Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched

Hi, I'm not newbie to the site or cars (including awd turbo). I'm just new to posting here. I've been mainly researching behind the scenes on here. I'm also on the subaru websites, and drive a an 07 base non-turbo impreza now to give you an idea of where I'm coming from and I'm 26 years old.

I pretty much know the pros and cons of both cars. I also have test driven both of them.

Evo IX=great to mod, great track, interior not as great as STi except for recaros, exterior is subjective, more responsive steering, faster than STi stock (even though it doesn't feel like it, which comes into play later), more of a race bred car, etc.

STi = $$$ to mod, nice interior if you're into the 2 tone (except limited model), exterior is subjective, cruise control, 6 disc cd, auto climate, temp gauge, more of a daily driver, etc

I don't autoX or even drag at the track. I had a 350z for a year and wasn't completely happy (lack of interior space was a small factor). The main reason I didnt like the Z is because driving it in the city was boring. The Z was fun to drive on the highway, but not without breaking the speed limit. In the city, it wasn't that fun since the speed was so linear making it "feel" slow.

I am looking for a fun car to drive in the city (read as under 60mph). I love the low end torque of the STi for this. Driving it up to 4-5k rpm in the city, without really stomping on it was fun. I felt the torque, and some of the lag made the car appear like it was faster than it may actually be (reminds me of the VTEC in my old prelude) And a few months earlier, I loved the 06/07 STi look, interior and out, making it a simple choice. I was determined at the time to eventually get an STi.

Recently however, I am beginning to like the Evo's appearance a lot more (excluding the X). The interior doesnt bother me and the exterior looks better than the STi's. But test driving the Evo wasn't as thrilling as the STi (since the STi's "feel" faster, bigger displ., smaller turbo, etc). My question is with $2000 in mods and getting ~310?awhp, will the low end torque dramatically improve and "feel" as fun/torquey as the STi? And will I feel this power with just daily driving, no launching, and staying under 60mph? I don't go on the highway often, so a high reving, weak low end torque car (e.g. S2000, stock evo), is not what I am looking for.

I did test drive both cars fairly hard, redlining going through the gears.

I've also had some experience in my friends mustangs and vettes, but it's not what i'm looking for.

If I had the autobahn to use or tracked the car, then the decision would be easy - Evo. I've done a lot of searching on here, nasioc, and iwsti and haven't quite found the answer to what I'm looking for. Please help me out....and thanks.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but none of this is any different from the other 10,000 Evo vs STI threads. We can make huge torque and huge power with basic mods. 310whp is a drop in the bucket on a IX.

Also, I don't think you should be lumping the 07 STi with the 06 or any previous STi. There's a major difference in power potential at least in terms of basic mods. I'm sure your Subie sites have already explained that.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you would probably enjoy the STi more then if you want something that always feels torquey...
Old May 8, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i say if your gonna dump money into a car, get an evo. you can drop 2000 into it, get it tuned and it will feel faster and be faster then a STi.

where the power is, is all in the parts you put on and how its tuned
Old May 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

for 2000 youll get a lot more than 310 awhp if you know where to look, and yes youll feel the difference without passingg 60. If you invest 2000 on it the car will be very quick. I spent 900 total and got 312 whp the difference is inmense from stock.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

the evo responds to mods way better than the sti
if you spend 2k on a evo and 2k on the sti the evo will kill the sti
i have raced sti's with aftermarket turbos on them and i ate them up, my biggest mod was cams right then
i test drove a 06 sti befor i bought the evo and dident like it,there was only one thing i liked about the 06 sti that was the shifter it jus felt better than the stock evo shifter,but nuw i got a B&M shifter and all the steel mounts mine feels better now
go with the evo you will be much happier
Old May 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

I like you review and most of what you say is on point. I would personally say that the evo would be a nice fit in your situation. The factory restricts a lot of what you're craving in exhaust modifications and fuel/timing conservations. I had the oppertunity to get behind the wheel of a stock evo after mine (roughly 330whp) and it felt like a totally different car. The powerband was short and weak and with a little effort (exhaust,flash) a healthy 3500 RPM kick in the pants can be found.

I've driven the STI as well and i know what you mean when talking about the "feeling" of being faster. Like you said its got a bit more low end out of the box most likely because of its shorter gearing, larger displacement, smaller turbo etc. You really can't go wrong either way.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

talk to people who own, or have owned both.

you cant really expect anything but for everyone to suggest EVO's in an EVO forum.

Go with the STI. Much better features (Interior, looks, HID's, Cruise control etc.).

I like my STI better than the evo.

all these guys say well if you dump $2k into the car it'll be faster.

I know of $1500 that will get you 390 crank hp in an sti (approx 350awhp)

So don't listen to that B.S.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddddddana

you cant really expect anything but for everyone to suggest EVO's in an EVO forum.

Go with the STI. Much better features (Interior, looks, HID's, Cruise control etc.).

$1,500 will get you up to 350 whp in an Evo if done properly.

All Evo's other than the base model come with HIDs.

Not to be an ***, but why would you want or care about having cruise control in either an Evo or and Sti. If you want CC, get a minivan.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have to disagree with ddddddana. My brother owns a 07 sti and I own a evo 8 which has a smaller turbo then the evo 9. He got himself a copp ap and turboback exhaust which came to around 1500$. I myself have spent around the same money on my evo and I spank him all day and all night. This is on a stock evo 8 turbo if I had a 9 I'd leave him even further behind. I love his sti love my evo in the end it's up to you. just my .02 cents.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you! Get an STI! I'm tired of seeing Evo's everywhere!
Old May 8, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

You have a dilema dont you lol

I say the STI is a better daily driver, and the interior is more ergonomically suitable than that of the evo's... Personally Owning a IX I would be bias telling you how much of a better ride it is than the STI, but my cousin has an 07 STI and i really dont like the steering. The seats are nice. Cant stand not having metal around my windows either.

I would personally HATE having to get my car tuned EVERY time i put a mod on it... 3"tbe needs tuned... bov/intake needs tuned... everything makes the car run like crap without a tune. So if you do get one, mod it ALL at once, and tune it ALL at once.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoFlash
I have to disagree with ddddddana. My brother owns a 07 sti and I own a evo 8 which has a smaller turbo then the evo 9. He got himself a copp ap and turboback exhaust which came to around 1500$. I myself have spent around the same money on my evo and I spank him all day and all night. This is on a stock evo 8 turbo if I had a 9 I'd leave him even further behind. I love his sti love my evo in the end it's up to you. just my .02 cents.
You're brother ****ed up haha.

Do this .. $1539.99 (unless you have a hook up )

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/34984
Old May 8, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by McDougal
$1,500 will get you up to 350 whp in an Evo if done properly.

All Evo's other than the base model come with HIDs.

Not to be an ***, but why would you want or care about having cruise control in either an Evo or and Sti. If you want CC, get a minivan.

1st of all, you wont get 350awhp in an evo without meth or something stupid, so shh.

2nd of all, RS and GSR (most common model) dont come with HID's, so shh.

and 3rd of all, does everyone race street light to street light. people can enjoy an EVO or STI without racing it constantly. for anyone with a long communte, Cruise Control isn't a bad thing at all .. soo SHHH!
Old May 8, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

1st of all, you wont get 350awhp in an evo without meth or something stupid, so shh.

2nd of all, RS and GSR (most common model) dont come with HID's, so shh.

and 3rd of all, does everyone race street light to street light. people can enjoy an EVO or STI without racing it constantly. for anyone with a long communte, Cruise Control isn't a bad thing at all .. soo SHHH!
thread has been destroyed

Ok, i bought:

o2/manifold combo $450
Mbc $25
TBE (used) $300
Tune $300

Total Cost: $1075.00

Ending result :
330WHP on bushurs mustang dyno.
That is basically equivalent to 380+ WHP on a dynojet

I didnt mention the word Crank HP once... What does that STI put to the wheels.

Last edited by Peteypab2133; May 8, 2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot total value meal!

Quick Reply: STi vs. Evo revisited, don't flame me, have searched