Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Stages?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stages?

what is stage 1 for evos....? stage 2 etc just wondering...cat back...exhast?going catless TELL ME !
Old May 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

My mods below are stage 1.
Old May 12, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here are some sites that have basic stages that are good to follow. usually the first thing to do is an exhaust boost controller fuel pump and a tune, then intake and cams and intercooler and another tune for the intake. then turbo upgrades. these two company's have the best put together stages imo and also make great products. good luck

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...p?cPath=22_111

plus i would recomend a custom flash over an safc

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...3d723740088e86

also for the extra power i would definately go catless so get a testpipe over a high flow cat but thats just me. good luck
Old May 12, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evobeatsti
here are some sites that have basic stages that are good to follow. usually the first thing to do is an exhaust boost controller fuel pump and a tune, then intake and cams and intercooler and another tune for the intake. then turbo upgrades. these two company's have the best put together stages imo and also make great products. good luck

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...p?cPath=22_111

plus i would recomend a custom flash over an safc

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...3d723740088e86

also for the extra power i would definately go catless so get a testpipe over a high flow cat but thats just me. good luck
Yup, I agree, but not w/ getting a test pipe. You'll be pulled over in no time driving on the streets with a loud exhaust and getting pulled over isn't worth the extra power, which is maybe 5hp more than a High Flo CAT.
Old May 12, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

I agree...go catless and get a test pipe. Our cars are not that loud without a cat.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich EVO MR SE
Yup, I agree, but not w/ getting a test pipe. You'll be pulled over in no time driving on the streets with a loud exhaust and getting pulled over isn't worth the extra power, which is maybe 5hp more than a High Flo CAT.
Huh? The test pipe doesn't get you pulled over. Just having an exhaust is all it takes - it's mainly the cat-back that gets you pulled over. Also, a test pipe makes _AT LEAST_ 10whp over an HFC. The HFC makes almost no power over the stock cat and is not worth the $200+.

Saying you'll get pulled over in no time from a test pipe is a farce - just wanted to be clear.

OP, there is no stage 1 for Evos. There are only stage 1s for vendors. Different vendors have different staged packages with different parts...
Old May 12, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joah1660
I agree...go catless and get a test pipe. Our cars are not that loud without a cat.
Depends which Cat-back you match to it. My buddies Evo is deafening at idle with a 3"DP, 3"Test Pipe, and 3" Cat-back.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:40 PM

I have been using mine with no exhaust damn thing is loud but got pulled over and that was the last thing they worried about,, they didnt care at all
Old May 12, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Huh? The test pipe doesn't get you pulled over. Just having an exhaust is all it takes - it's mainly the cat-back that gets you pulled over. Also, a test pipe makes _AT LEAST_ 10whp over an HFC. The HFC makes almost no power over the stock cat and is not worth the $200+.

Saying you'll get pulled over in no time from a test pipe is a farce - just wanted to be clear.

OP, there is no stage 1 for Evos. There are only stage 1s for vendors. Different vendors have different staged packages with different parts...
My exhaust is very quiet w/ the High Flo Cat, louder w/ a test pipe, pretty obvious. A test pipe will bring up the volume significantly and could also be the cause for you to get pulled over or attract attention. I'll agree that the gains are good w/ a test pipe though. I just hate loud exhausts so I might be biased.

Last edited by Rich EVO MR SE; May 12, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

i have a full 3in with 4in muffler outlet/testpipe...havent been pulled over yet had it for 2 months so far..this is FL mind you(the pigs are pretty porky here)
Old May 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

One of my favorite cartoon strips is Mutts. The lazy cat gets up one morning and looks at the day's todo list - it reads: 1. Breath in, 2. Breath out. The cat says, "I'm sure glad I have this list."

The key to improving turbo engine performance is breathing - breath in, breath out - it really is that simple. Every mod you do should enhance breathing, or support better breathing. IMNSHO, here is what I see as basic EVO stages - I'm referencing an VIII, since that is what I drive:

Stage 1
Intake, or High-flow drop-in filter - stock intake box is supposed to be good up to ~400hp. I use the stock box due to the heat in the desert; I'd like to at least try to get some cooler air than what is under the hood.
TBE - full 3" (Turbo Back Exhaust) - down pipe, test pipe, high-flow cat-back.
Tuning will be required to maximize these mods. I did not do a tune at this point, and still felt significant power increase.

Stage 2
All of the small stuff required/suggested to support a modded EVO:
BPV (By Pass Valve) a/k/a BOV (Blow Off Valve) - replace the OEM plastic piece known to often leak.
Copper spark plugs - NGK BR7ES gapped to 0.028"-0.032”.
MBC (Manual Boost Controller) - yes, the expensive ones are far better than the cheapy ones. This is not a place to save money!
LICP - (Lower InterCooler Pipe) - the stock one has a rather long and tight restriction.
Fuel pump - OEM unit does not flow enough fuel on some cars at high rpms.
Tuning will be required to maximize these mods. I did not do a tune at this point.

Stage 3
Cams - this is the one mod that really brings a stock EVO to life, IMO.
At this point Mustang Dyno said 260hp/282trq. (Stock VIIIs make ~220/230.)
This is when I had my car tuned.
After custom tuning Mustang Dyno said 303hp/308trq on ACN91.

Stage 4
10.5 HS (Hot Side) - this is a larger turbine housing. I'm electing to substitute a gently used IX turbo at this point.
Exhaust manifold - (1) port the stock manifold; (2) equal length header - lots of options here.
O2 housing - a/k/a turbo dump pipe - lots of options here. eBay O2 is very popular among EvoM members.
Tune will be required to maximize these mods.

Stage 5
Larger than stock turbo upgrade or big bad turbo kit!
Depending on turbo choice, uprated fuel injectors may be needed at this point.
Tune will be required to maximize this stage.

Stage 6
Larger FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) - stock FMIC is good up to 350hp or so.
No tune will be required.

Stage 7
Water/Alcohol/Methanol Injection - helps (1) increase the effective octane rating of fuel and (2) provides evaporative cooling of air/fuel intake charge.
Tune will be required to maximize this mod.

I've been slowly working my way down the list since I acquired my VIII six months ago. Just doing one mod every couple of weeks as cash flow allows. I'm at Stage 3 right now; will be doing Stage 4 this week.
Old May 12, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

I would say save your money up and do a lot at once, one less down time, two less things to worry about stock. Most importantly buy the parts you want and like the most (good brands) You will never be more happy than going with good brands on your car, dont go cheap!!! This is an evo and you should just save until you can afford the parts you really want, worry about going fast later.

"Whats fast and cheap isnt reliable
whats reliable and cheap isnt fast
and whats fast and reliable isnt cheap!"
Old May 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evroomm
what is stage 1 for evos....? stage 2 etc just wondering...cat back...exhast?going catless TELL ME !
If you use the term "stage" to describe parts on your car, you are really displaying your car ignorance.

Stages don't mean anything. It's a way for a "tuner" or "manufacturer" to label their kits. That's it. Tuners don't use corroborate and come up with any sort of standardization. (As you can see from the other posts in this thread)

Whenever I see people talking about "oh it's a stage 7 car" , I know they are completely retarded and don't know squat. Don't ever refer to things in "stages". Instead, how bout a quick list of important modifications. It's actually descriptive.
Old May 12, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
One of my favorite cartoon strips is Mutts. The lazy cat gets up one morning and looks at the day's todo list - it reads: 1. Breath in, 2. Breath out. The cat says, "I'm sure glad I have this list."

The key to improving turbo engine performance is breathing - breath in, breath out - it really is that simple. Every mod you do should enhance breathing, or support better breathing. IMNSHO, here is what I see as basic EVO stages - I'm referencing an VIII, since that is what I drive:

Stage 1
Intake, or High-flow drop-in filter - stock intake box is supposed to be good up to ~400hp. I use the stock box due to the heat in the desert; I'd like to at least try to get some cooler air than what is under the hood.
TBE - full 3" (Turbo Back Exhaust) - down pipe, test pipe, high-flow cat-back.
Tuning will be required to maximize these mods. I did not do a tune at this point, and still felt significant power increase.

Stage 2
All of the small stuff required/suggested to support a modded EVO:
BPV (By Pass Valve) a/k/a BOV (Blow Off Valve) - replace the OEM plastic piece known to often leak.
Copper spark plugs - NGK BR7ES gapped to 0.028"-0.032”.
MBC (Manual Boost Controller) - yes, the expensive ones are far better than the cheapy ones. This is not a place to save money!
LICP - (Lower InterCooler Pipe) - the stock one has a rather long and tight restriction.
Fuel pump - OEM unit does not flow enough fuel on some cars at high rpms.
Tuning will be required to maximize these mods. I did not do a tune at this point.

Stage 3
Cams - this is the one mod that really brings a stock EVO to life, IMO.
At this point Mustang Dyno said 260hp/282trq. (Stock VIIIs make ~220/230.)
This is when I had my car tuned.
After custom tuning Mustang Dyno said 303hp/308trq on ACN91.

Stage 4
10.5 HS (Hot Side) - this is a larger turbine housing. I'm electing to substitute a gently used IX turbo at this point.
Exhaust manifold - (1) port the stock manifold; (2) equal length header - lots of options here.
O2 housing - a/k/a turbo dump pipe - lots of options here. eBay O2 is very popular among EvoM members.
Tune will be required to maximize these mods.

Stage 5
Larger than stock turbo upgrade or big bad turbo kit!
Depending on turbo choice, uprated fuel injectors may be needed at this point.
Tune will be required to maximize this stage.

Stage 6
Larger FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) - stock FMIC is good up to 350hp or so.
No tune will be required.

Stage 7
Water/Alcohol/Methanol Injection - helps (1) increase the effective octane rating of fuel and (2) provides evaporative cooling of air/fuel intake charge.
Tune will be required to maximize this mod.

I've been slowly working my way down the list since I acquired my VIII six months ago. Just doing one mod every couple of weeks as cash flow allows. I'm at Stage 3 right now; will be doing Stage 4 this week.

Where'd you get your list of stages?
And what happens if I do nothing at all except for Meth?
Stage 3.5 cause it's midway between 7 and 1?
Old May 12, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Do you guys have any idea how much the fine is if you get caught with a Test Pipe/No CAT ??? You'll probably think twice and buy a High Flo CAT. Not worth it at all IMO.

Last edited by Rich EVO MR SE; May 12, 2007 at 05:56 PM.