Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Stages?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joah1660
I agree...go catless and get a test pipe. Our cars are not that loud without a cat.

if you still use the stock muffler its not much louder
Old May 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich EVO MR SE
Do you guys have any idea how much the fine is if you get caught with a Test Pipe/No CAT ??? You'll probably think twice and buy a High Flo CAT. Not worth it at all IMO.
How much is it?

Many states don't require a cat. They require you pass emissions tests (which includes elecronic testing for the presence of a cat). Those are two different things.
Old May 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
stock intake box is supposed to be good up to ~400hp.

some tuner recently posted that like 365 was the max hp you could get out of the stock airbox before it became a restriction.
Old May 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Do you guys have any idea how much the fine is if you get caught with a Test Pipe/No CAT ??? You'll probably think twice and buy a High Flo CAT. Not worth it at all IMO.

up to 2500 bills

number 11
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf
Old May 12, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
Where'd you get your list of stages?
I simply made them up; It's my car. I described what made sense to me and is working for me. Maybe it would work for someone else. Maybe not.

And what happens if I do nothing at all except for Meth?
Ah...you have to keep your bottle filled! If not, KA-BOOM!

This is your car, right? So you can mod it anyway you choose. However, I think you might be the only modded EVO with just Meth.

Stage 3.5 cause it's midway between 7 and 1?
Let's see. Seven divided by two. Yep, your right, 3.5.
Old May 12, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Where are you located, Rich? I was not aware of anyone getting fined for a test pipe. I know I plan to swap the cat in for the annual test/inspection. But, I'm not aware of anyone being fined even if they failed the visual inspection.
Old May 12, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Where are you located, Rich? I was not aware of anyone getting fined for a test pipe. I know I plan to swap the cat in for the annual test/inspection. But, I'm not aware of anyone being fined even if they failed the visual inspection.
Now you're aware.

Last edited by Rich EVO MR SE; May 13, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

My buddy who is a Boston cop said that they are really crackin down on the emissions stuff now and the fines are very hefty, I'll try to get some actual #'s for you guys. He also mentioned something about a 50 state law that will potentially screw everyone w/ out a CAT if passed. Someone chime in if you're more up on this stuff than I am.

Last edited by Rich EVO MR SE; May 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old May 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Huh? The test pipe doesn't get you pulled over. Just having an exhaust is all it takes - it's mainly the cat-back that gets you pulled over. Also, a test pipe makes _AT LEAST_ 10whp over an HFC. The HFC makes almost no power over the stock cat and is not worth the $200+.

Saying you'll get pulled over in no time from a test pipe is a farce - just wanted to be clear.

OP, there is no stage 1 for Evos. There are only stage 1s for vendors. Different vendors have different staged packages with different parts...
This guy doesn't understand that having a test pipe is against the law. Having a CAT back on the other hand will NOT get you a fat fine. Alot of people on this forum are ignorant and think they know everything. I would rarely take anyone's advice on here. I figured that out pretty quickly.

Last edited by Rich EVO MR SE; May 13, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Folks that keep recommending running catless for street driving are providing bad / illegal advice (yes even Warrtalon). Most states are getting very serious about emissions and running a TP / no cat. could result in huge fines as previously posted.

Additionally if you are running a catless car and are running a tad rich, like many on here are, there is a good chance you could be shooting flames (which will make your car a nice target at night). I am sure many have been able to get away with running catless, but it is illegal and you will eventually get caught (even you Warrtalon).
Old May 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

This guy doesn't understand that having a test pipe is against the law. Having a CAT back on the other hand will NOT get you a fat fine. Alot of people on this forum are ignorant and think they know everything. I would rarely take anyone's advice on here. I figured that out pretty quickly.
Apparently, you don't understand what he was saying! Warrtalon was simply stating that having no cat will not get you pulled over initially, but a catback will make you a target, then comes the fine for no cat! Warrtalon's advice was correct and true and people should listen to him! I personaly have never been asked (even in Cali) or checked for "no cat". The loud cat back will get the attention of a cop because its something you can see and hear, not having a cat is only something you can feel.

BTW I have seen many evo's throw flames with cats on, so there is no fair way to tell unless you look under the car. If we just not drive like a jack ###'s then the cops will never have a good reason to pull us over and check everything out!

Last edited by esevo; May 13, 2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old May 13, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Depends which Cat-back you match to it. My buddies Evo is deafening at idle with a 3"DP, 3"Test Pipe, and 3" Cat-back.
deafening at idle, you must have very sensitive ears :P
Old May 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

If you ever behind a car w/o a catalytic converter it is quite awful, especially in bumper to bumper traffic.

As far as the legality of the exhaust system, I thought it was illegal in ALL states to alter / tamper with the emissions equipment. I will have to do some research...
Old May 13, 2007, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

technically i dont think you can modify the exhaust at all

www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm
Old May 13, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ntwaddel
technically i dont think you can modify the exhaust at all

www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm
Agreed that was my point...

So back on topic -- just go with the big tuners and you cannot go wrong...If you want the car to be 100% street legal just make sure all the parts / mods are CARB certified.