I take every turn slightly faster than the average driver and accelerate slightly faster from every stop light. I say slightly because I don't make an a$$ out of myself by peeling out at every light or taking corners like a mad man with cars around me endangering the public.

As for the debate issue...I wasn't trying to start an argument amongst the two cars. They are both great cars in my book, and unique in their own way. I was just curious as to whether or not a Stage 1 evo would have more torque (and thus be more "fun" to drive) before 4k rpm than a stock STi making it more fun to drive in the city.
Old May 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

the sti is more fun to drive in the city.
Old May 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly, I don't think you would be able to replicate the low end power/torque set up Sti gives you with stock evo 2 liter block.
STis have .5 liter displacement advantage with smaller turbo to boot to give you that "instant" power feel with very little turbo lag.
Although you could improve evo's low and mid range power substantially with proper mods, you just are not going to get that feel unless you go with the stroker set up.
If that is one of the most important things you are looking for in your car choice, I would defintely recommend STi.
All "my car is better than your car" macho bravados aside, you really can't go wrong with either car.
It truly is a personal choice.
Old May 10, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sti2evo9mr
Honestly, I don't think you would be able to replicate the low end power/torque set up Sti gives you with stock evo 2 liter block.
STis have .5 liter displacement advantage with smaller turbo to boot to give you that "instant" power feel with very little turbo lag.
Although you could improve evo's low and mid range power substantially with proper mods, you just are not going to get that feel unless you go with the stroker set up.
If that is one of the most important things you are looking for in your car choice, I would defintely recommend STi.
All "my car is better than your car" macho bravados aside, you really can't go wrong with either car.
It truly is a personal choice.
+1

but do test drive a normal "stage 1" Evo IX and see how you like it around town. sure it lacks a bit of punch under 2500rpm, but anywhere above that you're having lots of fun.

i came from honda's, so i'm used to revving a bit. with the Evo you don't have to rev that much, around 3200rpm is where you'll feel the torque rush, this is very fun on the streets for me personally.

good luck bud
Old May 13, 2007, 12:29 AM

I need someone to drive me in slightly modded evo!!!!!

Anyone?
Old May 13, 2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by yenny
I need someone to drive me in slightly modded evo!!!!!

Anyone?
where in florida are you??
Old May 13, 2007, 11:27 AM

mainly gainesville but orlando too, i tend to go back and forth for weekends